Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get?

+8
steve3344
worcester
beat
mrkleen09
sinus007
Sam
NYCelt
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get? Empty Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get?

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Well Celtic Fans & Sam's Members....Does Walker make sense to get on the cheap?

I think so..........Here is why?

1) The guy has averaged for his career 7.7 rebounds per game and 17.5 pts a game. When used properly as a Celtic the guy was above 8.5 rebounds per game and over 20 pts per game.

2) He has size....6'9''

3) Plays forward position.

Let's face it, he would give us size and shooting ability at the forward position and would be a true backup to Pierce at that position.

A point was made on TNT last night that the Celtics are thin in several positions. I disagree in several but I do agree we are thin at small forward (Pierce) if he gets hurt. Pierce brings big time scoring/rebounding at that position as a collective package. While we do have Daniels filling in at that position, he does not have outside scoring, only inside and is only 6'6'', smaller then Pierce for rebounding purposes. West brings an outside shot but he is more of a shooting guard/point guard and is too small to truly play small forward at 6'5".

I say let Walker get his legs and get him asap if possible for the playoff run.

Back to top Go down

Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get? Empty Re: Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get?

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm

It's an idea, but given that we started Semih Erden at center last night, and even he's hurt, should we look more to bolster the 5-spot?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get? Empty Re: Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get?

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm

yes, but remember we have Perk coming back and JON.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Please, no. These Celtics are all about teamwork and chemistry. Walker is all about drawing attention to himself and dysfunction. Please, if you've ever trusted any of my basketball instincts, no, no, no.

Quis, with a healthy thumb, is light years better suited to this current Celtics team than Mister Ancient Bombs Away Shimmy No lift No Defense.

Oh my god, the thought of Walker polluting this team and even potentially causing Pierce to regress just made all the fillings in my teeth drop out.

Walker is the poster boy for the extended period of years when this team got away from Celtics basketball for the first and only time.

If I think about it any more, I'm actually likely to utter some negatives. Believe me, I haven't scratched the surface about that guy. I wish him well in his comeback efforts; but, for Pete's sake, I'm hoping to see the Celtics win at least one more championship before I croak. Yuck p'tooey, pass the Tums please.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi,
A few questions.
1. Is he ready for NBA?
2. Is he better, at this point, than LH?
3. How reliable is he?
4. Who's gonna be released - LH or VW?
5. Will he gel with the current team?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Lets call Dino Radja and Alaa Abdelnaby while we are at it Evil or Very Mad
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Well then, who is our backup outside gun with length for rebounding if Pierce gets hurt who can also slide in to be an extra in the 4 position?

You know we'll need one........Rudy Fernandez...I'm not impressed!

We got Shaq and KG that can shut up and shut down Walker if he gets out of line......remember he is looking at his last shot to be in the NBA....I'm sure it has been a humbling experience for him......something he would not throw away again. Shaq changed his tune.....why can't Walker!

PS You keep Luke get rid of VW who is duplicated by West and his scoring touch from the outside when he returns!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:16 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Lets call Dino Radja and Alaa Abdelnaby while we are at it Evil or Very Mad

Now there's a name I'd forgotten all about...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

If I had a vote it would be NO.
Heck he is just trying in the D league right now.
Haven't seen any results there yet.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:28 pm

112288 wrote:Well then, who is our backup outside gun with length for rebounding if Pierce gets hurt who can also slide in to be an extra in the 4 position?

You know we'll need one........Rudy Fernandez...I'm not impressed!

We got Shaq and KG that can shut up and shut down Walker if he gets out of line......remember he is looking at his last shot to be in the NBA....I'm sure it has been a humbling experience for him......something he would not throw away again. Shaq changed his tune.....why can't Walker!

PS You keep Luke get rid of VW who is duplicated by West and his scoring touch from the outside when he returns!

An outside gun? To replace Paul Pierce?

When Walker was 25 - he couldnt play the 3, you cant seriously think he could play that position now.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:21 pm

When a player is injured, replacing him is not always accomplished by a direct replacement with identical skills. The SYSTEM is what replaces him. Some teammates may assume additional duties. Doc takes advantage of temporary matchups to sneak someone like Ray or West in at SF occasionally. Maybe they even try Davis there for a few minutes at a time.

The system is adapted to take advantage of whatever abilities direct replacements have. In Daniels' case, very innovatively going to the hoop would be a major one.

It's not as though the Celtics would be bereft of outside shooters if Pierce were to go down. Deep on the perimenter, we have KG and Glen Davis. From beyond the arc, we have Ray, Nate, Wafer, and (when he returns) West. That's six guys, or half the rotation.

Paul Pierce grabs 4.6 rebounds per 36 minutes of play. Marquis Daniels grabs 3.8 rebounds per 36 minutes of play. I can live with 0.8 fewer rebounds per game, which could potentially be grabbed by another Celtic anyway.

Bringing Antoine Walker to this team would have all the earmarks of a skin graft that doesn't take. I find the thankfully remote possibility abhorrent.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Agree with Sam re 'Toine, and the whole topic makes me, hardly ever an actual basketball player, puzzle over one point. Big men don't usually shoot well from outside the arc, whereas little men generally do better. Big men are stronger than little men and thus should be able to heave a ball greater distances more easily. Yet when it comes to putting a basketball in the air at a distance accurately, strength appears to be unimportant. Fine motor skills and hand eye coordination seem to matter most. So how come in baseball the bigger pitchers do better? Whitey Ford is the only pitcher in the Hall of Fame under 6 feet.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:22 pm

worcester wrote:Agree with Sam re 'Toine, and the whole topic makes me, hardly ever an actual basketball player, puzzle over one point. Big men don't usually shoot well from outside the arc, whereas little men generally do better. Big men are stronger than little men and thus should be able to heave a ball greater distances more easily. Yet when it comes to putting a basketball in the air at a distance accurately, strength appears to be unimportant. Fine motor skills and hand eye coordination seem to matter most. So how come in baseball the bigger pitchers do better? Whitey Ford is the only pitcher in the Hall of Fame under 6 feet.

Not exactly true:

Pud Galvin - won 365 games, HOF, 5'8"
Kid Nichols - won 361 games, HOF. 5'10"
Tim Keefe - won 342 games, HOF, 5'10"
John Clarkson - won 328 games, HOF, 5'10"
Eddie Plank - won 311 games, HOF, 5'11"
Hoss Radburn - won 309 games, HOF, 5'9"
Mickey Welch - won 307 games, HOF, 5'8"
Burleigh Grimes - won 270 games, HOF, 5'10"
Joe McGinnity - won 242 games, HOF, 5'11"
Modecai Brown - won 239 games, HOF, 5'10"
Clark Griffith -won 237 games, HOF, 5'6"
Jack Chesbro - won 198 games, HOF, 5'9"

But I'm sure you were talking about the modern (after 1920) era. Burleigh Grimes pitched into the 1930's so he's the exception to that list. The others were before.

In this era though, Pedro Martinez, at 5'11" will be the second. And on the first ballot too.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Quite edifying. Whitey was a patient of mine in 2001 and told me he was the only HOF pitcher under 6 feet. I'll have to contact him with the correction. He was really a great guy and very funny. The HBO movie "61" was coming out that year, and I asked Whitey who would be playing his part.

"Brad Pitt, of course," was his answer. He was like that, a very funny guy, upbeat and a pleasure to be around.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:07 am

Guy's these are all good points however for a cheap look, even if it was for a 10 day look period, why not.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:21 am

Why?

What has he done in D league?

His very old past was OK, his old past was so so, his recent past doesn't exsist. Are the difibs paddles at each end of the floor, or perhaps at 1/2 court too?

Just can't see a reason for it. I'd sige a dozen Lasme's first if the need arises.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 am

After 2 games in the D league here are his numbers

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/antoine_walker/index.html
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 pm

beat wrote:After 2 games in the D league here are his numbers

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/antoine_walker/index.html

Shooting 20% on three-pointers. That's our 'Toine.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Everyone, get off the bash wagon. The guy was a great player and in the Finals was the key player in the final game to give Miami its title. Look it up my friends. It's 2 games back from a long layoff...give me a break and stop the narrow minded attitudes.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:53 pm

'Toine has a lot to prove, if for no other reason that he's been out of the game for 2 years.

He's had 2 games in D-league. That's not enough time to knock a pulled hamstring's worth of dust off, much less 2 years of rust.

We have a good team, we're not dying out there. We can afford to wait and let 'Toine show he's back or not.

Having said that, in the interest of fair and open disclosure, I have never been an Antoine Walker fan and am still not. Maybe that's why I'm willing to wait and see (and wait, and wait and...).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Sorry . I don't consider it narrowe minded, PLUS I said nothing about his 2 games in D only posted a link to them.
But 20% from three says a lot too.

beat

Last edited by beat on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:55 pm

112288 wrote:Everyone, get off the bash wagon. The guy was a great player and in the Finals was the key player in the final game to give Miami its title. Look it up my friends. It's 2 games back from a long layoff...give me a break and stop the narrow minded attitudes.

And too add.

Here you go calling us narrow minded for refering to a couple of RECENT D league games YET refer to a couple games that he played with Miami 4+ years ago as being a bench mark for signing him now? Heck he wasnt that good even then, I even bothered to look at his playoff stats the championship year 403% from the field, 32% from 3 and 57 % from the line. Scored 13.3 PPG of course if you shoot enough some will go in. Only 5.6 RPG too.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I really see no benefit in having him at all. He's over 2 years removed from playing a part time role and that year he shot 36% from the field 32% from 3 and 53% from the line.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:26 pm

beat

Didn't know his stats were that bad his last year,no wonder there were no takers after last time he got waived.That being said I think he could do everything that Scal can still do.I don't think Toine would have the ability to do less than he knows,can you turn a gunner into a role player that just moves the ball and hustles?

Most basketball execs would rather give another Gary Forbes type a shot than Toine.Toine has to show a big pulse in the D League.....I don't see it succeeding for him.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Cow

I searched BDC to finds a song I wrote to the tune of nowhere man about Toine

He's a real nowhere man.
shooting out in three point land,
taking as many as he can,
for nobody

Likes almost every shot he sees,
especially if its a three
Cept now he's shooting them in D,
for nobody

Antoine man
please listen
don't you know
that your missin
Antoine maaaan
no one is gonna.
give you a hand.

So he's content out there in D
shooting for the Idaho Stamped
Somewhere out there in three point land
for nobody

(changed a few words to reflect the times)

beat

wish I could find my original

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Here an interview with him

http://www.nba.com/dleague/video/2010/12/10/20101210_walker_intw.nba/index.html

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next