Outside
bobheckler
beat
RESO
Sam
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Perfect Antidote to a Disappearing Season—Our Hall of Fame Vote Empty The Perfect Antidote to a Disappearing Season—Our Hall of Fame Vote

Post by Sam Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 am

To all members of Sam’s Celtics Forum,

Unfortunately, at a time when we should be immersed in conjecture about the Celtics’ chances in 2011-12, instead we have to content ourselves with the latest rumors about who’s signing in what foreign country And, with Stern's announcement that at least the first two weeks of games are lost to us, it's now a matter of how much enjoyment we lose....not whether we lose any.

Nonetheless, steadfast members of this forum continue to battle against the tide, somehow coming up with innovative topics—basketball and otherwise—for interesting and informative discussion. It would be impossible to convey adequately our appreciation for the posting efforts being displayed daily.

Most of you are aware of the very special charter induction of John “Jeb” Johnson to the board’s new Hall of Fame, making Jeb a trailblazer in board immortality just as he set the tone for posting on the board. We’re now taking the unusual step of a blanket notification of a momentous event in our forum’s history—the first regular election of Hall of Fame members (Class of 2011). And we’re hoping you’ll participate.

The initial step in the regular election involves solicitation of nominees by the board membership. All board members except Sam are eligible. Participation is simple:

By Private Message to Sam or email to SlipSamCelt@aol.com, please nominate up to 10 board members for induction to Sam’s Celtics Forum Hall of Fame. (Nominations may not be made in any other manner than PM or email.)

All board members receiving nominations from at least two people will be included in a list of finalists, with a board-wide vote among the finalists to be held later in October. The five finalists receiving the most votes (minimum of five votes required) will be inducted to the Hall of Fame. Any finalists who are not elected to the HOF this year will automatically be included as finalists in next year’s electoral process.

In addition to the Hall of Fame voting, we are planning on introducing a number of topics designed to invite and hold your interest during this unfortunate lockout. Several topics are already under consideration. If you have suggestions for interesting topics, please notify Sam by Private Message or email (SlipSamCelt@aol.com).

We join all of you in rooting for a resolution to the impasse that is delaying a season which we hope will be filled with promise. And please submit your HOF nominees by PM or email to Sam.

Because of the importance of this endeavor, a separate email blast is carrying this same message to all members.

All to best on behalf of all the administrators.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The Perfect Antidote to a Disappearing Season—Our Hall of Fame Vote Empty Re: The Perfect Antidote to a Disappearing Season—Our Hall of Fame Vote

Post by RESO Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:02 am

Love the positive spin. The voting process should be interesting and fun.
RESO
RESO

Back to top Go down

The Perfect Antidote to a Disappearing Season—Our Hall of Fame Vote Empty Re: The Perfect Antidote to a Disappearing Season—Our Hall of Fame Vote

Post by beat Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:44 am

Sam

I realize that you don't want to be considered for this

But I can't think of anyone else here who's name needs to be there with Jeb's. NO ONE. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE.

Think many will agree that somehow you should be there ALREADY!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RESO Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am

Beat is absolutely correct. :-)
RESO
RESO

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:50 am

Leaving Sam out of this would be like not having something that represents Red hanging from the rafters and only honoring the players who played for him. It's incongruous and short-sighted to the point of comedy.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Bob,

I think Sam is just responding to the logic of the CBA negotiations. Leaving himself out of the voting makes as much sense as two business partners throwing out their product because they can't agree on how to share the profits.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Outside wrote:Bob,

I think Sam is just responding to the logic of the CBA negotiations. Leaving himself out of the voting makes as much sense as two business partners throwing out their product because they can't agree on how to share the profits.

Outside,

What a topsy-turvy world we live in, huh?

We need an "Occupy Sam's Board!" movement. How does one "occupy" a virtual space?

Swept up by the emotion and swiftness of Jeb's passage, we rightfullly focused on what was important, Jeb. The HOF was created and a charter member was appointed (by unanimous acclaim) at breakneck speed, for obvious reasons. The truth is, though, Sam and the rest of the original mods should have been inducted as well. Did the rock-and-roll hall of fame only induct one player/band their first year? Did the baseball HOF induct only one player their first year? Has ANY HOF inducted just one player in their first year?

I appreciate Sam's interest in not appearing to be self-serving. I also think it's political correctness to the point of ludicrosity (I just made that up).

This is premature, I know, but I feel I need to make a Shermanesque statement now, to try to change the flow of events early on rather than at the 11th hour.

If I am so fortunate as to be nominated, I will not run. If I am elected to the HOF, I will not join. Not without Sam. Period. Joining Jeb in the HOF without Sam is like talking about the founding fathers of our country without mentioning George Washington.

This is, literally and figuratively, a sit-in. I hope more of you will join me.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:53 pm

bob

Does Mt Rushmore have only 1 face.

Consider me in on the revolt to overthrow what ever needs to be overthrown.

I can think of no one that would object.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm happy to join in, which makes it either a revolt or a revolting development.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:03 pm

RESO wrote:Beat is absolutely correct. :-)

Reso is absolutely correct. :-)
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RESO Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm

beat wrote:bob

...I can think of no one that would object.

beat

Well, except maybe for Sam ;-) lol Very Happy
RESO
RESO

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Matty wrote:
RESO wrote:Beat is absolutely correct. :-)

Reso is absolutely correct. :-)

Matty is absolutely correct. :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks, everyone. But (1) I feel more than amply recognized every time I log on and see people contributing to a forum with my name (or pseudonym) on it—even during a lockout, for Pete's sake! Seriously, no award could begin to surpass that rush! And (2) it is true that there seems something embarrassingly self-serving about the possibility of becoming a member of one's own Hall of Fame. Moreover, (3) as long as I can be in Sally's personal Hall of Fame, that's good enough for me.

So, as honored and appreciative as I am by all your nice words, I hope you'll focus on other names to begin populating a HOF that is already identified with me.

Thanks for all your kindness.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:36 pm

sam wrote:Thanks, everyone. But (1) I feel more than amply recognized every time I log on and see people contributing to a forum with my name (or pseudonym) on it—even during a lockout, for Pete's sake! Seriously, no award could begin to surpass that rush! And (2) it is true that there seems something embarrassingly self-serving about the possibility of becoming a member of one's own Hall of Fame. Moreover, (3) as long as I can be in Sally's personal Hall of Fame, that's good enough for me.

So, as honored and appreciative as I am by all your nice words, I hope you'll focus on other names to begin populating a HOF that is already identified with me.

Thanks for all your kindness.

Sam

Sam,

I'll be happy to focus on a HOF that includes you.

Do you really think the only reason all these people are clamoring for your induction is just because your name is on the masthead? That stretches the limits of credulity and you are no spacecadet, Sam. Do you not see how people respond to your posts? Do we all come across as nothing but a bunch of simpering fawns? Do I come across as a simpering fawn (you've met me in person)?

Modesty is a wonderful virtue, but there comes a time to humbly accept the inevitable and this is one of those times. Step up, Sam.

C'mon people! Let him hear it!

NO SAM! NO VOTE!
NO SAM! NO VOTE!
NO SAM! NO VOTE!

bob
P.S. I'm in training for my next career as a rabble-rouser and virtual incendiary. This will look good on my resume.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Sam, to not include you is ridiculous. Seriously.

Not including you in Sam's Celtics Forum Hall of Fame is like not including James Naismith in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (and yes, Naismith is in it). How could you possibly have a Hall of Fame for this forum and not include the person who started the forum?

Just accept it and get it over with. Otherwise, you'll be dealing with this every time you have a HOF vote. I guarantee it.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:22 pm

NO SAM, NO VOTE

THERE IS NO FORUM WITHOUT SAM. WE WERE ALL STUCK ON BDC, ARGUING WITH PEOPLE WHO REALLY JUST WANTED TO INSULT CELTIC FANS. SAM IS THE ONE, I KNOW WITH ALOT OF HELP, BUT HE PUT IT OUT THERE WAY BACK WHEN. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU. I KNOW I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE JUST STOPPED TALKING CELTICS IF THE FORUM WASN'T AVAILABLE. JEB WOULD WANT THIS, SAM, JUST GIVE IN AND LET THE REST OF US APPLAUD YOU
FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE.

ROSALIE
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm

sam,

Don't make us have to come after you with torches and pitchforks.

And don't tell us that Rosalie didn't nail this dead-on when she said that Jeb would want this. You know it's true, I know it's true and so does everybody else.

Say you're in because you're a founder. Say you're in as "a plank owner". Say you're in because you want to win the Nobel Peace Prize and accepting this is the only way to head off a war that will cost hundreds of billions in dollars in damages and millions of casualties. Say you changed your mind because a bug ate you and is now wearing a "Sam suit" (see "Men in Black"). I don't care how you do it, but the good ship Sam's Celtic Forum has just kissed an iceberg, and it would be prudent to alter course, preferably sooner rather than later.

Because the icebergs are increasing in number and are gaining momentum.

NO SAM! NO VOTE!
NO SAM! NO VOTE!
NO SAM! NO VOTE!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Sam

For once I can say this and receive TONS of support.

On this matter you are WRONG! Flat out wrong.

Sure there are "others" that assisted this endeavor but the key is they assisted in this with you as the unhearlded leader. Sure it may seem a bit odd being in ones own "hall of fame" but I believe the few of us whom have sounded off on this have made our feelings pretty clear.

And there is one member not here, Jeb, as bobH and Rosalie suggest, whom would be
"madder than a midget with a yoyo." at you about right now.

Jeb would want this for you, we all want this for you, so suck up the humble pie and say yes. There really IS no alternative.

As the coach in the bullpen says to Jimmy Morris prior to his first apperance in the majors, in the movie "The Rookie"....

Morris.....YOUR IN!

Well SAM.............Your In! Like it or not, accept it cause we are not going to accept anything less.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Fine, whatever you all say. Anything to get the focus back where it should be. So far I'm counting 17 or 18 candidates. Let's make certain we don't miss any deserving candidates. Why don't I post a list of the candidates this coming Sunday and then allow another couple of days for any late entries?

Thanks to all who have contributed. And, if you discover you've forgotten anyone, feel free to amend your entries.

And no, Bob. I've never confused you with a fawn. Maybe a 12-point buck, but never a fawn.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:03 pm

beat wrote:Sam

For once I can say this and receive TONS of support.

On this matter you are WRONG! Flat out wrong.

Sure there are "others" that assisted this endeavor but the key is they assisted in this with you as the unhearlded leader. Sure it may seem a bit odd being in ones own "hall of fame" but I believe the few of us whom have sounded off on this have made our feelings pretty clear.

And there is one member not here, Jeb, as bobH and Rosalie suggest, whom would be
"madder than a midget with a yoyo." at you about right now.

Jeb would want this for you, we all want this for you, so suck up the humble pie and say yes. There really IS no alternative.

As the coach in the bullpen says to Jimmy Morris prior to his first apperance in the majors, in the movie "The Rookie"....

Morris.....YOUR IN!

Well SAM.............Your In! Like it or not, accept it cause we are not going to accept anything less.

beat

beat,

"madder than a midget with a yoyo"?

If that's not an actual Jeb-ism, it damn well sounds like one.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:08 pm

sam wrote:Fine, whatever you all say. Anything to get the focus back where it should be. So far I'm counting 17 or 18 candidates. Let's make certain we don't miss any deserving candidates. Why don't I post a list of the candidates this coming Sunday and then allow another couple of days for any late entries?

Thanks to all who have contributed. And, if you discover you've forgotten anyone, feel free to amend your entries.

And no, Bob. I've never confused you with a fawn. Maybe a 12-point buck, but never a fawn.

Sam

sam,

Thanks for seeing the light and letting us get on with our lives. The next step was to use tactical nuclear weapons.

You're right, I'm no fawn. A simpering 12-point buck, though...Hey, wait a second!

I resemble that remark!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Sam

Thank you for giving in. Otherwise it was going to be ugly. Mutany's or a coup d'etat's can get that way.

Bob

Not sure if the Jebster ever said it ............ but I betcha he's "Happier than a itchy pig rubbing against a rail fence" right now!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi All,

i think you are all correct.

I was planning on staying way clear of this discussion until you guys brought Jeb into it, and......I'm pretty sure he would "be all over this like....." (the blank to be filled in by our fond memories.)

My best to every one, and thank you Sam as always.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:17 am

sam wrote:Fine, whatever you all say. Anything to get the focus back where it should be. So far I'm counting 17 or 18 candidates. Let's make certain we don't miss any deserving candidates. Why don't I post a list of the candidates this coming Sunday and then allow another couple of days for any late entries?

Sam

bump
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:04 am

pete wrote:Hi All,

i think you are all correct.

I was planning on staying way clear of this discussion until you guys brought Jeb into it, and......I'm pretty sure he would "be all over this like....." (the blank to be filled in by our fond memories.)

My best to every one, and thank you Sam as always.

Pete

Thank you, Rosalie, for playing the pivot in this discussion. Change happened after your post.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next