Celtic owners willing to spend this summer

+2
celtic fan
RosalieTCeltics
6 posters

Go down

Celtic owners willing to spend this summer Empty Celtic owners willing to spend this summer

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed May 25, 2011 6:31 pm

I am a novice at this computer stuff, but, if you go to the CelticsBlog you will find a story about the Celtic owners being more than willing to spend
some money to bring in a few new players this summer. It is enlightening. Wyc is very open about the ability of the Celtics to spend some money
Let's see if it happens!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Celtic owners willing to spend this summer Empty Re: Celtic owners willing to spend this summer

Post by celtic fan Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm wondering how they can spend the money if they're over the salary cap though without making a trade?
They can only use the mid level exemption to sign a player who's willing to agree to it. Other than that it'll be players willing to sign for the minimum like Shaq did last year.

Here's the link

http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/5/25/2190268/celtics-owners-still-willing-to-spend

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Celtic owners willing to spend this summer Empty Re: Celtic owners willing to spend this summer

Post by Sam Wed May 25, 2011 11:47 pm

One way they can spend more money is to make sure they sign their free agents. That gives them at least a couple of slots (Green, Davis) on which they're spending considerable cash, and they can use at least one of those slots (Davis'?) to trade for another player with a decent salary. So conceivably, they could sign and keep Green, sign Davis for decent money and trade him for another player making a pretty good salary, and use the MLE exception for another good player.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Thu May 26, 2011 6:02 am

I'm all for signing Green but not breaking the bank. I'm hoping DA is of the same opinion. Summer of '12 is where I still believe the rebuild comes to full fruition. It's also the summer D12 is a FA too Wink

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 26, 2011 8:26 am

I believe they will try to sign and trade Davis, he is one unhappy puppy here right now. He will regret it, he will never have it so good again, playing with these caliber players. He feels he can start, but I really don't see that happening. I guess time will tell.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I believe they will try to sign and trade Davis, he is one unhappy puppy here right now. He will regret it, he will never have it so good again, playing with these caliber players. He feels he can start, but I really don't see that happening. I guess time will tell.
Rosalie,

I agree wholeheartedly. Davis won't find a better fit for his skills than this team, and if he leaves, I firmly believe he won't find the success that he thinks he will. The history of sports is riddled with examples of players who had a great situation on a winning or championship team and left because they thought they were better than they were, when it turned out they were better in the situation they left. I see a lot of signs that Davis fits that category. You're right, time will tell.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu May 26, 2011 10:04 am

As a general comment, I don't know how any owner can make plans or state intentions about spending money before they sign a new agreement with the players. One of the key aspects being discussed is a hard cap, which would prevent teams like the Celtics, Lakers, and Mavs from being able to go over the salary cap by paying luxury tax. I have no idea how they would work that out considering contracts are already in place that put some teams (like the Celtics) over the cap, but it seems like a condition the owners are pushing hard for. I'm sure the desire and willingness to improve the team are there for Celtic ownership, which is the main thing, but until the CBA is signed, I'm not sure what it means to make promises to spend what it takes.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 am

Hopefully it is a sign that the organisation is doing well financially which is more important than actually spending the money.

The best scenario as a fan is if the ownership feels spending "plenty of cash" on salaries, even to the extent of having a lot of luxury tax to pay, will still be an investment.

If improving the team is a good way for the owners to make more money you have a nice symbiotic relationship between fans and owners Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 26, 2011 12:21 pm

It was interesting reading what Wyc had to say because usually teams are crying poor mouth so much. When he said they were a big market team, it was telling us that they are making lots and lots of money off these guys. That is one of the reasons they will not break this team up. Popularity, period.

Let's face it, if they got rid of Garnett and Allen, there would be alot of unhappy season ticket holders out there. I have friends who buy their season tickets for the next year before the playoffs. They guaranteed them the same price, even though they would get $20.00 more for the seat if
they gave up their seats.

I, for one, am all for keeping this team together, let them retire as Boston
Celtics, when they go to the HOF, hopefully they will go in as Celtics. I love
the history of the game, and the history of the Celtics, and I consider these
guys true Celtics all the way.

So, if Wyc wants to spout off, let him put his money where his mouth is. I
believe he wants to keep up with Cuban.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu May 26, 2011 12:21 pm

How can we acquire Dwight? Is this in the realm of fiscal possibility?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 pm

I thought he wasn't available as a free agent until next year. Now that the Lakers have signed Brown, I really think they did the Celtics a favor.
If Dwight wants to play for a GREAT coach, Brown is definitely not the answer.
The only thing is, Dwight loves the big lights of Hollywood and wants to be
a STAR! I really don't see him coming here.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Thu May 26, 2011 2:34 pm

worcester wrote:How can we acquire Dwight? Is this in the realm of fiscal possibility?

It is a possibility in 2012 as I mentioned above. KG and Ray will come off the cap and teh C's will be well under the cap regardless of where it is. They'll be able to sign a max deal to a FA and still have some $$ to sign another solid addition. Now as mentioned the big thing is can the C's attract a big star who'll put the team back in contention?

we can only cross our fingers.

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Thu May 26, 2011 2:36 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:It was interesting reading what Wyc had to say because usually teams are crying poor mouth so much. When he said they were a big market team, it was telling us that they are making lots and lots of money off these guys. That is one of the reasons they will not break this team up. Popularity, period.

Let's face it, if they got rid of Garnett and Allen, there would be alot of unhappy season ticket holders out there. I have friends who buy their season tickets for the next year before the playoffs. They guaranteed them the same price, even though they would get $20.00 more for the seat if
they gave up their seats.

I, for one, am all for keeping this team together, let them retire as Boston
Celtics, when they go to the HOF, hopefully they will go in as Celtics. I love
the history of the game, and the history of the Celtics, and I consider these
guys true Celtics all the way.

So, if Wyc wants to spout off, let him put his money where his mouth is. I
believe he wants to keep up with Cuban.

my issue with the bolded sentiment is that's what the team did in the 80's with the original big 3 and it hurt the team when it came time to rebuild. I understand and appreciate loyalty as it's rare in sports today, but doing what's best for the team's furture should come first IMO. I don't want to wait another 22 years to see the Celtics win #18.

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down