Doc Rivers: Celtic for Life?

+4
steve3344
RosalieTCeltics
sinus007
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Doc Rivers:  Celtic for Life? Empty Doc Rivers: Celtic for Life?

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:42 pm

This, per Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports joined the Mut & Merloni show Monday afternoon to discuss the NBA playoffs and other Celtics items of interest. To hear the interview, go to the Mut & Merloni audio on demand page. http://audio.weei.com/a/39834013/adrian-wojnarowski-yahoo-sports.htm

Rajon Rondo put up huge numbers in the C’s first-round series sweep of the Knicks, and Wojnarowski said the point guard will again be tough for Boston’s opponent to handle in Round 2. “He’s Miami’s most difficult matchup,” Wojnarowski said. “They don’t have a guy to deal with him.”

The Heat, who need one more win to close out the 76ers, also appear to be at a disadvantage vs. the Celtics when it comes to bench play. “The question marks around Miami’s bench continue to be immense,” Wojnarowski said. “Mike Miller, who they had signed to be a key part of that team, he’s got issues with both thumbs. He can’t shoot the ball. And so, his minutes have diminished. They’re getting less and less from that bench. That’s why they thought about signing Eddy Curry. That’s the level of desperation they had with that group there. That’s where Boston’s supposed to have the advantage here.”

If Shaquille O’Neal can return and give the C’s some quality minutes to complement Jermaine O’Neal, that would give Boston another advantage. “We’ll see what happens with Shaq, if he comes back,” Wojnarowski said. “Because Jermaine O’Neal really established himself as a big part of this Celtics postseason run with the way he played. He probably won Game 2 for Boston. I think Doc said he did, and I agree with him. His ability to defend the rim and block shots. Now, if Shaq comes back — maybe Shaq comes off the bench, maybe Shaq starts — but Boston’s bench has shown some signs in that New York series of playing better.”

Added Wojnarowski: “Doc said it all along: They had to have one of the O’Neals play. And Jermaine has played better. He exceeded my expectations. … You saw him defending, rebounding and just his movement around the floor and getting out, really being a lot of places, his rotation on defense, getting back, showing on the pick and roll and then getting back and protecting the rim. He brings a very high basketball IQ. He’s a smart guy, a veteran guy. And I thought he played great in that series and was the difference for Boston.

“But listen, Shaq still commands a double team in the post offensively. He still can rebound the ball. He can’t move like Jermaine can and defend all over the floor defensively the way Jermaine has showed himself to do. But there’s still things that Shaq brings to them that are going to help them, not just against Miami.

“You know, it’s funny: They don’t need him against Miami in terms of, Miami doesn’t have great size. But what it is is, he gives you an advantage. He gives you an edge where they have trouble matching up, and guys still have to foul him or double him. And so, while you don’t need him to match up with one of their guys, you say, ‘Hey, we have an advantage with him playing.’ So, that’s why you want him to play.”

Doc Rivers‘ contract expires at the end of the season. Said Wojnarowski: “I know this, and I talked to Doc about this in the preseason: The appeal of being the Celtics coach for life has really improved for him. I think Doc knows he will never have it better than what he has right now in Boston, with this group of players and an ownership and a GM that he works great with, and a city that I think adores him and that he has come to love coaching for.

“I think it’s going to be really hard for Doc to walk away. And he talked in the preseason about thinking about going through the rebuilding, about having an interest in doing that — rebuilding around Rondo. … The idea that he would leave and all of a sudden sign up in Miami tomorrow or right away and have to come back and coach against [Kevin] Garnett and [Paul] Pierce and [Ray] Allen, I don’t see him doing that. I think his relationships and what Boston means to him, I think he’d sit out at least a year, and then I guess it would be open to anywhere.

“While I think there’s times Doc feels like maybe it’s time to walk away, I think in a moment of truth, leaving this organization is going to be really, really hard for him. Because I think deep down he knows he’ll never have it better than he’s had it here. That will pull on his heartstrings.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Doc Rivers:  Celtic for Life? Empty Re: Doc Rivers: Celtic for Life?

Post by sinus007 Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the info. Very interesting.
I can't imagine the pressure from Mia that Doc will be under if he leaves Boston. Especially if he wins #18.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:45 pm

I really can't imagine Doc leaving these guys next year. I think that his devotion to the Celtics will win out and he will return, not for just next year, but for years to come.

I am watching the Celtics Now show, and the reporter is saying that the Knicks will have until the end of the week to make a decision on Chauncey Billups, whether to wave him or not, and that the Celtics are one of the teams he would be very interested in joining. ????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I really can't imagine Doc leaving these guys next year. I think that his devotion to the Celtics will win out and he will return, not for just next year, but for years to come.

I am watching the Celtics Now show, and the reporter is saying that the Knicks will have until the end of the week to make a decision on Chauncey Billups, whether to wave him or not, and that the Celtics are one of the teams he would be very interested in joining. ????

Knicks picked up his $14.2 million option earlier today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/04/27/2011-04-27_chauncey_billups_is_returning_to_the_knicks_as_team_agrees_to_pick_up_oneyear_14.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:29 pm

steve3344 wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I really can't imagine Doc leaving these guys next year. I think that his devotion to the Celtics will win out and he will return, not for just next year, but for years to come.

Knicks picked up his $14.2 million option earlier today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/04/27/2011-04-27_chauncey_billups_is_returning_to_the_knicks_as_team_agrees_to_pick_up_oneyear_14.html

So the Knicks will have about the same amount as weekly Marcus's allowance to spend to "improve" their team. $10 bucks!
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Yeah, that really surprised me. I figured for sure they would let him go. It might have been a good fit here for his final year or two.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:01 am

Hey Beat:

Open that wallet and reach into those deep pockets. Marcus needs more than $10.00 per week allowance!

MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:14 am

MDCelticsFan wrote:Hey Beat:

Open that wallet and reach into those deep pockets. Marcus needs more than $10.00 per week allowance!

MD

MD,

$100 per week for a 15-16 year old who doens't own a car isn't enough?

Damn, I'm old.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:51 am

I am curious, IF Shaq could play, would it be better to start him every period for a few minutes for him to draw fouls and get into the penalty early or would it be better for him to come on "later"?

Is there anything speaking against a "reversed" rotation for the O'neals? Shaq could start, draw a few fouls, give a few fouls and then rest.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 am

Bob:

I'd be surprised if Beat didn't get Marcus a car for his Sweet sixteenth B-Day! Nothing fancy: No Benz, No Audi, No Lex. just a simple Paathfinder, Range Rover, or Hummer. All those are practical considering the amount of snow flakes they get where they live.

MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am

OK

I get the point.........I am a chaep SOB.

Marcus is doing quite well driving on his permit. And won;t be getting his license for a year anyway. Actually his driving is going better than baseball this season. Seems he has lost an edge. Speed is down and control is not to good yet. Says his arm is fine and he hasn't throw much yet but with the games stacking up due to the rainouts he'll have his chances.

Tough game last week when we lost by one, although it wasn't the winning run Marcus allowed a runner to score from third on a balk. And the Balk was caused by him getting his shoestring caught in his cleat of all things and nearly made him fall as he started his delivery, which was rightfully called a balk by the ump. Oh well lesson learned make sure your cleats are tied I guess.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:58 am

Beat:

If you know Marcus has lost his Edge-Either get him another can or try Fusion Shave Gel! (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:14 am

MD

he does use the gillette fusion razor daily!

for what reason, I do not know, but he seems to think he needs too. he could get by several days without shaving and no one would ever know.

(and he used edge gell too!)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Here are a couple shots of Marcus and our new baseball field.

The third photo is just after he tripped on the shoelace causing him to balk.

Doc Rivers:  Celtic for Life? 2011_b10

Doc Rivers:  Celtic for Life? 2011_b11

Doc Rivers:  Celtic for Life? 2011_b12

Doc Rivers:  Celtic for Life? 2011_b13

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Bring on the velcro cleats!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:18 pm

NYCelt

Although the runner that scored on the balk was NOT the winning run we did loose in 8 innings 7-6.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Somehow losing one-run games by anything more than 1-0 feels worse.

All-time record rain for April on our end of the lake. A lot of HS teams are having to practice indoors.

We've had to cancel three practices in a row for our Little Leagers and some suburban park diamonds are closed with no short-term projection on when they'll re-open.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 pm

On the topic...just a guess...

I think Doc calls it a day after this season.

His son is the #1 college prospect in the nation. He missed most of the kid's high school career. I think he takes the time to see his son play at Duke. Maybe back to the NBA afterwards, but back to TV is always possible too.

Doc's also a smart guy and knows that the upcoming gradual rebuild will take time and could substantially alter the way this team looks and plays. He might consider it would be better directed by someone else without attachment to the way things are done with this bunch, and without the relatively young family that Doc has.

Just my guess.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 pm

Agree

What more does he have to prove, win or lose this season? So go watch the kid. Have fun. then in a couple years if it is still in his blood there will be a place in the NBA for him somewhere.

Plus with the lockout all but certain to happen calling it quits might be a whole lot easier

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 am

Doc Rivers: Stalwart Humanitarian for the ages! A yearly nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize: Model Father, Husband, and citizen of the Universe, a Mega Man for all seasons, or seasonings (Oregano). Only fitting he should lead the green & Green ( Yes, Jeff)- Kudos to King Doc!-not Papa Doc (former dictator)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:06 pm

what did Red have to prove for all those years he was coach and general manager of the Celtics. Don't be so sure he walks, this is the job of a lifetime for a pure basketball genius like Doc.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:what did Red have to prove for all those years he was coach and general manager of the Celtics. Don't be so sure he walks, this is the job of a lifetime for a pure basketball genius like Doc.

I don't believe Red ever had a son. That to me makes a world of difference. Doc has one, and he has missed a lot. And his son happens to be about the best freshman player in the country to boot. But you have to give up something to achieve what Doc has, I just gotta wonder if he will feel the need to give up any more regardless if the C's win or lose this year.

Only thing to me is having a son playing, I'd cut my arm off not to miss his games, heck he's got one tonight. Doc is financially set I imagine and he has missed a lot of his son's games, never can get them back, never. Doc is still young. He could easily take a couple years off watch his son play and who knows..............come back and coach his son on an NBA team? Perhaps the C's if things happen right. I'm sure there will be coaching opportunities for him if he should leave and want to come back.

Imagine the C's being in position to draft Doc's kid and bring back (should he leave in the first place) Doc to coach him.

Will his son be a one and done college kid?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:21 pm

This is true, I never, ever missed my son's basketball games when he was playing. This was from junior high through high school.

Doc also had two other children who played college basketball and volleyball.
His arrangements with the Celtics allowed him to travel around to watch them much more than you and I will ever know. I know this kid is a special talent, I hope for his sake he will take advantage of his college years and not be one and done. This is where Doc would step in and be of some guidance to him Remember, they are now talking about a 20 year old limit in the new CBA.

The lockout that is being threated would allow Doc to spend extra time with his family and give him the chance to get revitalized. I still feel there is a strong possibility that he will remain with the Celtics. However, the world will not come to an end without him, just a wonderful era of Celtics basketball.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down