jeb
mrkleen09
tjmakz
sinus007
MDCelticsFan
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position Empty Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 am

IN DO NOT CONCUR WITH MC HALE!!!!!!!! BUT HERE IS HIS STATEMENT.

By Gary Washburn Globe Staff

Former Celtics great and NBA TV analyst Kevin McHale weighed in on whether the depleted Celtics need to make a roster move to add bench depth.

Boston entered Monday night's loss to Charlotte Bobcats with injuries to swingman Marquis Daniels, centers Shaquille O'Neal, Jermaine O'Neal and Semih Erden and reserve guard Delonte West. With the returns of Jermaine O'Neal and Daniels uncertain, there has been speculation about the Celtics adding another player.

McHale said he believes the Celtics have enough depth.

"I'm a big Marquis Daniels fan, I like him, it was tough injury and scary seeing that whole thing but I think the Celtics what they have going for them is a ton of depth," he said. "All of a sudden Delonte West is going to come back and I really like West's game. He plays with other great players so well. With the Celtics as they lose one guy they gain another guy. And I don't think they have to make a big trade."

The Hall of Fame power forward does have one suggestion for Celtics coach Doc Rivers.

"You can't take one game last night (too seriously). Everybody has a tough night in the NBA. It's 82 games and some nights you just don't have it. But I like they way they're poised," he said. "I think now Doc Rivers, who is a tremendous coach, I think now maybe getting into the All-Star Break, maybe starting to change the minutes around a little bit, give his horses a little bit more rest, allow the bench to develop a little bit more."

Back to top Go down

Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position Empty Re: Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:00 am

McHale fails to realize that Doc is running out of cards to play. The deck is dwindling down and needs to be replenished. The bench is thin and in need of more quality support. Jermaine's & Marquis's uncertain future muddy the waters. James Posey and Rasheed Wallace would be welcome remedies at this time.

MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position Empty Re: Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:11 am

MD,

I agree with you on those two players. It is a quick fit.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 am

Hi,
Actually, he is not against a trade, just a big trade.
Of course all this is open to interpretation.
My guess is that a lot in any possible Celtics trade will depend on 'Melo deal. I think that some of the GMs, DA including, wait for it to go through.
IMHO, Celtics don't need anything drastic - just a PP's backup for 12-15 min. Maybe even less than that considering that they can use VW a bit.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 am

2011 James Posey is not the 2008 Posey that you remember. His shooting has seriously regressed.
He is also under contract for $6.925m next year. As a luxury tax payer, Boston doesn't want to pay him $6.925m plus $6.925m to the league in luxury tax for a 10 minute/game player.
There are better options at SF then Posey.
Indiana would give him away if they could find a taker.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 am

Completely agree with Kevin McHale

Too much Chicken Little out here. The sky IS NOT falling, Celtics will be fine.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

Mrkleen,

Look at the situation currently:
3 bodies at center - KP, SON, SE ------JON is a big question.
3 bodies at shooting guard - NR, RA, VW
2 bodies at point guard - RR, DW & NR a swingman back to point guard
1 bodies at small forward - PP--------MD is a big and I say big question

Doc can talk all he wants about VW filling in......but fill in does not = full time during the rest of the season and in playoff's. It's not his position which he now must learn, he gives up height @6'5'' for rebounding.

To gamble the season and $$$$$$to the organization that was built to win now
would be crazy if they are just going with the hope that MD will be fine. He 's open to getting injured easier now. I've seen it with hockey players coming back too soon.

To roll the dice....no way!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:46 am

112288 wrote:Mrkleen,

Doc can talk all he wants about VW filling in......but fill in does not = full time during the rest of the season and in playoff's. It's not his position which he now must learn, he gives up height @6'5'' for rebounding.

would be crazy if they are just going with the hope that MD will be fine. He 's open to getting injured easier now. I've seen it with hockey players coming back too soon.

Again, you guys are all going crazy out here...losing your minds about all these nightmare scenarios. In the meantime, DA and Doc are the ones that actually know what is going on and know what they need and do not need.

Von Wafer is capable of playing the 3 against all but the most physical small forwards....and at 6'5" - his athletic ability is far superior to Quis - so rebounding will not be an issue at all. When the C's face a big 3, they will have to throw Luke or even Baby at them and see what happens.

We dont even know the final outcome with Daniels yet.....some of you guys have the hole dug for him already. He very well may come back in early March and be just fine down the stretch.

If the team hits the middle of March and they are struggling and there is no Quis in sight, I am sure DA will make a move. But to suggest anything is eminent is just ridiculous at this point. CALM DOWN
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 am

I hope your right!

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 am

i'm with kleen, dont come around here much these days cause the negativity has run amok.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
112288 wrote:Mrkleen,

Again, you guys are all going crazy out here...losing your minds about all these nightmare scenarios. In the meantime, DA and Doc are the ones that actually know what is going on and know what they need and do not need.

Von Wafer is capable of playing the 3 against all but the most physical small forwards....and at 6'5" - his athletic ability is far superior to Quis - so rebounding will not be an issue at all. When the C's face a big 3, they will have to throw Luke or even Baby at them and see what happens. We dont even know the final outcome with Daniels yet.....some of you guys have the hole dug for him already. He very well may come back in early March and be just fine down the stretch.

If the team hits the middle of March and they are struggling and there is no Quis in sight, I am sure DA will make a move. But to suggest anything is eminent is just ridiculous at this point. CALM DOWN

Throwing Luke or even Baby, neither of whom are 3s nor play 3, at a big 3 proves the point about our thinness at that position.

The NBA trade deadline is 2/24 @ 3 p.m ET. That's only 15 days away. "Making a move" in mid-March won't happen.

Playoff rosters must be set by 4/15 @ 3 p.m. ET. If Quis is not in sight or isn't inspiring confidence due to lingering issues from his spinal injury by then, then we will have a roster with a less capable player that could have been replaced with a capable one. If one of Von Wafer's advantages is that he has a few months of Doc under his belt, then why isn't getting a replacement 3 with a few months to go before the playoff roster is set an advantage? If they aren't working out, and Quis is coming back, then at least we have options.

The kicker still is that our roster is maxed, and we'd have to give up at least one player to get one.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 am

jeb wrote:i'm with kleen, dont come around here much these days cause the negativity has run amok.

jeb,

We're not negative, we're just concerned that we just lost our depth at our thinnest position with Miami hot on our heels. Maybe everything will be jake, just like MrKleen says. Maybe it won't. That's what makes for discussions and horseraces.

Don't make me come get you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 am

Mrkleen,
DA won't be able to do anything in the middle of March - the deadline is Feb 24.
Also, I don't think Doc is a gambling type. Therefore he'll be pushing DA (maybe he already is pushing) to get somebody as a MD's replacement. And I think DA doesn't need much pushing if any at all.
I'm not saying that the sky is falling but... This current team was assembled for one purpose - #18. MD is important part of that machine but he can be replaced. The opportunity, unfortunately, presented itself. Fortunately, there's still time. I think DA will make a move.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 am

I'm basically with Kleen on this rather than with the "Chicken Little" scenario.

I don't see the situation at the 5 as dire. As Sam and I (and probably others) have said elsewhere, it's center by committee -- Perk, Shaq, Erden, and Davis. That'll do.

At the 3, there's obviously issues, especially if Daniels is out for the season, but that is an unknown. Even if he is out, I don't think it's likely the C's can get a decent backup without giving away something of value (and by value, I mean someone like Davis, which would be trading one set of issues for another). The likeliest scenario is going with the current roster. Doc said as much the other day when he said that they'd like to get a backup 3 but will be fine with what they have.

It's not ideal, but they'll be okay. They're big boys, and they'll make it work. You don't go from a powerhouse that can crush all opponents on the way to a title to a fragile, desperate mess by losing one of five center options and one bench player.

Last edited by Outside on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 am

bobheckler wrote:...we're just concerned that we just lost our depth at our thinnest position with Miami hot on our heels.
This is probably a significant factor in why folks are worried, but it shouldn't be. It's not a big deal. Let Miami have the top seed in the East. Cleveland had it the past two years, and it didn't get them anything. LeBron's got a nice collection of regular season awards going, and he can add to it. Let the poor, old, depleted Celtics limp into the playoffs below the radar while the big, bad Heat stroll in like preordained champions, until ...

bobheckler wrote:Don't make me come get you.
Jeb, this is what you should be worried about. Is that BobH, armed with ancient Nepali attitude adjustment techniques, standing outside my window?? Nooooooooo!!
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 am

sinus007 wrote:Mrkleen,
DA won't be able to do anything in the middle of March - the deadline is Feb 24.
Also, I don't think Doc is a gambling type. Therefore he'll be pushing DA (maybe he already is pushing) to get somebody as a MD's replacement. And I think DA doesn't need much pushing if any at all.
I'm not saying that the sky is falling but... This current team was assembled for one purpose - #18. MD is important part of that machine but he can be replaced. The opportunity, unfortunately, presented itself. Fortunately, there's still time. I think DA will make a move.

AK

Not completely correct:

Are rosters set once the deadline has passed?

No. Players can still be waived and signed after the deadline. And a player is eligible for a team's playoff roster as long as he wasn't on another team's roster on March 1st or later.

For example, there are reports that the Nets may waive one or more of their veterans with expiring contracts (Tony Battie, Bobby Simmons) if they don't trade them before the deadline. Those players then would be able to sign with any other team. A contender might want to add Battie for frontline depth.

It is also possible that a player who is traded before the deadline could return to the team that traded him before the playoffs. If he has an expiring contract and isn't useful to the team that acquires him in the trade, they may choose to waive him. Once he clears waivers, he becomes a free agent and can sign with any other team. But he just can't sign with the team that traded him for 30 days (from the trade date) and such an arrangement can't be discussed before a trade is made.

Note, this article was from 2010 - but nothing has changed

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/john_schuhmann/02/10/deadline.faq/index.html
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 pm

IMHO a straight up trade Nate for Carmelo would be our best move...and we could throw in a photocopy of Antoine Walker's old contract to make the numbers work.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks, I stand corrected.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

worcester wrote:IMHO a straight up trade Nate for Carmelo would be our best move...and we could throw in a photocopy of Antoine Walker's old contract to make the numbers work.

That was a good one!
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I can't believe how seriously off course most of you guys are. Do any of you really understand this game and how you build a team to compete?

Right now my 1st-grader is at the local Y playing basketball and I think even he gets it better than all of you...

Well I guess I have to be the one here to to tell you all how it should go.

Thankfully one of us sees it right!

I think I'm the only one looking at this and I'm calling the whole bunch of you out for missing it...

Am I dealing with anyone who knows this game?

We need to do something and we need to do it now.

Fortunately the two players we could most use are both available and I would have no problem letting a couple of our guys go to get them. And I'm not talking just trimming Wafer and J O'Neal, I'm talking much bigger. I'd let Ray or Perk go to have these two.

What's more I can't see why Ainge hasn't pulled the trigger on this one. We should probably run Danny boy out of town for being asleep at the wheel. I mean how can he consistently miss something like this? TWO available players, not just one!

And right after him I would send Doc packing for not insisting this signing get done. The point guard in this deal is constantly referring to Doc and Doc doesn't even think of him? You've got to be kidding me!

And Doc is an all-star coach; how can that be when he doesn't know enough to pressure his GM to do this deal?

If Miami clears room to go after these two you can kiss the season good-bye right now; it's over! These two would probably put Orlando over the top...

...or even Chicago.

Shallow basketball gene pool among you all not to want to pursue these two...really!

Thankfully I'm not afraid to point out what Danny, Doc and all of you can't see; shame on the whole lot of you.

And you call yourselves fans.

The players are pictured below.

Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position B_jord10
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:34 pm

NY.........YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU........Your Good!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 pm

HOW ABOUT Wally Szczerbiak. IF HE IS FIT AND HIS KNEE CAN GO FOR A FEW MONTHS WHY NOT!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Because this team plays at 78 rpm and Wally spins at 33 rpm.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 pm

112288 wrote:HOW ABOUT Wally Szczerbiak. IF HE IS FIT AND HIS KNEE CAN GO FOR A FEW MONTHS WHY NOT!

How about Wally Amos

Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position Z

or Wally the Green Monster

Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position Wally-green-monster

or Where's Waldo for that matter

Mc Hale Weigh's In On Celtic Position Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0EvUMTF3FjJit-d5NdKev7FvFELZaCTRU0F93tsPwTEKRW2tOcw

They make about as much sense as that washed up, injury prone, no defense playing has been.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm

HOW ABOUT WALTER CRONKITE!

OR

WALT DISNEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next