cowens/oldschool
prakash
NYCelt
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Smart to Grizzlies - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart to Grizzlies

Post by prakash Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:45 am

jrleftfoot wrote:It's probably academic, but could Celts pick up Moose or Gallo when they are released

No, they can’t. You can’t resign your own traded players possibly for 1 year.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:22 am

prakash wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:It's probably academic, but could Celts pick up Moose or Gallo when they are released

No, they can’t.  You can’t resign your own traded players possibly for 1 year.
                                 Thanks. Thought that was probably the case
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:30 am

This one really blew me away.

The Celtics likely had the second deal on the table as a backup plan.

Moving Smart is a shocker.  

Reasons why the Celtics made the trade.

Reconfiguration: They simply needed to add more talent in the front court

Money: Smart has 3 years remaining at around $60 million,  Brogdon had 2 years.  

Draft Assets:  They can target a big in the draft #25 as a hedge against losing Zinger or they can look to add a big next year with the GSW pick.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:31 am

Shocked to say the least.

Curses on the Los Angeles Clippers!!!

This declaration is valid until 21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, King of England.

Those losers cost us Smarty-Smart.  Now I have to get emotional every time we play them bums!

(Still, happy to get Zinger.  Hopefully he has put the injury issued behind him and we get a repeat of last season's numbers)

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:34 am

I read that this will happen.  Not sure about the $$$ (or that last sentence in the tweet) but the extension is part of the agreement.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:01 am

My guess is that this team got a little too comfortable in it’s own skin and accepted losing way too easy. A big shake up was the one way the owners and Brad could get their attention. Smart was the victim here, he was much too devoted a player to get traded in my honest opinion, but he was the easiest one to go. Let’s see what happens in the next few days, who they pick up, draft, trade before we pass total judgement on this. It is not a popular move and I bet it came with much angst. You do not trade a guy like Smart and go home and sleep well at night. What a shock I had late last night when I saw this before I. Shut the computer down for the night. I am sorry to see him go
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:08 am

He don't look too happy about it:

Add a caption (my entry):

Looking at you, Brad!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:22 am

dboss wrote:This one really blew me away.

The Celtics likely had the second deal on the table as a backup plan.

Moving Smart is a shocker.  

Reasons why the Celtics made the trade.

Reconfiguration: They simply needed to add more talent in the front court

Money: Smart has 3 years remaining at around $60 million,  Brogdon had 2 years.  

Draft Assets:  They can target a big in the draft #25 as a hedge against losing Zinger or they can look to add a big next year with the GSW pick.

My thinking is your three guesses will turn out to be right on target.

We’ve still got several point guards and a decent number of shooters. There should be shooters available as undrafted FAs post draft, but we move up enough to draft another big that can contribute off the bench.

Smart was my favorite Celtic. Sorry to see him go, but changes were needed so it’s understandable. From an emotional leadership as well as defensive standpoint, he will be greatly missed. Stay tuned for more.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:26 am

On draft day, we will be cheering for a guy wearing the wrong hat?!?

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:28 am

Shock and awe!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:41 am

This trade cannot be rated yet.

If Zinger can stay healthy this will be a win for Boston. However if he is just a one year rental and/or misses a lot of games then the trade may not  age well.  The quality of the 2 first rounders will also factor in.

The Celtics must have really wanted Zinger to trade Marcus.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:17 am

A friend told me about a Twitter thread (I don't do social media) the jist of which is:

The entire NBA: this is highway robbery, how did the Celtics get away with it??? Celtics fans: this is the worst day of my life

On paper, this is kind of a steal for us. A player who put up Allstar numbers at a position of need with a skill set that matches the organization 's vision plus two 1st picks for a very good, but not quite allstar at a position where we have two players who are about as good. Of course the usual concerns about chemistry (and in this case heart) apply, and evenore so here.

Side note - Smart could really help Memphis.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:22 am

dboss wrote:This trade cannot be rated yet.

If Zinger can stay healthy this will be a win for Boston. However if he is just a one year rental and/or misses a lot of games then the trade may not  age well.  The quality of the 2 first rounders will also factor in.

The Celtics must have really wanted Zinger to trade Marcus.

He is coming off his most productive and durable season of his career, only 27 he’s got to be at his peak years for this stretch. We needed this trade for awhile now as we know the limitations of our center tandem. All 3 guys can spell each other and keep each other fresh, the 2 main guys carrying us will still be the J’s. Porzingus game will make life easier for J’s and everyone. Pritch will get his shot, and no excuses, time to bury open looks kid. Wonder if we can still keep Brogdon?

Great job Brad, I see 3 Celtics in the all star game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:27 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:A friend told me about a Twitter thread (I don't do social media) the jist of which is:

The entire NBA: this is highway robbery, how did the Celtics get away with it??? Celtics fans: this is the worst day of my life

On paper, this is kind of a steal for us. A player who put up Allstar numbers at a position of need with a skill set that matches the organization 's vision plus two 1st picks for a very good, but not quite allstar at a position where we have two players who are about as good. Of course  the usual concerns about chemistry (and in this case heart) apply, and evenore so here.

Side note - Smart could really help Memphis.

+1

No doubt Smarts toughness and leadership is exactly what young Memphis needed, he is so going to help that team. Him Ja and Bane is a great backcourt. They still have Jackson and Adams, that team is loaded.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:39 am

Thanks Marcus for all the Tommy points. I'll miss you.

I agree with many posters here that something had to be done. They couldn't just ride it out for another season.
On paper this seems like a very good deal. I hope it also looks that way on the court next season.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:47 am

This is the 2nd Grindmaster the Grizzlies have gotten from us.  Tony Allen did quite well for them and I predict Marcus Smart will as well.

I am heart sick at this trade.  There is no other Celtic player that is the living embodiment of what it means to be a Celtic than Marcus Smart.  The Celtics just traded their longest serving assistant player coach.

This goes back to Brad not being aggressive getting bigs.  He stocked up on guards, because he and Joe love small-ball, but our bigs were the weak spot on our roster and that forced Brad's hand here.

I wonder when this began.  It seems like it happened suddenly, on the last day it could happen.  Because this happened at Zinger's deadline Brad had to find another partner when the Clippers dropped out and the only ready one was Memphis, who wanted Smart and not Brogdon.  As with most big things that happen they don't happen all at once, it's usually an accumulation of small failure points to the final collapse.

I am, quite frankly, still shocked.

Can we now afford to move Brogdon, now that we've lost our primary floor general?  Who would run the offense?  Derrick is good but he's more of a combo guard and Payton isn't a smooth floor general.  

So much for "running it back".   Crying or Very sad

On paper this looks like a win for the Celtics.  We got a player that is a borderline All-Star and who fills a glaring need of ours now and, if he resigns, for the long-term.  Smart was a player in a crowded back court, we could afford to lose one of them, he's not a great shooter, blah, blah, blah.  He was our living beating heart.  Who's going to be that now?  Who is going to provide that intangible?  That's the downside of today's metrics-driven NBA.  It's not all about the numbers.  

Well, it's all over now except for passing physicals and my silent sobbing.  Welcome to Boston, Unicorn.  Earn it.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:18 am

Well this just confirms my suspicions all along.   Brad Stevens are Joe and lock step in playing the new 3 point craze plaguing the NBA with these goof ball analytic jerks who say SHOOT MORE 3 AND YOU WILL WIN!

Red must be turning over in his grave!  So now you traded the only hard nose guy Smart who can play lockdown defense for another 3 point shooter who is soft on defense. I guess they fell Al Horford is about done and cannot shoot the 3 ball anymore.

SO NOT ONLY DO WE LOSE A DEFENSIVE PLAYER LIKE SMART, BUT THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAD A HEART AND A SET OF BA!!S!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:39 am

112288 wrote:Well this just confirms my suspicions all along.   Brad Stevens are Joe and lock step in playing the new 3 point craze plaguing the NBA with these goof ball analytic jerks who say SHOOT MORE 3 AND YOU WILL WIN!

Red must be turning over in his grave!  So now you traded the only hard nose guy Smart who can play lockdown defense for another 3 point shooter who is soft on defense. I guess they fell Al Horford is about done and cannot shoot the 3 ball anymore.

SO NOT ONLY DO WE LOSE A DEFENSIVE PLAYER LIKE SMART, BUT THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAD A HEART AND A SET OF BA!!S!

I agree with virtually all your points about Smart and Brad, but in the interest of fairness I want to point something out about Porzingis' defense.

His Offensive Rating last year was 121 and his Defensive Rating was 113, for a Net Rating of +8.  +8 is pretty decent.  Marcus Smart's OffRtg was 111 and his DefRtg was 112.  So Smart was actually a -1.  What stands out to me is that Porzingis' Defensive Rating (the number of points the team gave up when he was on the floor per 100 possessions) is that he had a 113 DefRtg on a team that gave up 114.4ppg last year.  The Wiz were 17th in ppg allowed.  That means that the Wizards were a better defensive team when he was on the floor than when he wasn't.  Is it really his fault his teammates were half-hearted defenders?  Smart, on the other hand, was on one of the top defenses in the league and his DefRtg was only 1ppg better than.  The Celtics were 5th in ppg allowed @ 111.4.  So Smart's DefRtg of 111 is only fractionally better than the team overall.  Hell, it might even be the same, the 111 vs 111.4 difference might just be a rounding error.

There's no doubt in my mind one of Brad's top priorities now might be to find us a new junkyard dog, but let's not slight Zinger's defensive abilities.  Considering he was playing on a team with no real elite defender, a team with Bradley Beal (an elite scorer but not an elite defender) and Kyle Kuzma (in my best Alfred E. Neumann imitation:  "What?  Me Defend?") what can you expect of Zinger?  Defense, much more than offense, is a team thing.  

And one more thing:

Zinger's 121 OffRtg is MUCH better than his team's 113.2ppg scoring, "good" for 21st.  Smart's 111 OffRtg is much less than our team's 117.9ppg.  That's why Zinger's NetRtg is so much better than Smart's.  Histeam's defense /100 possessions was almost as good as Smart's when he was on the floor and his team's offense was MUCH better than his team's offense when he wasn't on the floor and Smart cannot say the same.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:47 am

For those who understand this stuff:

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:49 am

For those who understand this stuff:

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:59 am

What I am hearing is Brogden injury is so servere that the LA Clippers nixed the deal.  The Celtics were on the clock because Porzingis had up to 12 midnight to trigger his player option for another year to get the trade done or he would have been a free agent.

So now we may be stuck with Brogden and his 2 year contract at $22+ and he may not even play this year!

Speaking about injuries, Porzingis has not played a full season for 6 years!

Smart may have been saved for another deal this summer.  I think Smart was going anyway to ease the atmosphere with Brown.  Smart was always in Browns and Tatums face.  

So Brad.................who is your floor leader now, your alpha player who can keep everyone focused and giving an honest effort??????????????????/

Last edited by 112288 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:00 am

Porzingus is gonna play better than he ever has, playing winning basketball both ends, with so much more talent around him.

Love this trade!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:26 am

Saying that Zinger hasn't played a full season for 6 years ignores the fact that Marcus has had issues with being available as well.

Take last season. Z played 65 games, Smart played 61. Their MPG were similar, 32.6 vs. 32.1

I get the emotions, when I first read about the trade, it felt like a slap to face.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:33 am

Oh…Wow (again).

KJ and I went back and forth over Marcus Smart last Thursday right before Fathers Day and at that time I was torn. Still am. But I gotta admit, (wait for it around 4 minute mark) KJ had his hand on the pulse.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:09 pm

Moving up in this year’s draft and getting a first round pick plus the zinger is a decent haul, but I will miss Smart a lot.

He gave his all every play. Truly a great Celtic.wish him all the best.

Our D definitely takes a hit.it will be interesting to see how they use the zinger. Who starts now? Rob may start and bring zinger off the bench along with Horford. It is imperative Brogdon stays healthy now. That is my primary concern.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next