Time to adopt a college team?

+2
Outside
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

Time to adopt a college team? Empty Time to adopt a college team?

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:57 am

NBA talks break down over money, games in jeopardy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbalabor

The preseason is gone which means a shortened regular season at best. This is a forum filled with basketball junkies so I wonder if an alternative might be found.

Just to start throwing some ideas around...

We could take a look at the NCAA D1 schedule and see if a fave could be found that is often televised or broadcast via the web. If enough NBA players sign overseas I would speculate that it's possible some foreign games could be broadcast, although time zones could be problematic.

I know beat and I will both be catching Syracuse Orange games regularly, but with the heavy New England contingent perhaps UMass, BC or UConn are candidates. I can't speak for beat but doubtful you'll find one of us rooting for The Huskies!

The rapidly contracting Big East seems like a natural place to start. Here are the teams in order of 2010-2011 finish; Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, St. John's, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Georgetown, Connecticut, Villanova, Marquette, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Providence, USF, DePaul.

There are always the frequently televised national powerhouses like Duke, UK and Kansas. 2011 early preseason top 10 in order are; KY, UConn, UNC, AZ, Ohio St, Duke, Louisville, Texas and Kansas.

The one issue with college games and any kind of Game On participation is they are often Saturday afternoon or Saturday evening when people tend to be busy with other things. A non Game On following/discussion might be more the thing.

I'm sure we could also find plenty of takers to temporarily throw some attention toward Patriots or Bruins games if something other than hoops is attractive.

This could be a very long lockout so I just thought I'd float the idea and see if there are any other thoughts on a temporary Celtics/NBA replacement out there.

Regards

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Time to adopt a college team? Empty Re: Time to adopt a college team?

Post by Outside Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Weekly topics about players and teams from the past? Maybe alternate Celtic and non-Celtic?

Coaching clinic topics for those who coach youth basketball?

Delta blues and country lyrics competitions for songs about missing the NBA? I could write some awful "NBA lockout blues" lyrics, but I'm sure we have some folks here who aren't missing the musical talent gene.

A book club-type thing where we all read the same book or watch the same movie and then have a discussion? One of my sons goes to UCLA, and they have what they call the Common Book Experience, where all students are encouraged to read and discuss a particular book, which I think is a neat idea. We could do the same thing with a basketball-related theme.

Topic: Top 10 things I miss about the NBA

Topic: Top 10 things I don't miss about the NBA

Maybe not all good ideas. Okay, maybe only a couple of good ideas. Okay, okay, maybe at least one good idea? I've gotta believe that we have enough people here to come up with some decent topics of discussion. Thanks NYC for bringing this up.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Outside wrote:

...Delta blues and country lyrics competitions for songs about missing the NBA? I could write some awful "NBA lockout blues" lyrics, but I'm sure we have some folks here who aren't missing the musical talent gene...

Outside,

I would think you have several good ideas with the possible exception of the above; at least when it comes to me. I'll try my hand at writing some lyrics, but I don't even sing in the shower for fear of damaging the tile.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:18 pm

NYCelt&Outside
Any thing to do with College hoops is great with me. I have been a big time follower of the college game since the late 40's and remember watching the great CCNY team back in the early 50's when they won both the NCAA and NIT titles. Became a Providence college fan in 1960 and have been with them ever since. I was fortunate to have season tickets during Barns and DiGregorio's great years. Now with the almost certain demise of the Big East as a premier conference, I'm pulling for the Big East Basketball Schools only, to go back in time to the days when it was pretty much a Catholic school schedule for Providence and the other Northeast Catholic schools. I saw some great players( Stith Bros.,Bob Lanier, Cal Murphy) when they played for St. Bonaventure and Niagra. Perhaps it would result in a rebirth for some of these schools if they could go back to some of these old rivalries. However, they lack a big TV audience and its questionable as to how the big networks would view the small market teams.

Just dreaming!
Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Swish,

The Bonnie's and Niagra are both regional teams that draw big interest here in Western NY State. They still have well run programs but don't have the visibility they once did. Bonaventure does seem to make some noise every few years.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

NYCelt and ALL

SOLUTION

When the C's are scheduled to be on NBA TV as a "playoff classic" we all pretend we don't know the outcome and do a game on thread. Esp if is scheduled in the evening.

We can even run a contest (and we should all be able to tie for the win too)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:03 pm

NYCelt wrote:Swish,

The Bonnie's and Niagra are both regional teams that draw big interest here in Western NY State. They still have well run programs but don't have the visibility they once did. Bonaventure does seem to make some noise every few years.

Regards
NYCelt
Do you have any rooting interest in either the Bonnies or Niagra or even Canius ? The "beat" writer for Providence College is very much in favor of the Big East Basketball only schools pulling out and considering, amongst others, Dayton and St. Louis Universities. Ironic that the league is best known for its basketball successes and yet is being ripped apart because its football status has placed it below the ACC. Being anti ACC in nature, will probably serve to lessen my rooting interest in Syacuse, Pittsburg and eventually U Conn when they join the ACC. and face Big East schools. Well, at least for Basketball, its been a great ride with the U Conn. women leading the way.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 pm

beat wrote:NYCelt and ALL

SOLUTION

When the C's are scheduled to be on NBA TV as a "playoff classic" we all pretend we don't know the outcome and do a game on thread. Esp if is scheduled in the evening.

We can even run a contest (and we should all be able to tie for the win too)

beat

Not bad; kind of a "Historic Game On."

I can see posts like "wait 'til you see what's coming right after this block" and "Did Tommy really wear plaid pants like that when he coached in the 70's?"
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Swish,

Canisus doesn't get much ink these days, but it's still a great school.

My own rooting interests are more toward Wisconsin because of my own college days in the Badger State. I also enjoy catching Duke because it's such a well run program and of course Syracuse being that they're the closest major D1 and I grew up watching them.

When it comes to D1 hoop however, I'll watch any game.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm

the thing that sucks for me is i dont have t.v.

now the future mrs hooter rooter has a nice 42incher and i have permission to buy the nba packege and watch EVERY game at her house this yr, but with no season any time soon, thats of no help to me..

i cant even watch my buckeyes play basketball or football (tressel was framed) out here...

at least theres a Hooters.... Smile
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Adopt a college team? I'm going with the 1973 UCLA Bruins.

Speaking of Bruins, the defending Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins start their season tomorrow night so I'm pumped.

I must say, the fact that wealthy owners and wealthy players can't come to an agreement ticks me off. As of now I can't say I'm going to miss the NBA much at all. Of course having the Bruins and Patriots as an alternative makes that easier to say. They are taking a big risk of alienating their fan base.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Matty,

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

If the only way to catch the Buckeyes is to see the game at Hooters where they have all the satellite TV sports packages then you'll just have to tough it out and drag yourself down there. I suppose you should get some wings and beer just to make sure you have nourishment while you're there.

Life can be hard, very hard when we have to force ourselves to go to such great and difficult lengths to catch our teams. Maybe some of the waitresses there would be sort of attractive and somewhat friendly. That might at least help make the whole thing tolerable.

Good luck on this difficult mission...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Bob,

I see a little vintage vinyl from Mick and the boys in your avatar; a fave or some story that goes with it?

Perhaps "You Can't Always Get What You Want" refers to the NBA situation?

My favorite flavor, Cherry Red...

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Mad bull lost its way............... I have this strange ritual of playing Gimme Shelter loud shortly before midnight as I get ready to head upstairs. I've found it's a cue for the dogs who always scramble to the foot of the stairs when they hear it. Then I have trouble falling asleep, no surprise as that song isn't exactly soothing. But I persist.

Just felt like changing up the avatar. I still have this album, though haven't had a turntable in at least 20 years but just can't bring myself to throw it out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:46 am

NYCelt wrote:Matty,

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

If the only way to catch the Buckeyes is to see the game at Hooters where they have all the satellite TV sports packages then you'll just have to tough it out and drag yourself down there. I suppose you should get some wings and beer just to make sure you have nourishment while you're there.

Life can be hard, very hard when we have to force ourselves to go to such great and difficult lengths to catch our teams. Maybe some of the waitresses there would be sort of attractive and somewhat friendly. That might at least help make the whole thing tolerable.

Good luck on this difficult mission...

Regards

bro,, its just sooo, rough.. even the cheesecake is carmel fudge,. dang, what is a man to do?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down