10 games in already

4 posters

Go down

10 games in already Empty 10 games in already

Post by dboss Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:01 pm

During the off season we discussed a lot of stuff but none of us had any idea that a new coach would be in place in time for media day.

Last season through 10 games the Celtics had a 4-6 record.

Our first 10 games this year have produced a 7-3 record.  That is a damn good record.  CJ was not working over the summer to be the head coach and the RW situation was not revealed until late September.

Offense

The Celtics offense has carried them during this early part of the season.   I really like their ball movement and spacing.  Their pace is up and down at different times during the game and I am a little disappointed that the consistency in scoring off of fast break opportunities has not quite become part of their DNA.  Their half-court offense displays a lot more off the ball cuts to the rim.  Grant Williams has taken another step forward and Sam Hauser is in our rotation because he can really shoot the ball at a very high level of efficiency.   The addition of Malcolm Brogdon has addressed a big need to have more guys that are playmakers.  Other than big AL, we are not getting much out of our center rotation.  And even with Al we simply do not have a vertical threat.  Our offense will get much better when Robert Williams returns.  His impact on offense goes way beyond those highlight reel dunks.  (great screener, passer and offensive rebounder)

Defense

The Celtics defense has surrendered too many points.  The scoring in the NBA is clearly up but that is not a very good excuse for having a poor defensive showing.    Both the Bucks (102.7 and the Cavs 105.4)  are playing last year's defense.  There are two areas that stand out.

Our perimeter defense has not been good.  Teams are shooting 36.6% from deep (Celts ranked 17th)  Last year we held opponents to 33.7%  (Celts ranked #1)  Our guys are not pressing up on the perimeter making it more difficult for opponents to get off 3 point shots.  We have enough depth to really get after it on the perimeter.  I blame the coach for allowing this to happen.  Coach Joe must hold those guys accountable.  It looks like a damn shooting gallery out there.

The 2nd area is the amount of points in the paint that we are surrendering.  Last year we were #2 in fewest PITP allowed (42) and through 10 games we are #12.  We are giving up 46.8 PITP per game.

The PITP issue will not be corrected until Robert Williams returns.  Opponents have no fear in coming in there.

Our perimeter defense will probably also see some improvement with Rob back because our guys can play more aggressively and play up on guys knowing Rob is back there to defend the paint.  However since the 3 pointer has become the weapon of choice I would rather see the team play tougher on the edge even if we give up more PITP.  The Celtics simply have to be better perimeter defenders without Robert Williams.

My first 10 game grade for this team is a B+  because they are playing .700 ball.  That projects to a 57 win season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

10 games in already Empty Re: 10 games in already

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:18 pm

Phenomenal offense, less than mediocre defense.  The return of The Time Lord will improve our defense, for sure.  He is an absolute game-changer.  He was in the conversation for DPOY last year, when Smart won.  My prediction is that, when he returns and our defense becomes a monster, he will be the frontrunner for DPOY.  Has one team ever won the DPOY in two consecutive years with two different players?  This could be that year.  The "before and after" picture of our defense when he comes back will be stark and that will fuel his DPOY ascendency.

Our bench is a revelation.  Remember last year's bench, how anemic is was?  Not this year.  What we've lost without RWill's presence we have gained with the production of Sam, Grant and Malcolm.

I was thinking, and I seem to remember most of this board was in agreement, that if we can just play .500 ball until RWill gets back we'll be in good shape because we'll tear up the league for the rest of the season.  Well, we're playing .700 ball through 10 and RWill is dunking in practice and traveling with the team.  It's not "basketball activities" yet but he's clearly getting his vertical athleticism back.

We're in better shape than I thought we'd be at this point.  I didn't think we'd be there the way we've gotten there, I never expected an elite offense and an underwhelming defense, but here we are. We are our record, as Doc used to say.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:53 pm

RWIII is clearly a game changer. But I'm liking the current baptism by fire approach as we have to regroup sans RWIII. He's clearly a huge blessing.

I was wondering about that. I saw RWIII's name in the box score with all zeros after having not been on the roster since season began. Usually if a player is out with injury, they don't even bother to list them on the box scores. Thanks for clearing that up, dboss!

All this is very optimistic and sounding VERY GOOD!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:17 pm

Doubling down. Play defense at the highest level possible without a rim protector. Start yesterday.
Rob coming back doesn’t guarantee anything because history dictates that he is oft injured. When Rob this and Rob that gets back is wishful thinking at best.
I’m looking at this team as they are currently constructed as if Rob will not be back. Shore up that D now.
Rob’s a luxury and always has been because we never know when….

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down