+3
dbrown4
beat
dboss
7 posters

Go down

NBA Lockout Empty NBA Lockout

Post by dboss Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Enjoy this season because according to billy hunter there is a 99% chance there will be a lockout because the CBA expires and the two side are far apart on their differences.

http://blogs.bettor.com/Billy-Hunter-says-NBA-lockout-looming-a43316

I see a lot of games on NBA league pass and I see a lot of arenas that do not have enough fans in their seats. This would certainly lead many to think that the NBA is losing money therefore reducing salaries and other benefits is justified.

The facts however do not paint such a dim picture.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/65479

This is all about millionaires vs millionaires. Fans are caught in the middle of this rich squabble. Teams outbid one another for players and then complain about how much money they had to spend. The so-called salary cap and all the exceptions and conditions were put in place to prevent the rich elite teams from cornering the market on the best players. It was put into place to stimulate competition in the league. So-far it has sort of worked. There are a lot of competitive teams out there but the small market teams cannot compete in terms of retaining young stars or signing the best free agents.

Lots of empty seats out there because the fans have had enough. They have had enough of the high ticket prices, the high premium they have to pay to get a hotdog and a coke for thier kids, the high price they have to pay just to park their freakin car and the result too often is a report that Antoine Walker is broke or that Allen Iverson is broke. This after having earned $100+ million dollars. All of it coming from hard working fans...after tax dollars and one too many disappointments.

It is time to bring some sanity to all of pro sports. These players and the owners are to blame for this situation and I can only imagine a time in perhaps the not too distant future where pro sports will no longer exist because it is no longer possible for Joe fan to pay the price to watch and still keep a roof over his head.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

NBA Lockout Empty Re: NBA Lockout

Post by beat Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Dboss that is why I love the minor leagues!
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:37 am

dboss,

While you present great, unbreakable arguments with which for the most part I agree, I disagree with your conclusion.

Clearly, it is a rich man's game funded by middle/lower class fans for the most part. The people that can afford season tickets will pay for them because of their love of the game, family tradition, etc. regradless of price. The bulk of the gate support, I would think, comes from the occasional ticket buyer wanting to take his kids to see a pro game. I don't know how many season ticket packages are sold per 18,000 seat arena. But with 41 games plus playoffs, even at $50 times at least 2 people, that's a minimum of $4,000. I have to imagine that number is a very low percentage of the total. Any hard numbers on that? I'm just curious.

One other measure, I would guess, would be what percentage of the suites are filled per game.

Now granted if you are going to an NBA game, you know your wallet is open. The average fan can still get by pretty cheap if they want to. I assume we all have been to games. Yes you can spend hundreds (thousands) of dollars if you want. You can also spend a minimum amount if you want.

But for the man or woman that wants to take his kids to experience a game, money is not the issue for the most part. Not in the short run. They may take them to only one game that whole season.

Now does the fan have a choice? Absolutely. If prices get so high that Joe Fan has to think, "Can my money be better spent on my family somewhere else?", he can make another choice.

I just don't think the present situation with empty seats is because they are fed up with the NBA. They are the ones that created the situation to date. I think it comes down to the opportunity cost question. Where is my dollar best spent? They still love the game. And yes going to a game is a great experience. But the hard core fan that occasionally goes to a game (I would put myself in that category) isn't worried about the money (or the cost of a game) per se. What may be happening though is the NBA, along with all the LeBron/Miami bs, threat of a lockout, etc., the typical fan is saying, "Hey, there are some other option I want to look at before I go to an NBA game." That's what is dangerous for the NBA. For your typical fan, like myself, you don't want them thinking that at all. That's what will lead to empty seats.

I think the fans are to blame for the most part. The owners and players are just doing what smart business owners across the US do every day. Offer a great product. Find a willing buyer at the max possible price. The buyers of the product, ourselves, don't have to buy at the current price or the next price or at all. But we have clearly pushed it to its current level. Otherwise, there would be no NBA.

Are the owners offering a crappy product? I don't think so. Do they have some problems in the marketing, accounting and delivery of it? I think so.

In conclusion, we have a mess. Do I want a work stoppage? No. Contraction, yes. Down to 24 would work for me. Then you wouldn't have games like the Sacramento vs. LA Clipper crap that was on last night for Thanksgiving. As far as salary for the players, I don't care. They have already priced themselves way out of anything imaginable for me with just their regular salary. Since I helped create the current situation one little fan at a time and want more of the product, it looks like sour grapes to me if I complain.

I hope some sanity can be brought to this game. But the fan is going to have to take a hard look at themselves for this to happen, not so much the management and owners, although they will re-create themselves and present something even more amazing in the future.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:18 am

dbrown

I think the second article link suggests that while NBA revenues are down, they are not down by a lot (given the current state of the economy) That's because of TV revenues I think.

In that context it is difficult to accept the owners position that they want to cut $700-$800 million from payroll. The players are well paid and probably overpaid but they will not be willing to accept a pay cut unless revenues support a reduction.

But I cannot put the blame on the fan. The fan responds appropriately when for example the product on the court is sub par. That will certainly give rise to more empty seats. The fan does not own the team or negotiate the price of a ticket. Yes they can choose to support the team or not support the team. In this economy the price of admission may be too high for many fans.

There is a breaking point...

My primary concern is that if there is a lockout, an aging team like the Celtics could easily have their 2 year window abruptly shut at one year. This year. What happens if the Celtics do not have any games to play in the 2011-2012 season?

The fan has no control over this. We may be watching this product for the last year so enjoy the season.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:45 am

It may seem that a fan can get into a game for a relatively low price. However,
those tickets are few and far between. When trying to buy a ticket from ticketmaster for the Oklahoma game, I went to the same section that I have
bought several tickets for many games before. I have paid from $75.00 - 85.00
for these tickets. They were $157.50 for that game. And that was the back
row of the section. These are loge seats. Granted, balcony seats are cheaper, but they were double and a half for this game. To me, this is legalized scalping. I haven't paid this much for these seats even during the playoffs!

Why are we going to feel sorry for these teams and their overboard salaries? They created the monsters themselves, now they are trying
to pull back. The game is becoming harder and harder for a family to attend unless you know someone and get the tickets from them for a reasonable
price.

The thought of a lockout scares me. With it, is this year the final year we will see Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen???? Are they still under contract after the
lockout? Will they even want to come back? I agree, we should watch
this season and enjoy what we can. It may be the end of the beginning of
the new Boston Celtics team.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:22 pm

It would be ironic if, two years from now, the Celtics were forced to start fresh with only two holdovers—Rondo and Paul Pierce—who come as close as one could imagine to representing two "factions" that have had to reach an accommodation over time.

Would a season off, and an opportunity to enjoy the family, reenergize Doc for the NBA wars...or will it reinforce a resolve to go out to the family pasture more permanently? If there is a lockout, the continuing availability of Doc—along with the continuity of a Rondo-Pierce foundation—could play an important role in the future fortunes of the Celts.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Here is Bill Simmons thoughts when asked about a possible NBA lockout. I tend to agree with Bill on this subject.

Do you think there is a "99 percent chance" that there will be an NBA lockout? Do you really think the NBA will cut salaries 700-800m? When do you think the NBA will resume?

Bill Simmons

No way. I'd say 30/70. Stern is doing a lot of tough talk right now but I think it's posturing... the 2010 player's union is soooooo much smarter than the 1999 player's union was. and they know from experience that a lot of their members live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to miss three months of checks. And also: Stern wants no part of having a lockout be the final chapter of his legacy. I would bet on "no lockout" before "lockout." Much better chance for the NFL.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Hope Simmons take is right but I doubt it.
More articles on the lockout

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/There-is-definitely-going-to-be-an-NBA-lockout?urn=nba-288544

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/David-Stern-NBA-lockout-looms-after-2010-11-season

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_mannix/07/12/stern.las.vegas/index.html

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/02/10/veteran-players-believe-nba-lockout-more-likely-than-not/
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Haven't any of these professional teams watched the news lately. There are people out there out of work, struggling to make ends meet, losing their houses, yet these guys want more and more money. Not just the players, the teams! The NHL is still struggling to get back the fan base that they lost when
they went on strike.

Between the NBA and the NFL, the fans are going to be the biggest losers.
I have no pity on any of these teams. Get real!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:18 am

Unfortunately, all we hear about are the LeBron's and Carmelo's of the NBA world. Good point about the "little guys" in the NBA that make up most of the union, I would think. As hard as it may be to believe, you can go broke on $500,000 a year just as easy as $30,000.

If DFish is pushing for the little guys, he's going to have to bend a little. They'll find a solution. Stern is Stern.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:48 am

This is all theater at its best, between the owners, players and the league. Yes I separated them into 3 categories because they all have separate agenda's for one agenda....that is to make lot's of money.....forget the good of the game!

It's like 3 old business partners closing their store for the weekend and fighting with one another........I'm going to sue both of you....while the other 2 say...you'll hear from our attorney's on Monday....you'll never get away with this........we're through with all this................Oh by the way who's opening the store Monday morning!

Don't fall for the carnival act.........follow the money!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down