Our trip the watch the Celtics!

4 posters

Go down

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Empty Our trip the watch the Celtics!

Post by beat Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:48 am

NEVER AGAIN! (at least not this way)

No not the Celtics........the TRAIN RIDE. OMG I have never never been through anything quite like it. Delays, breakdowns,track flooded and the FOOD ( I hate to call it that ) was bad. Left Syracuse 30 minutes late about noon on Thursday and did not arrive in South station till well after 10 PM that evening.

Then a quick cab ride to the motel near the Garden ( on an earlier trip during a board party I grabbed a few of the cabbies cards of which Sam has an account................I really thought about telling the cabbie to put this on "sams" account!

So now we get to the hotel......go to our room and my daughter opened the door. Yep 2 beds a TV and a bath all in about 25 square feet of floor space. Crowded does not begin to tell it. But aftert that train any bed looked pretty good.

Next morning a fresh start witha walk down to Quincey Market (visit to Red) lunch at legal seafood and viewing the many buildings that Bob C used to work in. ( still wonder why he could never hold a job down, seems like a bright enough guy )

Even walked over to the commons where we left the kids and the wife and I went back to the hotel. Kids ended up in a champs store where Marcus ran into 2 of the Wizard players McVie and Lewis and had his phot taken with um.

Lots of shopping in the shops for celtic stuff then the game. Waited a bit to go in, during which time a bomb/drug sniffing dog smeeled marcus's feet, (and survived) he wore those yellow sneakeers he bought a couple months ago. Once inside we finally found our way to our seats. Having been to the OLD garden and seeing the banners there................this was OK but I just didn't get the feeling I had back then 30 years ago. It was very clean and beautiful, but it wasn't Boston Garden. Looking up at the banners was nice now that there are 5 more since the last time I looked at them first hand.

Marcus got a couple Wiz autographs down by the tunnel prior to the game.

Seats were about 20 rows up behind the visitors end's basket. I was blocked from viewing the far hoop by the closer backboard and found myself viewing the jumbotron instead of watching the game a bit to often.

As for the game itself I thought Rondo looked like a bullfighter the way he let Wall go by him time after time. Wall gets the ball and goes, too often Rondo gets the ball and walks. Oh well we did what we had to do to win. Only 1 trey in 12 attempts. Rondo did look steady at the line.

Highlight of the game for us Sarah grabbed a tee shirt during a T toss. Of course it's 3x and is a bit big but hey can't beat the price and Marcus is working out a trade for it.

grabbed a quick bite to eat after the game and then some sleep. Looking for the long ride home. Train back wasn't any better than the way there. Delays backups waiting in Albany for nearly 1 1/2 hours ect. Finally got to Syracuse about 10 PM last night. Then we went to get the token for the parking lot and the machine would not take our money. About this time a less stable person might go on a killing rampage but me ....I only swore ( a little). I then got the idea to try the other exit meant for the buses. The token machine there worked and we were on our way home.

Upon arrival at home all the pets 1 cat and 2 fish were in there appropriate places. Home had not been burglarized and all appeared NORMAL.

Glad to be home. And next time.....................I'll drive, or ride with Deano or Bob!

Here are a few pics

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston10

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston11

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston12

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston13

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston14

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston15

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston16

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston17

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston18

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Boston19

beat

Last edited by beat on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Our trip the watch the Celtics! Empty Re: Our trip the watch the Celtics!

Post by Sam Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:45 am

Well, it surely doesn't sound perfect, but I bet Marcus and Sarah enjoyed it, Beat. I have to admit that, although I've been to the Fleet Center for a couple of non-game events (Russ' re-retirement and Sam's entry into the N.E. Sports Hall of Fame), I've been to only one game there (Opening game after the Garnett trade).

Since I lived four blocks from the Old Garden and saw it knocked down almost literally brick by brick, seeing a Celtics home game in a different venue just served as a reminder of what a significant chunk had left my life. But I think the Fleet Center's a good stadium, and I'm sure generations of fans will enjoy it.

Sorry you didn't have better logistical experiences. Neither the kids nor Red look particularly perturbed about the whole thing. At least I hope the cab driver treated you okay. And congratulations for rooting the Celts to victory.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Beat, sounds like a great time was had by all, even factoring in the travel woes. You got a win out of it, last year Spike and I went to see the Cs play the Wizards in April and the Celts were so putrid the home crowd was booing them vociferously. It looks like we sat in the same place you did. Marcus got autographs and Sarah caught the tee shirt, I'll bet that made the trip even more special.

The Old Garden was quite the venue; having the balcony almost hang over the court was great, I wonder what the players felt having the crowd so close. The new garden is a must better place for the family (read wife and daughter) as it much cleaner and there are many fewer rats. They never bothered me though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:00 pm

They were great with ketchup and fries.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Sam,

Don't get me wrong the new place is beautiful, but it Aint the Gahden!

Oh course the memories of that first time there are just as vivid as any I have, and that can never be replaced by all the lights and glitter, I only hope that Marcus and Sarah felt at least a little of what I felt way back when.

beat

Baseball game tomorrow.................. so back in the swing!
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Beat,

awesome story amigo, and while there were trials and tribulations the end result was you and the family got to enjoy time together while visiting sacred ground & seeing Red.

Both the kids will happily remember the trip their entire lives, what better gift could a parent leave their kids?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down