+3
gyso
sinus007
dboss
7 posters

Go down

Make The trade for JRUE HOLIDAY Empty Make The trade for JRUE HOLIDAY

Post by dboss Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:06 pm

As much as most of us liked the KP addition, the loss of tough guy and team leader Marcus Smart, left a void that has no definitive replacement.

I would make the trade for Jrue Holiday because he is a bigtime 2-way player that brings the same level of physicality to the defense and he is a 3 level scorer, solid distributor and has championship level experience.

Nothing comes cheap but this opportunity would enhance the Celtics chances of winning the NBA Championship this season.  

I would  move MB and AH along with other unnamed players to make the numbers work.  The Blazers are in full rebuild mode and would probably want at least a first rounder and Brad go sweeten the deal by parting with one of his 2nd rounders.  The Celtics have the assets to make this trade.

The Celtics tried to move MB so I truly believe that they will try to do that again.  AH is a veteran guy on a 2 year deal.  He is 37 and i do not expect him to play in B2B games.  Last year he missed 14 games as a result of managing his playing time.  

The Celtics could easily play a single big lineup and do well.  A started unit of White, Holiday in the backcourt along with the Jays and Porzingas would be the most feared lineup in the NBA.  If any competitive team in the East lands Holiday, it would be make them a top contender.   Just think if the Heat get their claws around him.

The depth on the team would take a hit but you could still piece together a competitive 8 man rotation.

Make the move now Brad.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Make The trade for JRUE HOLIDAY Empty Re: Make The trade for JRUE HOLIDAY

Post by sinus007 Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:14 pm

Hi,
I don't think Celtics have "funds" to trade for Holiday. Realistically.
To include AH is a very risky option considering high probability that he'll become the only big (sorry Luke, you're not on that level) if RWIII and KP get injured.
Unless, of course, it's a 3-team deal and we get JH and a decent big.
All in all, I wouldn't trade for Holiday.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:57 pm

Portland is rebuilding and wants young prospects and picks. They don't want old guys or broken-down guys.

The last time Horford played for a team that was rebuilding he was sent home.

They could ask for White, Rob and Pritchard and picks, but that's a no-go.

I see no realistic path for a trade between Boston and Portland.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:58 pm

Do not like including Al in any trade.  We have already given up one glue guy, losing Al will upset the chemistry of this team totally.  Just against it, I know others feel differently Actually I would see Portland wanting White, Williams and Pritchard. They do not want old guys just a move that I cannot see ever happening
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:44 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/28/nba-boston-celtics-jrue-likes-cs/

Report: Jrue Holiday lists Boston Celtics among preferred trade

Justin Quinn

If the Boston Celtics are serious about a potential trade for former Milwaukee Bucks point guard Jrue Holiday, they will be happy to hear that the interest is reportedly mutual.

Holiday is, for now, a member of the Portland Trail Blazers as a result of the three-team deal that sent ex-Blazers floor general Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks.

Buy Celtics Tickets
Per the Miami Herald’s Anthony Chiang and Barry Jackson, “the (Miami) Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls and Philadelphia 76ers are destinations that appeal to Holiday.”

That is key to any deal for the former Milwaukee guard given Holiday, 33, has a player option worth $37.4 million for the 2024-25 season. That means he can become a free agent next summer.

The Celtics, who have an interest in trading for Holiday per multiple reports, would have to get creative or brave to make a competitive offer that would be allowed under the league’s collective bargaining agreement given the roughly $36 million in salary Holiday is owed this season.

But it also does not rule Boston out of such a trade even if the reality of a trade for the Los Angeles native to the Celtics remains slim.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Jrue can want whatever he likes it's not up to him.  There's a report that Dame wanted to rescind his trade request, possibly when he heard he was going to Milwaukee and not Miami, and the Blazers front office said "Screw you.  You wanted out?  You're out" and went with deal they wanted.  I can't blame them.  While Jrue hasn't created a mess for them like Dame did I still fully expect them to go for whatever deal they like best regardless of the player's preferences.  Ironically,  Portland was in rebuilt mode whether they admitted it or not.  Dame's trade request helped them by making him look like the bad guy and not them.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:17 pm

I wrote that story last night, part of this was them just not liking what Miami was going to give, Riley thinking he had the upper hand because Dame said he would only go there. I read that Miami claims that after a July call, they never talked to Portland again. I am sure the league is not happy with these "lists" players are giving teas of where they want to go. What will happen to the league if this is allowed to continue? I know Holiday is a talented guy but I firmly believe Portland will have no interest in Brogden, it is White they would want and I am not in favor of that. Of course, no one has asked me how I feel!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:31 pm

I believe Holiday could be acquired for some combination including Brogdon, Pritchard, Walsh and a pick or two. Making the deal work without including White, Horford or RWIII would be difficult, but a player dump including Hauser, Kornet, and a sign and trade for Griffin could get it closer. Keeping Brogdon and dealing White might lock the deal in, but turns the risk way up. Then we would have to worry about Brogdon’s elbow, and Tatum’s non-shooting wrist is already a concern among Mazzula’s planned point guard rotation (we can’t forget Joe is planning to use Tatum at PG).

Horford and RWIII would be off the table for a number of reasons.

It would be an expensive proposition, leaving the backcourt a little thinner. It would also be an all in, win now move.

I’d personally be OK with it, but the downside risk is there. My concern is we have three bigs with limited time on the clock. I include Porzingis due to his injury history. I think we have a season, two max, to get a banner before a major rebuild around the two Js has to happen. Contracts and the new CBA play into my thinking as well as the fragile condition of a number of current Celtics. Therefore, an all in move for a proven 33 year old tough guy is OK by me.

No risk, no reward.

Last edited by NYCelt on Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:18 pm

$34,954,667 for Jrue
$22,500,000 for Brogdon

$12,454.667 Difference.

That is the target number for additional salary beyond Brogdon's to make up the difference.

Brogdon, for starters, then who? Pritchard ($4M) and filler doesn't come close.

Here's Boston's salaries:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

It's all about math.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:31 pm

Gyso,

See my edits above.

If that’s the case I guess the only way home is White is in and the PG rotation is Brogdon, Holliday and Tatum.

Big, big risk.

I’d be OK if they did it but we would still be one injury from disaster, and there are already questions about Brogdon’s elbow, and Tatum’s wrist as well as his use at PG. Holliday’s best use may not be as a main ballhandler, but neither is Tatum’s and we are already going there.

I’m still good taking the risk because I think the current roster is lacking what it needs to get the conference title and my feeling that the roster is reaching it’s expiration date in health and age within key spots.

This roster worries me just enough that I’m ready for a little more ‘ready, shoot, aim.’
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:01 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 5 hours ago
The Celtics’ pursuit of Jrue Holiday remains alive, I’m told. But there’s still a significant gap.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:09 pm

The only core piece I would include in a trade for Holiday is Brogdon. I would part with PP also. Then I don't see why we can't use the TPE we got in the Grant sign and trade and some picks and another player. I'm not an expert on the salary cap, but can't we use that $6.2M TPE? I would not trade Al, with Smart gone he's the heart of the team, and I certainly wouldn't include Rob or D White.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down