Salary Cap and Danny's dilemma for the future

Go down

Salary Cap and Danny's dilemma for the future Empty Salary Cap and Danny's dilemma for the future

Post by swish Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Be happy that your not the General manager of the Celts over the next 2 years for Danny is faced with the task of starting to rebuilt the team while remaining in the hunt for another ring . He has already taken the first step with the acquistion of Green, a move that many are opposed to. Certainly a move that will be viewed by many as the reason for failure should the Celtics fall short. I personally shy away from making predictions or playing "Monday Morning" quarterback because of a 63 year history of seemingly always being wrong. Never the less I really enjoy the banter that goes back and forth on this board and take the time to read just about every post.

What I want to show with this post is the Degree of difficulty that Danny faces with shaping the future for the Celts. For some the answer ls waiting for the free agent market in the summer of 2012-13 when ,as it stands now,the Celts will be under the salary cap. But don' be fooled by the numbers. They don't tell the whole story. Take a close look at the below Numbers.

The best case scenarial for maximum salary cap space would be for the celtics to go into the 2012-13 free agent season with only Pierce and Rondo on the books-- a total of $27,790 345.00. But to that number you must add a roster charge for each open roster spot up to 12 spaces. First of all there is a charge for a 1'st round draft pick This charge can range from about $4,000,000 for the !st round pick to as little as $800,000 for the 30th pick. I will use the 15th pick since there is no way to know the Celts finish in 2012-13. That adds about $1,400,000 to the payroll. Now the salary cap rules declare that for each open roster space you must add an additional charge equal to the minimum veteran salary which was $473,000 in 2010. I will jump it up to $500,000 in 2012-13. Since there are still 9 roster spaces open that adds another $4,500,000 to the team payroll for a grand total of $34,688,545.00. With a salary cap of lets say $58 mil. the Celts have $23,311,455 to fill out a minimum 12 man roster. And as long as they are under the salary cap neither the MLE or LLE exemption money is available. And if the Celts had offered, and if Perk had excepted the same numbers that he got from OKC, the available salary cap space with Perk on the roster would be $16,687,829 with 9 roster spaces to fill
So for those of you who like to play General Manger, put on Danny"s hat, and with an eye to the future take a shot at coming up with a plan that provides for a shot at keeping the Celts amongst the elite and not suffering the dismal decades that followed the glory years of the 80's.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down