Ainge: Celtics coaching staff set

2 posters

Go down

Ainge: Celtics coaching staff set Empty Ainge: Celtics coaching staff set

Post by 112288 Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:13 am

Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff August 31, 2011 04:02 PM

DORCHESTER -- Celtics president Danny Ainge could say nothing about the current NBA lockout or risk a $1 million fine but he could expound on the Celtics' coaching staff, which will be dramatically different than last year.

With Lawrence Frank, Darren Erman, and big man coach Roy Rogers gone, Ainge said today that the club will not make any more additions to the staff, meaning just-promoted Mike Longabardi is likely to fill Frank's role as defensive coordinator.

Ainge also said longtime scout Jamie Young will join the coaching staff. Frank left to become head coach of the Detroit Pistons and is expected to take Rogers with him. Erman left for a promotion with the Golden State Warriors.

"I think we're done with our coaches," said Ainge after helping present refurbished athletic facilities at the Dorchester Education Academy. "Mike's been an assistant coach behind Lawrence, behind Tom Thibodeau, under Jeff Van Gundy for many years. He's ready for a chance."

When asked about the "defensive coordinator" role, Ainge said: "We may do it different. That's a question to ask Doc [Rivers]. Mike has sort of been an assistant defensive coordinator up to this point. So it would be a natural progression for him. It may be tweaked around. (All our assistants) know our defense. Time will tell how Doc implements all their roles."

In terms of a big man coach, Ainge said assistants Armond Hill and Kevin Eastman primarily will work with the big guys but former NBA guard Tyronn Lue also will help out.

To me it sound like "Penny Wise Pound Foolish" to me. If this year is the last dance among the Big Three, you would think that they would have a more veteran staff!

Back to top Go down

Ainge: Celtics coaching staff set Empty Re: Ainge: Celtics coaching staff set

Post by Sam Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:58 am

I expect the coaches get paid regardless of a lockout. Perhaps they're waiting to see how the season shapes up before committing themselves to more money. I imagine other teams would be doing the same, so there might be some good prospects out there if and when they (hopefully) get word of a starting date for the season.

Sam

P.S. Sorry I haven't called yet. Things have been a little weird around here...first getting ready for the storm, and then dealing with two power outages since. Ironically, the storm itself was no big deal, but it was sufficient for us to lose power not once but twice. I'll be calling you shortly.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:18 am

Hope so Sam. I hate to go into a season with a rookie defensive coach who would have to earn respect from layers.

We had power (Lucky) but no internet/phone. Over 1million had no power on Long Island. The real problem was downing of trees and closing off roads, many of which left people isolated for days with no power or the ability to leave their homes. I was just checking up with you to see how you guys were faring. Talk to you soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down