Joe Mazzulla Explicitly Issued Demand To Celtics Before Game 7

+4
BingBang!
NYCelt
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Joe Mazzulla Explicitly Issued Demand To Celtics Before Game 7 Empty Joe Mazzulla Explicitly Issued Demand To Celtics Before Game 7

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:55 pm

https://nesn.com/2023/05/joe-mazzulla-explicitly-issued-demand-to-celtics-before-game-7/

'You gotta have the most fun you can'

by Adam London

More than anything else, Joe Mazzulla wanted his Celtics players to enjoy the stage Monday night at TD Garden.

That was the first-year head coach’s pregame message to Boston in the locker room before Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals. Aside from the Celtics giving their all until the final buzzer sounded, Mazzulla issued one ask of his team before it competed for a trip to the NBA Finals.

“Last game it took 47 minutes and 59.9999 seconds, all right? Tonight, it might take 48, it may take 53, it may take 58. It doesn’t matter,” Mazzulla said, as captured by TNT cameras. “You bring it and you stay in it for however long you have to stay in it for. And you better (expletive) smile while you do it. You gotta have the most fun you can, all right? That’s the most important thing.”

Unfortunately for the Celtics, there wasn’t much to smile about in the series finale. The Miami Heat jumped out to an early lead and never let Boston come very close to threatening their advantage. Mere minutes into the fourth quarter, it felt like the Celtics had virtually no shot of completing a historic comeback.

Mazzulla will now shift his focus to his first offseason at the helm in Boston. The 34-year-old will be on that perch for the foreseeable future, too, as he reportedly won’t lose his job this summer.

Bob
MY NOTE: Apparently "have the most fun you can" wasn't the motivator or relaxant Joe thought it would be...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Joe Mazzulla Explicitly Issued Demand To Celtics Before Game 7 Empty Re: Joe Mazzulla Explicitly Issued Demand To Celtics Before Game 7

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:49 am

What should he have said? Serious question to anybody who wants to answer it. My second question is whether he could have said something so inspirational that that cow's ear would have turned into a silk purse? He's coming back. We'll see if that's a good or bad thing, but since it's been brought up, why not critique his Knute Rockne bona fides ?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Joe Mazzulla Explicitly Issued Demand To Celtics Before Game 7 Empty Re: Joe Mazzulla Explicitly Issued Demand To Celtics Before Game 7

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:18 am

jrleftfoot wrote: What should he have said? Serious question to anybody who wants to answer it. My second question is whether he could have said something so inspirational that that cow's ear would have turned into a silk purse? He's coming back. We'll see if that's a good or bad thing, but since it's been brought up, why not critique his Knute Rockne bona fides ?

Stop making sense. No one wants to hear a reasonable opinion.

But seriously… +1
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:32 am

I think it’s evident Joe didn’t push the right buttons to help (key word since that’s really the player’s responsibility) get the guys locked in for game 7. But by the same standard Ime failed for the last two big games of the championship series last year. Related (very related) what a contrast watching the Nuggets and Heat take care of the ball run their half court actions, sets, and plays and at least give themselves a chance to compete. This Celtic roster has repeat offenders over many years of herostupidnegligentlazy (it’s a compound German word, look it up) play that was absent from last night’s game. It ain’t the coach even if he’s (fill in the blank).
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:15 pm

BingBang! wrote:This Celtic roster has repeat offenders over many years of herostupidnegligentlazy (it’s a compound German word, look it up) play that was absent from last night’s game. It ain’t the coach even if he’s (fill in the blank).

Quote of the day.

Translation of the day (a first).

I tried looking it up since I don't speak German. Held dumm fahrlässig faul. Did I get it right?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:33 pm

NYCelt wrote:
BingBang! wrote:This Celtic roster has repeat offenders over many years of herostupidnegligentlazy (it’s a compound German word, look it up) play that was absent from last night’s game. It ain’t the coach even if he’s (fill in the blank).

Quote of the day.

I tried looking it up since I don't speak German. Held dumm fahrlässig faul. Did I get it right?
I defer to Berlin but I think your in the right ball park.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:50 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://nesn.com/2023/05/joe-mazzulla-explicitly-issued-demand-to-celtics-before-game-7/

'You gotta have the most fun you can'

by Adam London

More than anything else, Joe Mazzulla wanted his Celtics players to enjoy the stage Monday night at TD Garden.

That was the first-year head coach’s pregame message to Boston in the locker room before Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals. Aside from the Celtics giving their all until the final buzzer sounded, Mazzulla issued one ask of his team before it competed for a trip to the NBA Finals.

“Last game it took 47 minutes and 59.9999 seconds, all right? Tonight, it might take 48, it may take 53, it may take 58. It doesn’t matter,” Mazzulla said, as captured by TNT cameras. “You bring it and you stay in it for however long you have to stay in it for. And you better (expletive) smile while you do it. You gotta have the most fun you can, all right? That’s the most important thing.”

Unfortunately for the Celtics, there wasn’t much to smile about in the series finale. The Miami Heat jumped out to an early lead and never let Boston come very close to threatening their advantage. Mere minutes into the fourth quarter, it felt like the Celtics had virtually no shot of completing a historic comeback.

Mazzulla will now shift his focus to his first offseason at the helm in Boston. The 34-year-old will be on that perch for the foreseeable future, too, as he reportedly won’t lose his job this summer.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Apparently "have the most fun you can" wasn't the motivator or relaxant Joe thought it would be...

Ktron murders the hits!!

Cue Louie: “Oh when you're smilin’ and winning, the world smiles with you.

When you’re laughing and winning the sun comes shining through as the world laughs along with you.

But when you're crying and losing, you’ve become irrelevant as the world turns its back on you.

So stop your pouting, sighin’ and crying and get off your a$$ and find a way to win.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:54 pm

jrleftfoot wrote: What should he have said? Serious question to anybody who wants to answer it. My second question is whether he could have said something so inspirational that that cow's ear would have turned into a silk purse? He's coming back. We'll see if that's a good or bad thing, but since it's been brought up, why not critique his Knute Rockne bona fides ?

I don't believe for a second that anyone was looking for the cliche fiery speech a movie coach gives his plucky band of misfits to overcome the ultimate obstacle.

People wanted adjustments to address what hadn't been working. The problem isn't with what he said. The problem is there wasn't a viable strategy for his team to win. In light of that, the words come off as cheap.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:44 am

k_j_88 wrote:

I don't believe for a second that anyone was looking for the cliche fiery speech a movie coach gives his plucky band of misfits to overcome the ultimate obstacle.

People wanted adjustments to address what hadn't been working. The problem isn't with what he said. The problem is there wasn't a viable strategy for his team to win. In light of that, the words come off as cheap.

KJ

+1

Exactly let’s have fun, oh there’s a zone, well have fun with that….??? ATO’s let’s have fun with that too, we don’t need a time out, you guys know the game plan right? Al ya got anything you want to share?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:51 am

This team has a very recent history of collapsing in any tight game and can’t hold its own home court advantage, a terrible issue for a team with title aspirations. I know it’s also on the players, but don’t see anything from Mazz that he knows how to change the underachieving culture of this team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:53 am

For those that disagree, do you care to share what you see that I’m missing? Coaching matters at this level.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:58 am

Nobody is saying that Mazzulla shouldn't be criticized. My point was that it is impossible to change the course of a game with a pregame speech , and that the post appears to to be highlighting absolutely nothing of consequence, much as the frequent highlighting of criticisms of Mazzulla in Comments From The Other Side.(V is for Vendetta.) If a narrative is going to be pursued, at least stick to the substantive. Mazzulla is coming back. So, from what is being said by those who have a say in the matter, is Jaylen Brown. We'uns just gonna have to live with it. Please explain the great adjustments Ime made that helped us get over the hump against the Dubs last year. Oh , that's right' he didn't . He made sure to let the press know that it was the players, not him, that failed in the clutch, though. Fair enough. It STILL is up to the players to get the job done on the court.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:00 am

BingBang! wrote:I think it’s evident Joe didn’t push the right buttons to help (key word since that’s really the player’s responsibility) get the guys locked in for game 7. But by the same standard Ime failed for the last two big games of the championship series last year. Related (very related) what a contrast watching the Nuggets and Heat take care of the ball run their half court actions, sets, and plays and at least give themselves a chance to compete. This Celtic roster has repeat offenders over many years of herostupidnegligentlazy (it’s a compound German word, look it up) play that was absent from last night’s game. It ain’t the coach even if he’s (fill in the blank).
                       +1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:36 am

BingBang! wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Quote of the day.

I defer to Berlin but I think your in the right ball park.

I don't know the word, or if it exists, but if you made it up your're pretty close to what I would fantasy up: Heldenhaftdumm fahrlässige Faulheit. Or, as the Germans love to combine words together - Heldenhaftdummfahrlässigefaulheit. That might take the title as the löngest German word.
Also congrats on the Umlaut on the letter "a" i.e. ä. That's not so easy without a German keyboard.

Tip o' the hat to you sir,

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down