Go down

Jrue Holiday Empty Jrue Holiday

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:15 pm

We just got him….!!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Jrue Holiday Empty Re: Jrue Holiday

Post by bobc33 Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:17 pm

Holiday was traded to the Celtics by the Trail Blazers on Sunday in exchange for Malcolm Brogdon, Robert Williams, a 2024 first-round pick and a 2029 unprotected first-round pick, Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reports.

As expected, Holiday, who was traded to Portland by Milwaukee in exchange for Damian Lillard on Wednesday, has been shipped to a contender. In Boston, Holiday finds himself essentially replacing Marcus Smart, who was flipped for Kristaps Porzingis this offseason. The Celtics have been busy this offseason, revamping the assets around Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, and their rotation appears clustered at the moment. Derrick White, Al Horford, Holiday, Brown, Tatum and Porzingis would all be everyday starters on other teams, but one will have to settle for a sixth-man role to start 2023-24. Either way, those six players figure to be on the court as much as possible, though Tatum and Brown figure to dominate the playmaking opportunities. Holiday still has a high fantasy floor due to his defensive skills, but his offensive production may take a hit with the move.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:22 pm

I hate giving up Rob. I think we overpaid.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:32 pm

I’m happy to see this move.

In another thread I said I thought RWIII would be off the table and that I would be willing to include White but keep Brogdon. I had it backwards; this deal makes more sense.

We’re thin in a couple of spots, especially bigs, but the window for this team, except for Tatum and Brown is extremely limited. One maybe two seasons at most, in my opinion.

Tatum, Brown, Porzingis, Holliday, White and Horford. They stay healthy we’re possibly in elite company.

It’s a gamble, but I believe a necessary one if we’re to compete.

I admire Brad’s gutsy play.

We’ll see how this works out soon enough.

Now… Go Bills, Orioles and Nittany Lions!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:46 pm

I hate giving up Rob, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and that's only going to get worse as he gets older.

If these guys can stay healthy, that's a really strong core.

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:56 pm

Give Brad credit, he has guts. Hate to see Rob go but I saw this coming, every trade had him involved Brogden going to give Boston a mouthful this week! unless he asked quietly to be traded This has to be one of the biggest offseasons since KG, Allen, Posey, House
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:58 pm

Celtics acquire Jrue Holiday from Trail Blazers, give up Robert Williams, Malcolm Brogdon and 1st round picks

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-acquire-jrue-holiday-from-trail-blazers-give-up-robert-williams-malcolm-brogdon-and-1st-round-picks-161106131.html

Chris Cwik
Sun, Oct 1, 2023, 12:11 PM EDT·2 min read

The Boston Celtics saw the Milwaukee Bucks get Damian Lillard in a trade, and decided they would get involved in that transaction. Boston reportedly traded Robert Williams, Malcolm Brogdon, a 2024 first-round pick and an unprotected 2029 first-round pick to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Jrue Holiday, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

Holiday, 33, averaged 19.3 points and 7.4 assists in 67 games with the Bucks last season. He was involved in the trade that sent Lillard to Milwaukee on Wednesday. Holiday spent just a few days with his new team before being shipped out.

Holiday is a two-time All-Star and has been named to the NBA All-Defensive team five times. He will help shore up an already-strong Celtics defense that allowed 111.4 points per game last season, one of the lowest figures in the league.

Portland continues to rebuild after Damian Lillard trade
The move helps Portland gather assets for the future. Both Williams and Brogdon are good players who can help Portland right now, if the team keeps them around. But the big prize is the 2024 first-round draft pick.

Portland traded away its initial 2024 first-round pick in a 2021 deal with the Chicago Bulls and Cleveland Cavaliers. The Bulls currently hold that pick, though it's protected for selections 1-14 in the 2024 NBA Draft. Given the way the Trail Blazers have operated this offseason, the team has a good chance of getting that pick back. In the event that doesn't happen, Sunday's trade with the Celtics guarantees Portland will have at least one first-round pick in 2024. The team can use that pick — or picks — to acquire more talent to put around Scoot Henderson and Kris Murray, who the team selected in the first round of the 2022 NBA Draft.

Williams, 25, should provide a strong presence on defense. Injuries limited Williams to 35 games last season, but the center made his first All-Defensive appearance during the 2021-22 NFL season. Over his career, Williams has averaged 7.3 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:02 pm

They did their research, I’m sure they researched this extensively, analyzing everything from players strengths and weaknesses and teams chemistry and fit and needs. Wyc, Brad even Danny, yes like they don’t speak. Bob Heckler, Steve, Worse, bobc33 and I speak hoops, you think these guys don’t. I’m sure Danny still speaks to Bird and McHale.

Anyway Holiday is better than Smart both ends IMO. It’s still a perimeter league, I actually think they see something in Queta that can be developed to do some Rob type things and we can still now add a Nerlens Noel type too.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:05 pm

It already has shown up on Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

Jrue Holiday Spotra11

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:13 pm

I now see us going small White Holiday Jaylen Jayson Zinger

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:14 pm

Who is Jimmy Butler going to blame for this??? Sorry, his crybaby statement after the trade with Milwaukee made me laugh. Brad is all in, period. I think we need another big now, so watch for another move down the line. This morning I read a story that Brad said the door was always open for Blake, is he an answer? Too old?? But better than what might be available. I wish I could get something on the Boston channel, they are all into football, and selling some supleents. Think this is worth of a break in news story ????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:19 pm

Everyone is concerned with Zingers health, he’s way more durable that RWill; let that sink in, and I love Rob.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:36 pm

Watched an interview with RW this AM.  I am sorry to see him get traded.  I think that Brad may go out and find another rotation big.  If the KP trade improved our depth at center, the RW trade did the opposite.

The Celtics had to make this move.

Brad Stevens is proving to be even more decisive than Danny Ainge.

Think about this.   The Celtics have upgraded their center and their PG position going into a new season.  The draft picks  were nothing to worry about. One i believe was a GSW pick and the other is in 2029.  

Now a new round of questions present themselves.  This move tells me that the Celtics under CJ prefer a single big lineup.   If that is the case the PG rotation puts PP on the spot as both White and Holiday will likely start.  AH may become a rotation center.  

The Holiday addition counters the Bucks move.  I have always like Jrue.  His addition takes the sting out of losing Marcus Smart.

This trade is a 'we are all in' decision by Brad.  It is a gamble and brings risk to the table but the prospects are exhilarating.

This looks like a checkmate to me.  It would be like your x-wife marrying your best friend. arch enemy. OUCH!

Last edited by dboss on Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:50 pm

This hurts, you hate to see such a well liked player go, but? We ended up accepting the Marcus trade, so it will be okay if all stay healthy and we get off to a good start,, I have felt for years that Rob was not going to finish his career here, alot like Perk, although Perk's trade was a shocker. There have been too many rumblings about Rob this year to not expect a possibility that he would get traded. I guess time will tell, bring on Tuesday!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:56 pm

We get to add Jrue and the Heat got . . .

Nothing. Again.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:00 pm

gyso wrote:We get to add Jrue and the Heat got . . .

Nothing.  Again.

Great!!! Love it

Riley is too slow, the game is literally passing him by…..

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:03 pm

I wish Rob the best and I hope he has a fantastic year out in Portland.

I look for Brad to sure up our 5 spot by adding a rotation guy. One more move and we should be all set.

We got more J's on this team than imaginable.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:15 pm

The moves being made are the basketball version of an arms race.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:57 pm

Now that I’ve had time to absorbed things, I feel a little better about the trade. I still hate giving up Rob. I’m well aware of his injury problems, but he finally seemed to be healthy. I wish Rob the best. I hope he has a great year.

The main problem now is our front court. Al is what 36? He can’t play more than 25 minutes a game now. Brad has to do something to shore up the front court. I’m sure we will play more small ball, but matching up with the bucks front court will be tough.

On the other hand, excited to have Holiday. He’s a winner and replaces the d we lost by trading Smart. He will also run the offense efficiently. It’s going to be fun!!!
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:57 pm

Now that I’ve had time to absorbed things, I feel a little better about the trade. I still hate giving up Rob. I’m well aware of his injury problems, but he finally seemed to be healthy. I wish Rob the best. I hope he has a great year.

The main problem now is our front court. Al is what 36? He can’t play more than 25 minutes a game now. Brad has to do something to shore up the front court. I’m sure we will play more small ball, but matching up with the bucks front court will be tough.

On the other hand, excited to have Holiday. He’s a winner and replaces the d we lost by trading Smart. He will also run the offense efficiently. It’s going to be fun!!!
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:58 pm

I wonder, did they run this by the two J's????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:19 pm

I’m pretty sure they had a plan for a another backup 5 or a 4/5 before they pulled the trigger on this one.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:28 pm

pete wrote:I’m pretty sure they had a plan for a another backup 5 or a 4/5 before they pulled the trigger on this one.

Pete

+1

Exactly

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:56 pm

They signed Gabriel Weyen to a training contract.  He may stick
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down