WILL the Celtics Make the Playoffs this Year?

+7
bobheckler
Outside
dbrown4
bobc33
Matty
NYCelt
LACELTFAN
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WILL the Celtics Make the Playoffs this Year? Empty WILL the Celtics Make the Playoffs this Year?

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 pm

What?.....They already did? Oh,.... never mind.
Congrats to the first team in....Now go get 18!
GO CELTICS!!!!
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

WILL the Celtics Make the Playoffs this Year? Empty Re: WILL the Celtics Make the Playoffs this Year?

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 pm

LACELTFAN wrote:What?.....They already did? Oh,.... never mind.
Congrats to the first team in....Now go get 18!
GO CELTICS!!!!

LA,

Now there's a great post from someone with a good sense of twisted, ironic humor.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

WILL the Celtics Make the Playoffs this Year? Empty Re: WILL the Celtics Make the Playoffs this Year?

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Alas...twisted and ironic...Glad you enjoyed it...It's a good to be green.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 pm

no way they get into the playoffs

Ray's ankles are shot, KG's knee's is bad and he's too old, Paul is too fat, Rondo too inexpereinced, JON is washed up and will never play again, Shaq too old, too fat and too injured, Arroyo is prolly a spie sent in by Miami, last yrs playoff run was a fluke, Baby will cry and is fat, Green is overated, no one really knows how to spell Krystik's name (well i dont anyhow) Thibs is gone, we traded Perk, Delonte West got lost here in Lima, Ohio at the weekends gun show, Doc Rivers is more concerned with his family.. who i miss? Oh yeah, and The Heat have already been awarded the 2010-2011 NBA title anyhow so whats the point of getting into the playoffs anyways???

Wait, we did get into the Playoffs???? cheers

With the best record in the East??? cheers

I dont get it... lol!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Matty,

Don't forget, Danny Ainge does not have what it takes to make a deal...

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm

bobc33 wrote:Matty,

Don't forget, Danny Ainge does not have what it takes to make a deal...

I knew i was forgetting something!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:10 am

Don't forget Boston's embarrassing past history and performance in the playoffs. Absolutely horrendous once/if they even make it to the finals.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Speaking of the playoffs, why is it necessary to restrict teams in the playoffs to a 12 man roster vs. 15 for the regular season? It seems like with the dragging on of the regular season and the subsequent injuries or potential for them, having as more players available than less would make the most sense. But this is the NBA.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Sorry. Rules changed several years ago to expand PO roster to 15. 12 Active, 3 Inactive. Whatever that means.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Dbrown,

it's been that way for a while. Each team has a max of 12 in uniform for each game, with the remaining 1-3 players in suits cheering on their team. In 2008, for example, Scalabrine was part of the roster of 15 but wasn't active for most, if not all, playoff games.

It's that way regular season and playoffs. The team can change the 12 designated as active (eligible to play) from game to game.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Outside wrote:Dbrown,

it's been that way for a while. Each team has a max of 12 in uniform for each game, with the remaining 1-3 players in suits cheering on their team. In 2008, for example, Scalabrine was part of the roster of 15 but wasn't active for most, if not all, playoff games.

It's that way regular season and playoffs. The team can change the 12 designated as active (eligible to play) from game to game.

Outside,

So, assuming we're drawing from the same list of 15 playoff eligible players, this means that we could have one group of 12 for a series that they'd match up well with, and then just decide a different 12 would be active for a series against a different opponent? Could Doc decide "well, they seem to have figured out how to play against these 12 so for the next game in the same series, let's go with a different 12"?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Outside,

So, assuming we're drawing from the same list of 15 playoff eligible players, this means that we could have one group of 12 for a series that they'd match up well with, and then just decide a different 12 would be active for a series against a different opponent? Could Doc decide "well, they seem to have figured out how to play against these 12 so for the next game in the same series, let's go with a different 12"?

bob

In the playoffs, it is my understanding that 12 man rosters are set series by series. Once a new series starts you can make changes, but not in mid-stream.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the way it is. Same as in baseball.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm

steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Outside,

bob

In the playoffs, it is my understanding that 12 man rosters are set series by series. Once a new series starts you can make changes, but not in mid-stream.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the way it is. Same as in baseball.

If that's the case (and it does make sense. Mid-series additions and subtractions makes the 12 man roster a joke but series by series you should be able to make adjustments for "injuries". Why would GMs scoop up players before the deadline if they were only going to be inactive for the entire playoffs because they're not in the top 12?) then we could have a 12 man roster that is loaded with bigs to play Orlando and LA and have a different 12 man roster that's loaded with smalls to play against Miami and Chicago.

If that's not a damn good reason to have a fully loaded, fully integrated roster of genuine NBA ballers from top-to-bottom, like Danny has built, instead of 8-10 ballers and the rest just filler, I don't know what is!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:45 pm

bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Outside,

bob

If that's the case (and it does make sense. Mid-series additions and subtractions makes the 12 man roster a joke but series by series you should be able to make adjustments for "injuries". Why would GMs scoop up players before the deadline if they were only going to be inactive for the entire playoffs because they're not in the top 12?) then we could have a 12 man roster that is loaded with bigs to play Orlando and LA and have a different 12 man roster that's loaded with smalls to play against Miami and Chicago.

If that's not a damn good reason to have a fully loaded, fully integrated roster of genuine NBA ballers from top-to-bottom, like Danny has built, instead of 8-10 ballers and the rest just filler, I don't know what is!

bob

Why would you want a "12 man roster that's loaded with smalls to play against Miami..." when Miami is weak in in the middle? To have a roster of several 6'10" - 7'0" guys to take advantage of their lack of size would seemingly give us the best chance of winning by exploiting that weakness. I'd want a team loaded in the frontcourt against the Heat, plus obviously Jeff Green, giving us a new wrinkle against Lebron.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:16 pm

steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Outside,

bob

bob

Why would you want a "12 man roster that's loaded with smalls to play against Miami..." when Miami is weak in in the middle? To have a roster of several 6'10" - 7'0" guys to take advantage of their lack of size would seemingly give us the best chance of winning by exploiting that weakness. I'd want a team loaded in the frontcourt against the Heat, plus obviously Jeff Green, giving us a new wrinkle against Lebron.

steve,

My thought was about matchups, as opposed to creating mismatches.

You're right, a big team that could pound Miami into paste by attacking their weakness is one way to go.

Another way might be to attack and negate their strengths, namely Wade and LBJ, by throwing waves of 2s and 3s at them, and beating them with our still superior 1s, 4s and 5s. If we take LBJ and Wade out of their games with different looks, Miami has little to nothing left. If we do well against Z and Damp, BFD. I mean, HOW much better will Shaq, JON and Krstic do against them? 10 points better? 20 points better? LBJ and Wade, with some help from Miller, are handfuls and can beat you almost single-handedly and yes, if they are allowed to get in rhythm, can drop a combined 70+ on you.

Regardless of whether we go your way or mine, the ability to effectively restructure your team series-by-series because you've got quality depth at every position was the main point I was trying to extol in my post above.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Okay, I looked it up, and I was wrong. Sorry to have caused whatever it is I caused.

I was going by memory, and that was obviously a poor choice. Each team chooses a roster of 12 for the entire playoffs, probably to avoid the scenarios that BobH was scheming up.

From nba.com (http://www.nba.com/analysis/00421026.html):

Each team that qualifies for the NBA Playoffs must submit a list of its players eligible to compete in playoff games on the day following the end of the regular season.

Because there is no Injured List for the NBA Playoffs, each playoff team must designate the 12 players eligible for the playoffs from all of its regular season lists (Active, Injured and Suspended).

A player who is on the Injured, Active or Suspended List at the end of the regular season, but who is not designated for playoff eligibility, need not be waived. He remains on the appropriate regular season list through the NBA Playoffs.

Teams must have at least nine eligible players dressed and able to play in a playoff game. Teams failing to comply are subject to fines.

Shoulda looked it up before my prior post, but on the plus side, now I know.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Outside wrote:Okay, I looked it up, and I was wrong. Sorry to have caused whatever it is I caused.

I was going by memory, and that was obviously a poor choice. Each team chooses a roster of 12 for the entire playoffs, probably to avoid the scenarios that BobH was scheming up.

From nba.com (http://www.nba.com/analysis/00421026.html):

Each team that qualifies for the NBA Playoffs must submit a list of its players eligible to compete in playoff games on the day following the end of the regular season.

Because there is no Injured List for the NBA Playoffs, each playoff team must designate the 12 players eligible for the playoffs from all of its regular season lists (Active, Injured and Suspended).

A player who is on the Injured, Active or Suspended List at the end of the regular season, but who is not designated for playoff eligibility, need not be waived. He remains on the appropriate regular season list through the NBA Playoffs.

Teams must have at least nine eligible players dressed and able to play in a playoff game. Teams failing to comply are subject to fines.

Shoulda looked it up before my prior post, but on the plus side, now I know.

Outside

Rats! I knew it was too good to be true.

Hmmm. So that means if we, or anybody else, get hit with a rash of injuries we can't backfill.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Outside, the source you cited was dated 2001. This one, dated 2006, says that each team designates 15 players for the players and selects 12 for any given game:

"Increase in Playoff Roster Size:

Playoff roster size will be expanded from 13 to 15 players, with each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game."

http://www.nba.com/news/rulechanges_060802.html

I can't find a source more recent than that.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 am

Sam, thanks for spotting that. I should've looked at the date at the top of the page. So I was right in the first place.

I did some further searching, and I can't find anything more recent than what you found. And what you found gibes with what I originally thought.

As for BobH's theoretical drastic lineup changes from game to game or series to series, the end of the roster probably doesn't have enough quality, playoff-ready players to make that practical. It's more likely for, say, Doc to use Glen Davis more in one series or another based on the opponent, but adjusting who plays based on matchups has been going on for a long time (probably since someone like Red invented it).

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 am

sam wrote:Outside, the source you cited was dated 2001. This one, dated 2006, says that each team designates 15 players for the players and selects 12 for any given game:

"Increase in Playoff Roster Size:

Playoff roster size will be expanded from 13 to 15 players, with each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game."

http://www.nba.com/news/rulechanges_060802.html

I can't find a source more recent than that.

Sam

So it seems that after the 2006-2007 season the league allows teams to change their roster every game:

Increase in Playoff Roster Size:
# Playoff roster size will be expanded from 13 to 15 players, with each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game.

I somehow don't remember us doing that but it's allowed and right there in black and white.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:27 am

Unless there has been a more recent change that isn't readily identifiable.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 am

What seems likely to me is that the Celtics will have a basic rotation of the same 12 players throughout the playoffs (health permitting):

Shaq
KG
Pierce
Ray
Rondo
Kristic
Davis
Green
Sasha
West
Murphy
Wafer

The three scratches would be Jermaine, Arroyo and Bradley.

IF Jermaine is healthy (current Vegas odds must be something like 100 to 1 against it), I think the tenuous center position would warrant his replacing someone, and I'd bet that someone would be Murphy rather than the other obvious candidate, Wafer. My reasoning is that, with KG, Davis, and Green all very capable of playing PF, that one position is three deep, while the two wing positions are only a combined five deep, including Wafer, Pierce, Ray, Green (IF he's not at PF), and Sasha.

There's certainly an argument for including Arroyo among the "core" 12 instead of Wafer, but the tough defensive assignments at the two wing positions are likely to produce more foul trouble than will be incurred by the combination of Rondo and West.

Of course, there's the possibility that Arroyo could win the backup PG spot in the next few weeks (especially if West continues to miss games), making a presumably healthy West available as a wing to replace Wafer on the "core" roster. Forgetting injuries for the moment (what a pleasant respite), I doubt that Arroyo will know the system as well as West by playoff time.

I'm pretty much dismissing Bradley, pending a horrific emergency.

If it really is true that the team dresses 12 of the 15 players on a game-by-game basis, it should benefit the deepest team, which I believe is the Celtics. They have more alternatives with which to customize the roster for each game based on matchups, injuries, etc.

Of course, things never turn out as neatly as I've implied. The viability of this entire scenario depends on a whole lot of learning and coalescing between now and the regular season's end. Thank goodness they had a full practice yesterday—I'm quite sure only their second full practice since "The Trade."

When the final chapter is written on this season, one of the most important developments could turn out to be the acquisition of Arroyo. The bench was going absolutely nowhere with Bradley as the PG, and perhaps some of Rondo's recent turnover tendencies may be traced to overwork. I don't know much about Arroyo, but he couldn't run an offense any more poorly than Bradley at present.

We should all have a lot of fun watching and commenting on developments during the last 20+ games of the regular season.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Sam

In checking the box scores from last season in the playoffs. Perk was not listed in the 12 dressed players and was "replaced" by Williams for game 7. Williams had not been one of the 12 the game before. So it is apparent that you can pick and choose which 12 of the 15 you dress game to game.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Beat, you're a good detective. You should be working in the criminal system. lol

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm

1. The subject line of this thread needs to be nominated as one of the all time greats.
2. Just like the first post. Great job, U sure got me.
3. My understanding has been that since they changed the rule, it's applied to both regular season and playoffs the same way. glad to see that confirmed.
4. This is a great rule in that the roster can change from game to game as needed. You have the players you have under contract, max 15, and dress the 12 you feel the best about for that game. Again, the way it should be, esp with the elimination of the Injured Reserve provision which would elminate a player for the season even if he could make it back.
5. No matter which system would be used, you don't want to be a rookie on a Doc Rivers coached team. lol

Go Celtics
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next