The Stretch Run

3 posters

Go down

The Stretch Run Empty The Stretch Run

Post by dboss Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:42 pm

The ASG does not divide the season in half.  I see it as a point in the season where teams have made changes because  they are at the turn to head down the stretch run.

If the Celtics are going to win the East, they will have to do it on the road.  They have 13 road games remaining and 10 at home.

They return from the AS break with 3 on the road @ Pacers, Sixers and Knicks.

Then they play 3 at home vs. Cavs, Nets and Knicks.

The next game is back on the road @ Cavs, and a one game home stand with Portland.

Including the Cavs game, the Celtics will be on the road for 7 out of 8 games including 6 straight road games (ATL, Houston, MN, Portland, Utah and Sacramento) We should win 5 out of those 6 games.

I am most interested in the (2) games each vs Cavs and Knicks.

The Celtics are holding the Bucks off at an arm's length.  I want to see the Celtics win the East and also post the best record in the NBA.  For a complete look at the remaining schedule see below link:

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

Availability will be a key ingredient for maintaining their #1 position going into the playoffs.
It is hard to believe that the season has hit the 3 /4 turn.

Last edited by dboss on Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

The Stretch Run Empty Re: The Stretch Run

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:58 pm

It really has blown by for sure!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:24 am

dboss,

Good point about the Knicks and Cavs.  Especially the Cavs.  IMHBAO, the Knicks will always be the Knicks and if we play them in the playoffs, we'll sweep them.  My concern, like yours, is figuring out the Cavs.  Something doesn't add up there in that we haven't beaten them yet.  Even adding DM, they can't not have leap-frogged us.  While he's good, he's not that good.  

This comes down to coaching.  And as we get in the home stretch here and into the playoffs, the spotlight will shift more on our young, curt head coach and whether he's got what it takes to win it all this year.  The horses are in the barn and kicking down doors, but if you don't have someone at the top conducting meticulous business, Banner 18 will have to wait yet another year as the rest of the league has ramped up around us while we choose to trim around the hedges.  We're set.

I've annually pointed out the while it takes Boston a lot to get to the Finals historically, when we do get there, we win.  The Lakers are quite the opposite, making almost regular appearances, but only have about a 50% rate of success.  We both have 17 championships to our name.  More than one way to skin a cat.

I'm sure JT has gotten the message from last year's Final debacle.  Celtic fans are used to once we get to the Finals we bring it on home and close the deal, now 17-5.  He's come a long way and he and JB are the two horses we're riding in on.  We're going to be there this year.  I'm going with DEN on the other side, the most complete team.  Too many wannabes out West, one with all offense and zero defense (PHX) - out (please refer to the Sacramento Kings Franchise and playoff success with that MO), one with a bunch of young whippersnappers (MEM) - out, the load-managed Clippers who haven't played enough together to make a serious run - out and finally the Sad Sac(ramento) underappreciated Kings - out.  Mike Brown has done a great job out there this season and deserves a lot of credit, but they are no threat this season.

Celtics need to start off tonight with a win, prepare for Cavs like they are playoff games because in reality they are.  If we get swept by them during the regular season, not much is going to change in the playoffs.  That will be embarrassing. Those are must win, dominating win games.  

Winning the next one in MIL is a must as well.  Should have won the last one. Staying on top of the league with the best regular season league record, while secondary, is important but not mandatory.  We should maintain 1st by just continuing to win.  

Finally, injury time is over.  All hands on deck from here to the finish line.  Load management be damned.    

Bring it on!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:15 am

Hi,
I would start a heavy load management excluding games vs PHI, CLE, MIL, NYN and BKN.
I think that high probability of bringing healthy and rested starters + Brogdon and White into the playoffs is more important than the seeding.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:55 pm

db

The 2 OT losses to the Cavs was an early season surprise. I think that it is important for Boston to send a clear message to them because we may see them in the playoffs.

So far we have split with the Knicks after the recent OT loss.

Much of this game is mental. We play each team 2 more times. There will always be a team or two every year that can become a matchup problem but those teams are the ones that you have to send a message to.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:20 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I would start a heavy load management excluding games vs PHI, CLE, MIL, NYN and BKN.
I think that high probability of bringing healthy and rested starters + Brogdon and White into the playoffs is more important than the seeding.

AK

Sinus007

There will be some load management in play but that will include our B2B vs the Knicks and Cleveland on March 5th and 6th.

AH does not play B2B games and we still have 4 more sets of B2B games remaining.

Guys like JT 37.3 MPG and JB 35.6 MPG are likely to miss a game or two over the next 7 weeks.

I think that if we can add another wing it would open the door to play them less minutes in the regular season.  The Celtics have been on top of the NBA for most of the regular season.  I would hate to see them lose  their top seed to teams like the Bucks or Sixers.

How CJ navigates through this remaining stretch of games will be interesting.  

On paper it looks like we have plenty of depth even without adding another wing.

I expect the Celtics to remain the lead dog in this race and still find a way to reduce minutes for AH and the Jays.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down