Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate

3 posters

Go down

Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate Empty Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate

Jay King | February 11, 2011 at 10:54 am | 6 Comments

If doctors determine Marquis Daniels won’t be able to play again this season, according to the Boston Globe, the Boston Celtics will likely buy out his contract to free a roster spot. Hmmm. They don’t trust Von Wafer as a small forward — not at all — and would need to add a wing to replace Daniels in the rotation.

The Globe gives a list of players who could be available free agents after the buy-out period.

Various players could become available as the deadline approaches: Sacramento’s Carl Landry, Washington’s Josh Howard (a player the Celtics have coveted), Cleveland’s Jamario Moon and Anthony Parker, Denver’s Arron Afflalo, Detroit’s Tracy McGrady and Chris Wilcox, the Clippers’ Rasual Butler and Craig Smith, former Milwaukee All-Star Michael Redd, and New York swingman Roger Mason.

There are actually some intriguing names on that list, no? I’d be okay with Moon, Parker, Afflalo, McGrady, or Butler, and — if they hadn’t died many moons ago — I’d be okay with Michael Redd or Josh Howard, too. Craig Smith and Carl Landry aren’t small forwards, so they don’t fit in Boston (even if they’re both talented, if immensely undersized [height-wise only], post players).

Best case scenario (I think?), doctors determine Daniels will miss no more than a month, meaning he’d return healthy in plenty of time for the playoffs. Worst case scenario, Daniels can’t return and gets bought out, so the Celtics coax Adam Morrison off the streets to continue his NBA career — if you can call it a career.

Just kidding, guys. Morrison, like Josh Howard and Michael Redd, actually passed away quite some time ago.

Back to top Go down

Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate Empty Re: Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:37 pm

What would these teams want in exchange for those players? We can free up a roster space by waiving Q, but then what/who do we have to give up to get someone who isn't also being waived because they're too old/injured/ineffective? If Q can't play this season, I'd like to trade his expiring contract (he's on a one year) for a still-good-quality 3 with a longer term contract. That makes some sense to me, since the incentive for the other team to pull the trigger would be cap room with the new CBA looming in mind.

I doubt Sacto will give up Landry for nothing, IMO he's the most valuable name on that list. Moon is a deer (see Charles Barkley's definition of "rookies". What's sad is that Moon isn't a rookie anymore).

Landry might be a bit big for a 3, but then he's also too small for a 4 and is coveted at that position nevertheless. He's very versatile and quick for someone his size and weight (6'8"+, 248#). He has a nice midrange shot that will open up the middle like Q's game doesn't. At 27, he's still in his prime.

Another idea might be Najera. About the same money as Q, with an extra year on his contract. Not as quick or as versatile as Q, so he won't help us against LBJ or Kobe, but very physical.

Grant Hill? Danny was chasing him in the offseason and he chose Phoenix. They didn't have a shot at the title then and they don't now. What they have is a non-physical run-and-gun style that fits his style of play. Sure, I'd love to have Grant Hill coming off our bench behind Pierce, I'm just not holding my breath.

How about trading Q, and his expiring contract, for Tony Allen? Talk about rich in irony.

Dahntay Jones of Indiana, nee Boston Celtics?
Maybe Houston will buy out Shane Battier? I can dream, can't I?

The other names mentioned: Afflalo, T-Mac, Redd, Parker are all 2s. We're not in this because we need a 2, we're in this because we need a 3 if Daniels can't answer the bell.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate Empty Re: Report: Marquis Daniels potential buy-out candidate

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:21 pm

bobheckler wrote: Moon is a deer (see Charles Barkley's definition of "rookies". What's sad is that Moon isn't a rookie anymore).

bob

That's got to be my favorite Barkley quote;

"Run like deer, jump like deer, think like deer".

I remember him applying it to Gerald Green once.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down