So, according to this article, we just signed the league's 22nd best player to a max deal.

+5
cowens/oldschool
worcester
gyso
jrleftfoot
steve3344
9 posters

Go down

So, according to this article, we just signed the league's 22nd best player to a max deal. Empty So, according to this article, we just signed the league's 22nd best player to a max deal.

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:44 pm

Overlooking the fact that he made second team All-NBA.

After I pulled out my calculator, that means he's top 10.

https://nbarankings.theringer.com/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

So, according to this article, we just signed the league's 22nd best player to a max deal. Empty Re: So, according to this article, we just signed the league's 22nd best player to a max deal.

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:21 am

Even if that were true, there are 30 teams in the NBA, so#22 would almost assuredly be the best player on several teams.Then consider that he is way younger than Curry, Lebron, Durant , Kahwi, Butler, Lillard and Harden. Finally, at this stage of his and their careers, he is, at least, better than Butler Harden Sabonis and Adebayo, saner than Morant, and less injury prone than several of the guys listed ahead of him .File this article in tye round file.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

So, according to this article, we just signed the league's 22nd best player to a max deal. Empty Re: So, according to this article, we just signed the league's 22nd best player to a max deal.

Post by gyso Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:25 am

jrleftfoot,

Every team should have at least one max player, and it could be argued that the league is trying to make it so every team should have two.

A fair compromise is 1.5 per team, or 45 players. We got #6 and #22.

And that is without having a discussion about lesser players being listed above Jaylen, age of some of those players towards the end of Jaylen's new contract, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:39 am

Eight years ago Mike Conley became the NBA's highest paid player with a $153M 5 year contract.
So stop talking about Jaylen getting too much. Please.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:41 am

Harden, Kawhi, Butler, Mitchell really?

Would any GM take any of them at this stage of their career over Jaylen? I doubt it. Mitchell had one outstanding game and mostly couldn’t outplay Brunson as his team got bounced in the first round.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:09 am

This type of ranking is always subjective, of course.

That being said, I don’t think the author is far off in most of his rankings. You might suspect he’s a Celtic fan based on the number and high placement of so many Celtic players.

If the question is should Brown be higher on the list given his new record contract, I say no. Is he the top player in the league? No. His contract is more a reflection of his value to the Celtics rather than his overall standing in the league. He’s an outstanding player and worthy of All-Star status. Somewhere in the top couple dozen seems fair.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:39 am

Since availability is a key factor in a player's worth and defense matters, I take exception to these rankings. Here's the list I would put below Jaylen:
Harden
Bam
Ja
Donovan
Dame
Shai
Jimmy B
Kawhi

At the worst I would put Jaylen in the top 14.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:58 am

I agree with Ny.These rankings are very subjective.
However, Worcester my brother- I agree with your emphasis on availability but sans that factor-

I don’t think our beloved JB is ahead of:

Dame
Shai
Jimmy B
Kawhi

IMHBAO…..

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:05 am

Yes Ktron I agree. But those others are not on the court enough except for Shai who I would take hands down over Dame.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:06 am

NYCelt wrote:This type of ranking is always subjective, of course.

That being said, I don’t think the author is far off in most of his rankings. You might suspect he’s a Celtic fan based on the number and high placement of so many Celtic players.

If the question is should Brown be higher on the list given his new record contract, I say no. Is he the top player in the league? No. His contract is more a reflection of his value to the Celtics rather than his overall standing in the league. He’s an outstanding player and worthy of All-Star status. Somewhere in the top couple dozen seems fair.

If you look at his numbers and where his team ranked, he did effect winning and he did carry us, he’s worthy of all NBA.

A lot of these other players ranked ahead of him played in alot less games with much weaker teams.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:25 am

worcester wrote:Yes Ktron I agree. But those others are not on the court enough except for Shai who I would take hands down over Dame.

Correct, as I indicated, my list doesn’t factor in availability and you did emphasize that.

I’m applying blind faith here that its not a players fault IF he’s indeed injured and I don't think it should be used to gauge how great of a player he is.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:24 pm

Ktron wrote:
worcester wrote:Yes Ktron I agree. But those others are not on the court enough except for Shai who I would take hands down over Dame.

Correct, as I indicated, my list doesn’t factor in availability and you did emphasize that.

I’m applying blind faith here that its not a players fault IF he’s indeed injured and I don't think it should  be used to gauge how great of a player he is.

But it can be used to gauge how valuable a player is to a team.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:29 pm

The criteria for qualifying to get a supermax deal made it possible for JB to get one.

It is really hard to get there.  

The rankings article is irrelevant with respect to qualifying for a supermax contract.  Writers and sports people can create their own lists but those lists do not carry weight.

The only criteria that matters is set forth in the CBA.  Now some fans want to deviate from the rules based on their own subjective criteria, perceptions and preferences.

The Boston Celtics made an initial investment in Jaylen 7 years ago and have rewarded him for a job well done on and off the court.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:44 pm

dboss wrote:The criteria for qualifying to get a supermax deal made it possible for JB to get one.

It is really hard to get there.  

The rankings article is irrelevant with respect to qualifying for a supermax contract.  Writers and sports people can create their own lists but those lists do not carry weight.

The only criteria that matters is set forth in the CBA.  Now some fans want to deviate from the rules based on their own subjective criteria, perceptions and preferences.

The Boston Celtics made an initial investment in Jaylen 7 years ago and have rewarded him for a job well done on and off the court.

^^ This ^^

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:33 pm

gyso wrote:jrleftfoot,

Every team should have at least one max player, and it could be argued that the league is trying to make it so every team should have two.

A fair compromise is 1.5 per team, or 45 players.  We got #6 and #22.  

And that is without having a discussion about lesser players being listed above Jaylen, age of some of those players towards the end of Jaylen's new contract, etc.
                                                         +1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:16 pm

Could Isaiah Thomas count as .5 for us?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:02 pm

The (DPVE ) Designated Player Veteran  Extension/Bird was used on JB.

The NBA allows up to two per team.

JT will get the other one.

These deals make it possible for teams to retain their own players. Using this designation on home grown talent is terrific.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:41 am

dboss wrote:The (DPVE ) Designated Player Veteran  Extension/Bird was used on JB.

These deals make it possible for teams to retain their own players. Using this designation on home grown talent is terrific.

Dboss

Agree. However, I think the NBA should go even further. I think a team not only should have advantages in keeping their home grown talent, but they should also receive some tax relief relating to these players. I don't think its fair that (in the celtics case) that JT and JB entire salary should count against the tax aprons. (Same for Klay, Curry and Draymond in the Warriors case). If these teams were savvy enough to draft goof players that have become an integral part of their team, they should receive certain tax advantages over teams that just pay free agents.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:03 am

Let me make one thing clear.
I don’t care to “pay” much attention to who’s making what or who’s worth what and who is not. I.Don’t.Care.
I just love the game and want to watch the best players and the best teams compete.
The$ topic hardly if ever came up when I was coming up and knee high to a grasshopper.
I just watched and enjoyed every minute of it, win or tie.
So money and losing never entered into my dome then and it doesnt now.

(In my Stephen Ass Smith voice) Howwweverrr. (End of Stephen Ass Smith voice)
I’m making this one exception because this recent clip from  
Boston homey Ryen Russillo makes all the Cent$ in the world.

BTW… Ryen is friggin’ awesome. Love this dude!
Check it out…

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:26 pm

Celtics17 wrote:
dboss wrote:The (DPVE ) Designated Player Veteran  Extension/Bird was used on JB.

Dboss

Agree. However, I think the NBA should go even further. I think a team not only should have advantages in keeping their home grown talent, but they should also receive some tax relief relating to these players. I don't think its fair that (in the celtics case) that JT and JB entire salary should count against the tax aprons. (Same for Klay, Curry and Draymond in the Warriors case). If these teams were savvy enough to draft goof players that have become an integral part of their team, they should receive certain tax advantages over teams that just pay free agents.

Celtics17

The NBA wants to create as much parity as possible.  If big market teams are rewarded for spending money it could lessen competition.

The difficulty in having a top heavy payroll mostly impacts those  middle class salaries for players that you want to retain.  Teams have to decide on keeping the Grant Williamses of the world or trading them for assets or letting them walk.  

Smart teams will figure out how to navigate the new CBA.  We know that the salary cap and aprons are likely to rise each year so there are built in progressive elements in place to help teams spend more money on players.  

I would not mind seeing the Luxury tax thresholds increase more or see a reduction in the tax rates (less punitive)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down