Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass - Now official!!

+4
bobheckler
sinus007
tjmakz
gyso
8 posters

Go down

Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass - Now official!! Empty Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass - Now official!!

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass:

The Celtics have apparently decided that Glen Davis’ future is better elsewhere.

According to a league source, the Cs are in discussions with Orlando to send Big Baby, in a sign-and-trade deal, to Orlando for power forward Brandon Bass - a player Magic management had been very high on at one stage.

In addition, the Celtics are pursuing Chris Wilcox, a journeyman big man who played with Detroit last season. The team is also finalizing a trade for Bucks guard Keyon Dooling and a second round draft pick. The Cs will only trade the rights to Albert Morales - a player they have held the rights to for the last five years.

Here's the link:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2011/12/09/celts-in-talks-to-trade-glen-davis-to-orlando/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

PS: I've seen this two places now, The Herald and a Spears tweet, so it must be true!! affraid

Last edited by gyso on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass - Now official!! Empty Re: Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass - Now official!!

Post by tjmakz Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Great move by the Celtics.
Bass doesn't player center like Davis can, but he is a solid player.
Good shooter and rebounder.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass - Now official!! Empty Re: Glen Davis in a sign and trade for Brandon Bass - Now official!!

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Here's what an Orlando blog has to say:

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/12/9/2623753/nba-rumors-celtics-magic-trade-glen-davis-brandon-bass

Win-win?

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 pm

No Pass Bass?

https://twitter.com/#!/erivera7/status/145192584162193409

If he has the ball on offense, he'll likely shoot it. His nickname in Orlando is "no pass Bass."

Not win-win? Maybe same old-same old? confused

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi,
So, Celtics decided to BB instead of BBD.
My understanding he's going to share 4 with KG. I don't think he's tall and/or heavy enough for 5.
Any opinions from people who know his game?
Thanks,
AK

PS Also, how's his defense? And, as always worry about chemistry.

Last edited by sinus007 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added PS)
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:32 pm

So we get a "No Pass" Bass for a "No Diet" Davis?

Bass is a sturdy 4. They say he plays best as an undersized 5, but I'm not sure. I do know that last off-season, before we signed Shaq, I was hoping Danny'd get Brandon Bass from Dallas. Instead, Bass chose Orlando.

Here's Bass' stats and scouting report:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bassbr01.html
http://hoopshype.com/players/brandon_bass.htm

Here's Davis' stats:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisgl01.html

Notable differences:
Assist-to-turnover ratio. Davis is definitely better.
FG%, edge to Bass
R/36mpg, edge to Bass
fouls/36mpg, edge to Bass
offensive rp36mpg-to-defensive rp36mpg, Bass is definitely better on the O-glass.
Slight edge to Bass on ft%.
Playoff (especially championship) experience, big edge to Davis

Notable similarities:
Both can play 4 and undersized 5.
Both are 25 years old.
points/36mpg are close (last season; 15.5 for Bass vs 14.3 for Davis)

Also, Bass played 76 games last season and started in 51. This means his performance came against the other team's starting 4. Davis, coming off the bench, often played against their sub.

I wouldn't be surprised if having one less drama queen on the team wouldn't hurt Rondo's mental toughness neither.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Comments from a blogger. Bloggers are now claiming it's a done deal:

One of Bass’ key strengths is his mid-range game, which is an improvement over the departing Davis. Bass hit 47% of his shots from 16-23 feet last season, while Davis was far more erratic at 35%. Overall, beyond 10 feet, Bass shot 46.1%.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 pm

New Orlando Magic forward Glen Davis getting a four-year deal paying in $26 million range, source tells

From another Spears tweet.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:45 pm

gyso wrote:
New Orlando Magic forward Glen Davis getting a four-year deal paying in $26 million range, source tells

From another Spears tweet.

I'm not up on the new CBA, but how can a player that makes $4M/year, like Bass, be traded straight up for a player that will be making $6.25M/year?

Shouldn't we be getting something/someone else to make the numbers work?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:14 pm

bobh,

Only the first year of salary is matched. Remember the old 125% plus 100K rule for trades? There is a similar rule in this CBA, but I am not sure if the % increased or not. I haven't seen any actual details of the new CBA.

So Glen Davis' first year salary would be designed to fit into this criteria and then he would be given max raises for the duration of the contract.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:41 pm

gyso wrote:bRemember the old 125% plus 100K rule for trades? There is a similar rule in this CBA, but I am not sure if the % increased or not. I haven't seen any actual details of the new CBA.
I believe it's 150% now.

Okay, here's something I found.

Traded Player Exception for non-taxpayers increased to the lesser of 150% of salaries of players being traded or the salaries of players being traded plus $5 million. For trades in which the salaries being traded exceed $20 million in total, the Traded Player Exception for non-taxpayers will be 125% of such salaries plus $100,000.

Traded Player Exception for taxpayers remains at 125% of the salaries of players being traded plus $100,000.

http://basketball.realgm.com/news/wiretap/tags/52/NBA_CBA

I've read it and I'm still not sure what it means.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Outside wrote:
gyso wrote:bRemember the old 125% plus 100K rule for trades? There is a similar rule in this CBA, but I am not sure if the % increased or not. I haven't seen any actual details of the new CBA.
I believe it's 150% now.

Okay, here's something I found.

Traded Player Exception for non-taxpayers increased to the lesser of 150% of salaries of players being traded or the salaries of players being traded plus $5 million. For trades in which the salaries being traded exceed $20 million in total, the Traded Player Exception for non-taxpayers will be 125% of such salaries plus $100,000.

Traded Player Exception for taxpayers remains at 125% of the salaries of players being traded plus $100,000.

http://basketball.realgm.com/news/wiretap/tags/52/NBA_CBA

I've read it and I'm still not sure what it means.

outside and gyso,

If it's 150%, then the $4M Bass makes times 150% is $6M and the rumors are saying $26M over 4 years, or $6.5M/year, for Davis. So that doesn't work.

I don't understand the second half of that sentence. The salaries of the players traded plus $5M? So $4M for Bass + $5M < Davis's $6.5M? That'd be pretty ridiculous to structure it like that, but either way, it says "the lesser of", which would be the $150%.

If we include the entire budgets ($8M for Bass and $26M for Davis for a total of $34M), then the 125% +$100K rule comes into effect and that really blows this deal up.

Clear as mud.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:04 pm

bob,

As I said, only the first year of BBD's new contract counts. You see where his first year salary could be up to $6M. Don't forget raises:

Say he starts at $5.5M, then 6.5, then 7.5 and finally 8.0 in the 4th year. That adds up to more than the $26M, so my numbers are off somewhat, but (I hope) you can now see how it can work.

The results is a very overpaid Glen Davis.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:21 pm

The trade is now official, announcement soon.

Danny Ainge nailed it!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 pm

gyso wrote:The trade is now official, announcement soon.

Danny Ainge nailed it!!!

YES!!!!!!

Bass can board and is tough as nails.

A great move by Danny Ainge.

Thanks, gyso, for all the information above keeping us informed on the trade and explaining the contract details.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Like I said in a different thread, what is Orlando seeing in this?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:24 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:Like I said in a different thread, what is Orlando seeing in this?

Bass has talent but for part of last year he underperformed and lost his starting job.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:57 pm

btw, lost in all this Davis for Bass chatter is that Agent 0 (aka Gilbert Arenas) was waived via the Amnesty Clause by Orlando to be able to make this deal happen.

As I understand the way this works, teams under the cap have first crack at Arenas. They sign him for whatever they want and Orlando still has to pick up the rest. If no team under the cap signs him, then teams over the cap can.

Anybody like to see Gilbert Arenas playing for the veteran's minimum in Boston, replacing Delonte West? (yeah, I know, it's one headcase after another). Probably be some nice chemistry coming off the bench between Arenas and Bass, and that'll be helpful with the shortened season...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:59 pm

I cant see him clearing waivers all the way through.

Some team under the cap will pick him up for cheap, NO could do it as an example.

Rip Hamilton supposedly got bought out though.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:03 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:I cant see him clearing waivers all the way through.

Some team under the cap will pick him up for cheap, NO could do it as an example.

Rip Hamilton supposedly got bought out though.

swede,

rumors are Rip's going to Chicago.

Still, every guard that gets bought out, waived and/or amnestied is one more guard that creates competition for Delonte West. Who knows? Maybe he'll be back after all (Dooling or no Dooling). So far, I'd take Rip or Arenas over West.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:20 pm

This is a pretty even swap.

Some other similarities, Both are from Baton Rouge, LA and both went to LSU

Bass is an all around better offensive player than Davis, He shoots the ball from the field and the line better. He is quicker than Davis. Both are thick but I would give Davis the edge defensively if for no other reason than the number of charges that he takes.

Bass can be a monster in the low post.

Baby can play some 5.

Overall a good fair trade for Boston that is cap friendly. I always line baby and wish him the best. I am glad that he is finally getting some financial security.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:39 pm

It's being reported that Von Wafer is also going to Orlando in the BBD trade and will sign a 3 year contract with them.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 pm

tjmakz wrote:It's being reported that Von Wafer is also going to Orlando in the BBD trade and will sign a 3 year contract with them.

Could it be that Von Wafer is going to New Orleans with JO'N in the David West trade? I don't think you can add any more in Orlando's direction without something coming back.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:37 pm

gyso wrote:
tjmakz wrote:It's being reported that Von Wafer is also going to Orlando in the BBD trade and will sign a 3 year contract with them.

Could it be that Von Wafer is going to New Orleans with JO'N in the David West trade? I don't think you can add any more in Orlando's direction without something coming back.

Never mind, there is something coming back from Orlando, a traded-player exception:

Alex Kennedy – 12/09/2011 10:02pm EST

There’s a new addition to the sign-and-trade between the Orlando Magic and Boston Celtics. Not only will the Magic swap Brandon Bass for Glen Davis, they’ll also receive Von Wafer in the deal. Wafer was an unrestricted free agent, but Orlando had him added to the deal in exchange for the $1.84 million traded-player exception they acquired last season from the Washington Wizards.

Wafer will sign a three-year deal with the Magic, but the final two years won’t be guaranteed. Last year, the 26-year-old played 58 games with the Celtics. He received interest from a number of other teams before landing with Orlando.

Last year, Wafer averaged 3.2 points in a limited role with the Celtics. During the lockout, Wafer was one of the most productive players overseas as he averaged a league-leading 19.9 points with the Italian team Vanoli Cremona.

It has been a busy day for Magic general manager Otis Smith. After completing the trade with Boston, Smith used the amnesty clause on Gilbert Arenas. Now, Orlando continues to search for ways to improve their roster so that they can appease Dwight Howard and surround him with talent.

Link:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2011-nba-free-agency-diary/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down