+2
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
6 posters

Go down

Grant Williams Empty Grant Williams

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:53 pm

Traded former Boston Celtics big's start with new team not exactly encouraging
A traded former Boston Celtics big man's start with his new team in 2023-24 has not exactly been encouraging, says one analyst.

By Andrew Hughes | Dec 13, 2023
Nov 19, 2023; Dallas, Texas, USA; (from left) Dallas Mavericks forward Derrick Jones Jr. (55) and
Nov 19, 2023; Dallas, Texas, USA; (from left) Dallas Mavericks forward Derrick Jones Jr. (55) and / Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
facebook
twitter
reddit

Chowder and Champions' Devon Platana believes signed-and-traded former Boston Celtics big man Grant Williams' start with the Dallas Mavericks in 2023-24 has "not exactly been encouraging" for the franchise's long-term hopes of getting good value on his $53 million contract.
"Many basketball fans thought the big man would take a huge step forward playing alongside Luka Doncic, but that hasn't been the case," Platana prefaced before saying, "Despite being a full-time starter for the first time, Williams is only averaging 9.8 points and shooting 42.2% from the floor (including a career-worst 46.3% from two-point range) while playing 28.8 minutes per outing. And even though you can make the point that Williams has never been an offense-first player, it isn't like his defensive play has been all that impressive this year. He went from averaging a defensive rating of 111 per 100 possessions across four seasons with the Celtics to a putrid 119 this campaign.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Grant Williams Empty Re: Grant Williams

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:49 am

Grants defense fit in well when he had players like the J’s, Timelord, Big Al, Smart, D White to play with. That’s a lot of defensive talent, why we were no 1 in defense in 22. Now he’s playing/defending with Kyrie and Luka….big difference and it’s not like he’s a shot blocker or glass eater/great rebounder either.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:13 pm

Glad we let him go and used that salary more wisely.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:08 am

Great point, cowens/oldschool. Those two wouldn't know what defense was if it walked up and slapped them across the face with a 2 x 4. Hard to convince anybody there that defense works. Hence my prediction DAL will bow out in the first round if they hold on.

You want lots of points? Go to Dallas. Even PHI & MIL. But no solely high powered offense ever ran away with a title that I can recall. Think Mr. Everest oxygen bottles.

Most of the time for money reasons and salary caps, there is always a trade-off between offense and defense. All the Celtic haters are going to have to start realizing we've got the mix just about right and no one else is close. And there are still 48 games left to tighten things up. And we can keep coming harder even after this year.

Grant's a great, highly intelligent player for his size and what he accomplishes. Not sure he's a starter but he was great coming off the bench here. I wish him well.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:35 am

I was on the "sign him" bus because his skill set off the bench would be hard to replace. I never saw him as a starter on a contending team.

If we had signed him, the salary cap consequences would have been that we would not be the team that we are right now. I am happy with our team right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:05 am

I sat and thought after the game the other night, this team is so scary good. If they can just keep their heads in the game there should be no "blow outs" like last year. Losing to Orlando, Houston, even letting Detroit give them a run, it was embarrassing for them at times. I believe they are tired of being laughed at as the team that blows leads, comes out cold and lets teams get up by 20 before they have to work so hard that by the 4 quarter, they have nothing left. Bad habits die hard, but some of theirs are finally going away. Jrue Holiday is a winner, period. He will do whatever it takes to win, and KP is just so happy to be on a team with so much talent that the pressure is finally off him, these are such solid points about this team. I love Jaylen and Jayson, but Derrick White has proved just how important he is to this team and how good he is I love watching him, cheering for him and enjoying every minute he is on the court. Do they have faults? Yes but, the other night they showed what they could do without 3 centers to be on the floor at all. So there is so much to look forward to Here's hoping for the sweep today, but it is Sunday afternoon, and we all know how much this team hates afternoon games especially on a Sunday!!! A homer, darn right I am
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:09 pm

My respect for Brad grows daily as I see the team he has assembled around the J's. I've complained about losing Grant (at the same time as Marcus) thinking we'd be weak, but the bench looks better every outing. Queda has potencial. If Joe plays 10-deep so everyone buys in, sky's the limit. hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down