Pre-Game(s) Mini Road Set vs. SAS & OKC

5 posters

Go down

Pre-Game(s) Mini Road Set vs. SAS & OKC Empty Pre-Game(s) Mini Road Set vs. SAS & OKC

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:24 am

Decided to combine these two since it is a mini-road set.  Well, we've had ourselves quite a lot of interesting games over the last 6 or 7.  Obviously should have beaten GSW but came back strong vs. SAC, LAC & LAL.  Then almost blew it twice vs. DET and TOR, setting them up for last night's streak-ending showdown in DET.  But we have gone 5-1 over the stretch and are 9-1 over the last 10 games and 12-2(?) for the month.  

Lots of lineup shuffles with more than our fair share of B2B's.  I'm still not convinced the close finishes after having big leads is self-induced.  But we are finding ways to win and you can't put a price on that.  If it involves a little stint here where the leads are erased to figure some things out, than so be it.  We will need that mental toughness edge in the playoffs.  No better place to learn that the "hard" (since we didn't have to lose to learn the lesson) way now than to pull another MIA late in the playoffs and have dug the grave too deep.  

Well, I'm hoping tonight is another (has he played in SAS since being traded?  He has to have) Pop/DW reunion tour where Derrick shows Pop just what a horrific mistake he made in trading him away.  Pop won't care though.  He's happy Derrick has realized his potential and then some.  

Checking the tape, Jrue is questionable (tonight) Sunday with a right elbow strain.  BOS(-13.5) but we know how that worked out a few days ago vs. DET and BOS(-18.5).  Don't believe the hype is what is pounding in my mind and blaring in my ears until I see evidence to the contrary.  KP/Al vs. Wemby should be interesting.  Let's see if KP/Al can get him in foul trouble early and all out of sorts.

We can't afford to pull a TOR and look ahead to Tuesday vs. OKC Clash O' The Titans.  Hopefully we learned our lesson @ GSW and will roll tonight.  But again, I need evidence to the contrary given the most recent two-game home stand.  Tonight might not be as forgiving as this is on the road again. (Thanks, Willie)  

Well, I look at the standings, look at our record, do some quick math and in less than 3 weeks, we're halfway through the season!!  Where does the time go?!!  That's crazy. Just rolling along.  

One game at a time.  SAS is up.  No GSW repeats allowed!!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Pre-Game(s) Mini Road Set vs. SAS & OKC Empty Re: Pre-Game(s) Mini Road Set vs. SAS & OKC

Post by dboss Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:16 pm

The Celtics should dispatch the Spurs tonight.  The OKC game will be a lot more difficult.  Once again, a look back reveals a game at OKC last year on 1/3/2023.    It was probably our most embarrassing loss.  OKC beat the Celtics down 150-117.  So here we are getting ready to play them on 1/2/2024 on the road.  

OKC is for real.  Checking the standing out West puts them at #2 behind the T'Wolves.  OKC is 21-9 with a solid 12-5 home record.   They also have the top point differential in the West at 8.3 PPG and 3rd overall in the league.

The Celtics will need to approach that game as one where the participants are elite.

I think the wemby game is more hype than substance.  However the Celtics will do well to stay in the moment by taking care of business tonight.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Pre-Game(s) Mini Road Set vs. SAS & OKC Empty Re: Pre-Game(s) Mini Road Set vs. SAS & OKC

Post by bobc33 Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:28 pm

We get to see both Victor and Chet, two players we will hear a ton of the next decade at least!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:30 pm

That OKC team is scary good. After all those draft picks, moves they made, and improvement by their starters, they scare the heck out of me. They can really score! The Celtics will be wise to take it one game at a time, beat SAS tonight, and move on with a full team and hope to win out there in Oklahoma too. I expect at some point there is going to be a let down but Hope I am wrong. This sure has been a great first quarter of the season but we have a long way to go
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:53 pm

Looking forward to the Spurs game tonight. Wemby and Holmgren back-to-back! That will be interesting.

NBA appears to be making another transition, to REALLY tall men. Glad that we have KP for now. I expect rules tinkering to allow these bigs to flourish.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:20 pm

the Celtics schedule gets really crazy, all over the place home for a game or two back out on the road. these are the times when the cream will rise to the top I hope
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:19 am

Rosalie,

You can check off the box for taking care of business last night and dispensing of SAS! All set for Part II to head into OKC!

Wow! Just noticed no national coverage of our game tomorrow. Oh well. Just another LP game. Someone's going to regret that.

This team is handling EVERYTHING that is being thrown at them. That's what the regular season is for. Building character for the playoffs!

db

B.S. Quitcherbitchin' Lebron about your missed last seconds opportunity against the Timberwolves.
Come on, Man. You know the rules. Yes, when your motion to shoot started, your toe was behind the line. But as you continued your motion into the shot, your toe rose in and covered the 3-point line BEFORE you released it. That's a two pointer. Try not putting yourself in these situations in the first place and you won't continue to lose on our farewell tour and look so much like an ass all the time. I'm just sayin'!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:27 pm

The Celtics tip off at OKC at 8 PM EST.

The Celtics took care of business at SA and now they face an up and coming team with a legit All NBA talent and MVP worthy consideration, in Alexander and an impressive 2nd year rookie in Chet Holmgren.

Their lineup is interesting.  Chet is a long athletics player listed as their PF but for all practical purposes he is their starting center.  He's 7' 1" and has displayed advanced skills in shot blocking, ball handling and scoring from outside and inside.  He is a 3 level scorer including from the charity stripe.  Everything about his profile looks good except for his buck 95 weight.  He missed all of his rookie year with a foot injury.  Once again, these long lean centers seem to have issues with their feet.  I'm just saying.

Shai starts at the point and Josh Giddy is their starting 2 guard.  They actually play a 3 guard lineup with Dort being their other starting guard.  Their other starter is Jalen Williams F.  Careful not to get confused because they have another Williams name Jaylin.

Bench guys include Isaiah Joe SG, Cason Wallace G, Aaron Wiggins SG and Jaylin Williams F.

This team is loaded with guards but only Giddy and Alexander have size.  They are basically a small ball team.

The Matchups

It looks like the Celtics will have a full roster tonight.

The key to beating this team begins and end with limiting Alexander.  I think we could start D White on him and let Jure bang with Giddy.  KP on Holmgren with JB on the physical, Dort 6' 4")  JT can check Jalen Williams (6' 5")  Or you could match size by putting JB on Giddy and Jrue on Dort (A classic fire hydrant matchup)

It looks to me that we have more matchup advantages than they do.  Our bench will need to play well.  We need to win the battle on the glass and limit our TOVs.  OKC is a very good transition team (ranked 6th in FB points)  The only other big they have is Aleksej Pokusevski1 but he has only played in 7 games all year

They are several dominant matchups for the Celtics to take advantage of.  Our Center depth should be a factor.   They have no one to check our  Jays.

I expect the Celtics to go into this game with a healthy respect for the Thunder and a strong determination to let them know who the big dog is.

On a side note  their impressive GM Sam Presti (Concord Ma) and their underrated coach Mark Daigneault (Leominster, Ma)  are both well thought of in the celtics organization.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:36 pm

Confirmed, dboss.  Both teams at full strength per ESPN Injury List.  BOS (-4.5).  Tight enough, but respectful.  As you point out, on paper, it should be a good one!  This team is good at staying focused, going one game at a time.  They know this game is a progress marker given they handed us our asses on a platter the last time.  Completely different team we have now.    

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:24 pm

Forgot to add in that IND gave us some breathing room by upending "No D" Milwaukee last night. Hopefully this gift won't change their attitudes going into tonight's game and let off the gas.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down