Your Most Competitive All-time Celtics Team

+3
Jerry Tarkanian
beat
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Your Most Competitive All-time Celtics Team Empty Your Most Competitive All-time Celtics Team

Post by Sam Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:51 am

From time to time, we've been asked to list all-time Celtics teams. Best 10 or 12 Celtics, favorite 10 or 12 Celtics, etc. But what has
bothered me (because I believe it's all about the team), is that I don't recall any listing of a Celtics team specifically predicated upon
balance, chemistry and ability to match up with any other team...ever. In short, the most realistically competitive all-time Celtics team.

How about listing 12 Celtics (past or present)—not 11, not 13, but precisely 12—who you feel represent the optimal balance, ability to
match up with anyone, and likely chemistry.

By "balance," I mean this should not be a popularity contest. The objective should be to construct a team that could put a combination
on the floor that could successfully handle virtually any game situation or matchups.

I'm suggesting the following ground rules:

1. You must select exactly two players to represent each of six "positions": PG, SG, SF, PF, C, and 6th man.

2. Each player must have actually played the designated position more than just occasionally for the Celtics. (For instance, no making power forwards out of guys who primarily played center for the Celtics.)

3. A player doesn't have to have been with the Celtics for a long time but should be evaluated on the basis of his best season with the Celtics.) So Maravich probably wouldn't qualify because his best season with the Celtics was okay but not that great.

I'm suggesting the following most competitive team (in parentheses I've noted attributes represented by at least one of the two players in each category):

PG: Cousy, DJ (Ball distribution, could set any pace, scoring, height, defensive mastery)

SG: Sam Jones, Ray Allen (Clutch scoring, speed, perimeter game, floor spacing)

SF: Larry, Pierce (Clutch scoring, passing, perimeter game, all-around abilities, iso capability)

PF: McHale, KG (Size, defensive dominance, points in the paint, inside-out passing expertise)

C: Russell, Cowens (Toughness, Speed, rebounds, defensive dominance, inside and outside scoring, absolute insistence on winning)

6: Havlicek, Max (Instant offense and defense at four positions)

I'm hard-pressed to think of any eventuality this team could not deal with handily. Up-tempo or deliberate pace, halfcourt chemistry, defensive intimidation, points points points, pressing/ballhawking, speed, control/ballhandling, domination of both boards, poise under
pressure/performance in the clutch, you name it. My toughest omissions were Heinsohn, Silas, Parish and Rondo; but I felt Max, DJ, Cowens and Pierce added more versatility. And, from "Climb on my back boys" to a quieter assassin mentality, every single person on this list was/is a leader with a fabulous basketball IQ.

What does your list look like? (Don't be afraid to include old-timers by reputation. Conversely, don't be afraid to limit your selections to players you've personally seen in action.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Your Most Competitive All-time Celtics Team Empty Re: Your Most Competitive All-time Celtics Team

Post by beat Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:16 am

Sam

I'd put Jo Jo in for RA (simply based on time with the C's)
Silas for KG maybe but neither probably had their best statistical year for the C's.

Really hard pressed to improve on your lineup. Would Tiny slip in in front of DJ? KC perhaps?

interesting.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Your Most Competitive All-time Celtics Team Empty Re: Your Most Competitive All-time Celtics Team

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 am

Would go with White, Archibald & Ramsey over Max, RA & DJ.

Also a tough choice between Cowens & Chief.

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 am

Here goes

PG Cousy Rondo
Didn't see Cousys best years,did see him on film and a few games on Classic/NBA TV.Have to give the man his due,was an MVP and multiple first team all NBA,set the mold for the position.Rondo,know its early,but love his athletcism and defense,intangibles,a blur
SG Sam Jones Havlicek
Clutch shooting ability of both and could run all day and night.
SF Bird Pierce
All around scoring,shooting versatility and passing,warrior mentality
PF Cowens McHale Garnett
3 different ways and forces to kill you inside and defend
C Russell Parish Walton

I would pick JoJo White,Perk and Silas as my next 3,rosters are 15,JoJo for his ability to push the ball and spread the floor,Perk and Silas to come in and do some dirty work.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 am

Them some good teams.

Great players and I like the "chemistry".
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 am

I love the vesaltility of my team,I can put Hondo in at SF to further run teams into the ground,I can put Pierce in at SG on defense if I need more size against a Jordan/Kobe type.I can put a young McHale on a Lebron type at SF just like he used to do to Dr J and with my frontline,Bird and any combo of BIGS we will own the glass.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:38 pm

PG-Cousy, DJ
SG-Sam Jones, Ray Allen
SF-Bird-Havlicek
PF-McHale, Silas
C-Russell, Cowens
6th man-Max, Ramsey
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:37 pm

In a 7 game series, there would be some competitive games if this were the competiton.

Russell and Cowens vs. Walton and Parish
Cousy and DJ vs. K.C. and Rondo
Sam Jones and Ray Allen vs. Bill Sharman and Jo Jo
Bird and Pierce vs. Heinsohn and Dominique
McHale and KG vs. Silas and Satch
Havlicek and Max vs. Ramsey and Bailey Howell
Coach Unspecified vs. Red Auerbach

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Spike

other coach would have to be Fitch (or Doc) as the other "coaches" are playing!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down