Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game

4 posters

Go down

Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game Empty Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game

Post by NYCelt Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:16 pm

https://nesn.com/2023/01/joe-mazzulla-celtics-staff-chosen-to-coach-in-nba-all-star-game/

Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game

Mazzulla will lead 'Team Giannis'

by Keagan Stiefel
16 hours ago

The views from the top are glorious, and Boston Celtics interim head coach Joe Mazzulla is going to find that out when he receives a first-hand look at the NBA’s brightest stars.

The NBA announced Monday that Mazzulla and the Boston Celtics staff were chosen to lead “Team Giannis” in the 2023 NBA All-Star Game in Salt Lake City.

Mazzulla will become the third coach in the last 24 seasons to guide an All-Star team in his first NBA season, earning the opportunity since the Celtics have already clinched the best record in the Eastern Conference through games played on Sunday, Feb. 5.

The 34-year-old becomes the eighth coach in Celtics history to be chosen to coach an NBA All-Star Game, joining Brad Stevens (2017), Doc Rivers (2008, 2011), Chris Ford (1991), K.C. Jones (1984-1987), Bill Fitch (1982), Tommy Heinsohn (1972-1974, 1976) and Red Auerbach (1957-1967).

Mazzulla and the Celtics staff will be joined by Jayson Tatum, who was chosen as an All-Star starter alongside Giannis Antetokounmpo and Lebron James, who were named team captains. Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Donovan Mitchell, Stephen Curry, Luka Doncic, Nikola Jokic and Zion Williamson round out the rest of the starters. The Celtics bench boss won’t know who he is coaching until right before tip-off, when the two captains make their selections playground style.

All-Star reserves will be named Feb. 2, with Celtics wing Jaylen Brown serving as a front-runner to be named among the Eastern Conference candidates.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game Empty Re: Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game

Post by dboss Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:50 pm

I am happy for Joe and his staff.

I really do not like the format in putting the teams together that has taken place over the past few years.  

I really enjoyed seeing 2 and 3 Celtics playing together against the Western Conference.  The NBA has basically turned this game into glorified pickup game by letting 2 guys pick who they want on their teams.  I hate seeing any Celtic play alongside any Laker unless we are talking about the Olympics.

Next thing they will change the playoffs format to put 16 teams in one pool. That will be quite interesting when an East team ends up with a West team in an opening round matchup.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game Empty Re: Joe Mazzulla, Celtics Staff Chosen To Coach In NBA All-Star Game

Post by dbrown4 Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 am

dboss,

Your next to last sentence I have thought about for some time. And I believe you are right. Just like long-distance calls have gone by the wayside and yielded to the cell phone and no barriers to distance, so will the NBA East and West yield to one big conference. Us old timers don't have much of a comeback or a fight when the new guard says, "Well, we've done it that way for years, now we're going to do it this way." When the new guard has no concept of tradition/everybody gets a trophy, mixing things up is all they've got. It's like talking to a brick wall. Goodbye to the old. Hello to the new. Then we get tagged as the crazy old dudes in the corner rambling and going on about the past and the way things used to be! We've become our parents! I'm with you 1000%, dboss!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:22 pm

dboss wrote:I am happy for Joe and his staff.

I really do not like the format in putting the teams together that has taken place over the past few years.  

I really enjoyed seeing 2 and 3 Celtics playing together against the Western Conference.  The NBA has basically turned this game into glorified pickup game by letting 2 guys pick who they want on their teams.  I hate seeing any Celtic play alongside any Laker unless we are talking about the Olympics.

Next thing they will change the playoffs format to put 16 teams in one pool.  That will be quite interesting when an East team ends up with a West team in an opening round matchup.

Just don’t..please don’t go forward with the proposed in season tournament. This ain’t Soccer. Don’t do it!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:00 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:I am happy for Joe and his staff.

Next thing they will change the playoffs format to put 16 teams in one pool.  That will be quite interesting when an East team ends up with a West team in an opening round matchup.

Just don’t..please don’t go forward with the proposed in season tournament. This ain’t Soccer. Don’t do it!

ktron

That was another thing that the NBA is talking about. Just say no!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:21 pm

I forgot about that mid-season tournament bonehead idea! PUUUUULEASE!! Don't do that!!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down