Marquis Daniels 'definitely' able to play next season

+2
MDCelticsFan
6 posters

Go down

Marquis Daniels 'definitely' able to play next season Empty Marquis Daniels 'definitely' able to play next season

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Jun 9, 2011

By A. Sherrod Blakely
CSNNE.com

The last time Boston Celtics fans saw Marquis Daniels on a basketball floor, the versatile wingman had to be carried out of the TD Garden on a stretcher after suffering a bruised spinal cord.

Daniels' fans, as well as the Celtics, didn't know if he would ever play again.

He isn't totally back to full strength, but he's now at a point where his agent, Mark Bartelstein, tells CSNNE.com that Daniels will "definitely" be able to play next season.

And it's not totally out of the question that the 6-foot-6 forward could return to Boston, either.

"When the time comes, he's going to look at and explore all his options," Bartelstein said. "But Boston is certainly a team he knows well, has a great amount of respect for and really enjoyed his time there."

Bartlestein said Daniels will have another check-up in a couple weeks.

"He can do some light work now, but after that, he should be able to go all-out," Bartelstein said.

While Daniels' versatility is coveted, his track record with injuries raises a number of concerns.

During the 2009-2010 season -- his first season with the Celtics -- he missed 31 games with an assortment of injuries with the most serious being a wrist injury that required surgery. He eventually returned, only to suffer a neck injury in the playoffs. This past season, Daniels' spinal cord injury ended his season after just 49 games. It marked the third straight season that Daniels missed significant time due to injury (he appeared in 54 games during the 2008-2009 season in Indiana).

Even though Daniels' play was inconsistent at times last season, it was clear that he was more comfortable and played with greater confidence having had a year under his belt in the Celtics' system.

"I was just trying to fit in (during the first year with the Celtics)," Daniels said prior to suffering a bruised spinal cord injury against Orlando on Feb. 6. "They look for me now; just knowing your role and accepting it."

Daniels did just that, with the Celtics posting a 37-12 record with him in the lineup last season.

Even with a clean bill of health, it is unclear if the Celtics will pursue Daniels when the free agency period begins.

It usually begins July 1, but with the Collective Bargaining Agreement set to expire June 30, it's unclear when teams can begin negotiating with free agents.

If Boston elects to bring Daniels back for a third stint, they will likely do it in addition to adding another player who can play the wing position. That could give the Celtics a similar 1-2 punch off the bench at the wing position, similar to what they had two years ago with Daniels and Tony Allen (now with the Memphis Grizzlies).

Another factor that can't be ignored when talking about a potential return by Daniels, is head coach Doc Rivers.

Despite his ups and downs with the Celtics, Rivers maintained a high level of confidence in Daniels.

"I just know what he has," Rivers said of Daniels this past season. "You know the old saying with coaches: 'You don't coach a player to what he is today. You coach him to what you think he should be someday.' I just think he can do that a lot, and I think he wants to do that."

112288 cat

Back to top Go down

Marquis Daniels 'definitely' able to play next season Empty Re: Marquis Daniels 'definitely' able to play next season

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:18 am

Wonderful news: 'Quis is a stand up guy and always gave his max performance in whatever role Doc cast him in: Love to see him in green again only time will tell. He's an asset to whatever team lands his services!

MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Marquis Daniels 'definitely' able to play next season Empty Re: Marquis Daniels 'definitely' able to play next season

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 am

Wouldnt mind seeing him on the roster really, he can spell both 2 and 3 and can post up really well.

Would not want him to be the guy you "depend on" because of his injury history but we already have allen/west and pierce/green.

Maybe that would make it uninteresting for him though because of lack of playing time.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:24 am

He was playing such good basketball before the injury, and was a valuable member of the team. I really wouldn't mind seeing them give him another shot.
However, I do think they still will need another wing to come in and spot Pierce. Preferably a shooter.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Rosalie, what are you doing up at 2:24 am? You're a baaaaaaaaaad girl! Just wait until you grow up and find out your kids are staying up too late. Then you'll know how much grief you're giving those of us who love you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I am a terrible sleeper, am up at all times of the night, so my best friend is my computer. Lately I have a bad back and am going to therapy to see if I can get it straightened out, but, when they work on me, all those muscles and nerves seem to come alive at night!!!! Thank God for this forum where I can go and read what everyone has to say, sometimes I answer, sometimes I just read.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:27 pm

If MD accepted the vet min I would take a chance on him but with the expectation that he may not be able to help given his history of injuries.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down