Muphy, Rasual Butler Buyouts Reported Completed and Other Possiblities

+3
jeb
TickTock
Sam
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Muphy, Rasual Butler Buyouts Reported Completed and Other Possiblities  Empty Muphy, Rasual Butler Buyouts Reported Completed and Other Possiblities

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 am

I had to stay up until friggin' 1:50 am to reward my surfing for buyout news, but an ESPN source has now reported that Troy Murphy has been bought out and is now deciding between Boston and Miami.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6166159&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

I hope it's true, and I hope the Celtics get him.

Rasual Butler has apparently been bought out by the Clippers.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/02/nba-clippers-bulls-rasual-butler-baron-davis.html

But it appears Butler will sign with Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6165494&ex_cid=nhffromfb

Hoops World reports there's still a chance Hamilton may be bought out.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18921

Personally, I'm still hoping to see Gadzuric's name on the completed buyout list. Adding a defensive center, a rebounding and 3-point-shooting PF, and another wing man wouldn't hurt at all. We'll see.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Muphy, Rasual Butler Buyouts Reported Completed and Other Possiblities  Empty Re: Muphy, Rasual Butler Buyouts Reported Completed and Other Possiblities

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 am

Glad that late night sleuthing paid off Sam Smile

I'm right there with you in hoping we get Murphy. He won't be the answer to every problem but I do think he could contribute. Also would love to see Rip here but I have my doubts about whether he'll actually be bought out.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Muphy, Rasual Butler Buyouts Reported Completed and Other Possiblities  Empty Re: Muphy, Rasual Butler Buyouts Reported Completed and Other Possiblities

Post by jeb Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 am

get him Danny! we need the boards and points! Exciting Sam!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 am

I've added a few more items to my post (above). Check them out. While it would be nice to add three more veterans at the 3, 4 and 5, at some point I would guess bought out players would be wary of joining a team as stacked as the Celtics are becoming. I imagine they'd have to weigh concerns about playing time against likelihood of getting a ring. They won't make much money from the Celtics (or the Heat), but they'll already have done quite well for themselves through the buyouts.

It could be excitin, Jeb. We'll see. (I seem to be saying that a lot these days.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:17 am

Hoping I wake up and see that Celtics have or are at least close to signing some of the aforementioned players.

Goodnight Guys
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 am

Tick,

Send me your phone number. I'll call you around 3:00 am if something happens.

Only kidding. Speak to me, Tick. Talk, Tick.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:15 am

according to realgm the celtics are the favorites to land murphy

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211567/Murphy_Reaches_Buyout_Agreement
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:00 am

Miami is also in pursuit of Murphy. Also, there's the rumor that Mike Bibby is looking for a buyout from the Wiz and that Miami would pursue him if he's available.

Let's hope they don't score a twofer, that'd be bad for us since that'd give them good backups at 1 and 4.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Now I'm reading that the Celtics may go after Bibby (although I still haven't seen that he has been bought out). I can't really see using up a roster slot for him, although it would be insurance if both Rondo and Delonte went down. Frankly, if Rondo goes down, things will be pretty grim.

Moreover, I'm still wondering when some of these buyout guys will begin to realize that they're likely to get very few minutes on such a loaded roster.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:44 pm

sam wrote:Tick,

Send me your phone number. I'll call you around 3:00 am if something happens.

Only kidding. Speak to me, Tick. Talk, Tick.

Sam

Hey Sam,

I didn't know you offered that kind of service Very Happy . Hope you don't mind calling long distance Smile.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:46 pm

ESPN quoting source as saying that Bibby is headed to the Heat and that Miami is also the front-runner for Murphy.
Here's the link http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6167769
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Corey Brewer has been bought out, and reports are that the Celtics have interest in him. Bibby's said to be more in demand by either the Heat or the Lakers.

I have no link because I just heard this on WEEI radio.

Brewer is known as a fine defensive forward (6' 9") with limited offensive skills. I could see him being platooned with Wafer off the bench, depending on whether an offensive or defensive emphasis is situationally warranted. Acquiring Brewer and Murphy would make me happy. Add Gadzuric (who has not been bought out to date), and I'd immediately go the Caribbean and hold fiesta. (I'm planning to do that anyway, so an acquisition of Brewer/Murphy/Gadzuric would fit neatly into my plans.)

Sam

Last edited by sam on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Corey Brewer has been bought out by NY and we are in pursuit.

Not a shooter, but does shoot 70% from the line. Long, defensive player. Almost 25 years old. 6-9", 185#.

It looks like Bibby is going to Miami. Good, I didn't want to cheer for that little snot anyway. The rumor is that he was promised he'd start eventually. I'm sure that makes Arroyo and Chalmers so very pleased.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:26 pm

sam wrote:Ron Brewer has been bought out, and reports are that the Celtics have interest in him. Bibby's said to be more in demand by either the Heat of the Lakers.

I have no link because I just heard this on WEEI radio.

Brewer is known as a fine defensive guard (6' 4") with limited offensive skills. I could see him being platooned with Wafer off the bench, depending on whether an offensive or defensive emphasis is situationally warranted. Acquiring Brewer and Murphy would make me happy. Add Gadzuric (who has not been bought out to date), and I'd immediately go the Caribbean and hold fiesta. (I'm planning to do that anyway, so an acquisition of Brewer/Murphy/Gadzuric would fit neatly into my plans.)

Sam

sam,

I believe it was COREY Brewer, not Ron, who was bought out by the Knicks.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Sorry, Bob. Brain crepidation. Same comments on Corey, who has been described as a potential lock-down defender.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm

WEEI has just announced that Bibby has gone to the Heat.

Thank God! Not a fan. Not a true "1," and he'll give the Heat another shooter to want the ball.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Miami is going to have to cut someone now as their roster is full. Espn article mentioned Arroyo and Magloire as the likely causalities, that should make Arroyo even happier.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Tick,

Juwan Howard was also mentioned.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:46 pm

I think Bibby would have been a better fit for the Lakers than the Heat. The Lakes need some firepower at the PG slot.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm

sam wrote:Tick,

Juwan Howard was also mentioned.

Sam

hmm, I think I'd prefer Magloire. Howard is 38 years old, Magloire is going on 33. Howard's 6'9", Magloire's 6'11", both about 255-260#. Also, Howard plays soft, Magloire doesn't.

Magloire's averaging 6mpg for Miami this year, Howard's averaging 10, so they might see Magloire as less important. I think they'd be nuts to release Magloire instead of Howard, ESPECIALLY knowing Danny's lurking.

Magloire isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but he's a very physical animal who might take some of the sting out of losing The Beast. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Danny coveted him when he became a free agent in Dallas...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 pm

According to RedsArmy, the Celtics were interested in Corey Brewer before the trade deadline. According to RedsArmy, that was what was holding up the 'Melo trade.

If that's true, then there's a good chance we'll see Brewer in green.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Magliore is also slower than sh!t, if Dampier and Zauraunas are ahead of him,what does that tell you?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Magliore is also slower than sh!t, if Dampier and Zauraunas are ahead of him,what does that tell you?

Cow,

It tells me he'll be playing behind 38-year old Shaq, Brittle JON and Krstic. That's what it tells me. It tells me another piece at that position might not be a waste of a slot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:04 pm

good point bob, Sam and I have been going back and forth about the trade.I like it because it gives us more firepower and flexibilty, a fresher Pierce will be great to see, but I don't like relying on KG,Baby and Nenad as my big man rotation, because we don't know what were gonna get from the O'Neal Brothers.....if we can get 20 minutes from Shaq and 15 from JON in playoffs I'll be thrilled,but I dunno if thats realistic?......what do you think?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:37 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:good point bob, Sam and I have been going back and forth about the trade.I like it because it gives us more firepower and flexibilty, a fresher Pierce will be great to see, but I don't like relying on KG,Baby and Nenad as my big man rotation, because we don't know what were gonna get from the O'Neal Brothers.....if we can get 20 minutes from Shaq and 15 from JON in playoffs I'll be thrilled,but I dunno if thats realistic?......what do you think?

cow,

I think we can get 20mpg from Shaq and 15 from JON in the playoffs. What I don't know is how many games they'll be able to give them to us. There's a minimum of 16 and a maximum of 28 playoff games (note: my calculations assume we make it to the Finals). Have we gotten 16 straight games of play out of either of those two yet this year? That's why I like Magloire. I want some slab o' beef with more height than Davis backing up "Nenad the toothpick" if the first two go down.

Other than the obvious hole left at the 5 spot, I'm liking the trade the more I think about it. The undeniable truth is that we had the second best record in the league without Perk. The undeniable truth is that Nate's effectiveness, per 36 minutes of play, were down in just about every category this season.

We lost a banger, but didn't lose height. In fact, we gained height. We lost a rally-killing gunner, which will provide opportunity and minutes for a now-solid performing gunner, Von Wafer. Our defensive liability at 2 has been resolved. Other than Bradley, who is not ready to be a 1 anyway, we never had a backup point guard after West went down, so trading Nate didn't change that.

We needed a backup for Pierce, we got another team's starter for that. How bad is that? Think of that. We now have, coming off our bench, two players were were starters for good teams. We didn't acquire them because they were past their prime, had nothing left, etc. We acquired one through trade and due to a mental breakdown that made him politically incorrect. If you want to consider that Davis could, and probably would, start on 90% of the teams in the NBA, that means our second team has 3 first-teamers on it now and when JON comes back that'll make 4.

Our future core is Rondo, Davis, Green. That's pretty damn good.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next