gyso
Matty
steve3344
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wow.  David West now newest Celtic Empty Wow. David West now newest Celtic

Post by steve3344 Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:31 am

For about five minutes, Chris Wilcox was the newest Celtic. Now it's David West. Bye-bye Jermaine:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuPq.oJ6OZQTHwjUKZtCu5iwPKB4?slug=ycn-10645505

Who starts at PF? West or KG? Did West come here to come off the bench? Would a Western Conference All-Star who can give you 20 and 8 be happy doing that even though this article seems to imply that? Can't see KG playing many minutes at center at his age now. Was counting on a healthy JON to give us 20-24 minutes at center. Who gives us that now? Chris Wilcox? Who else? Inexperienced Greg Stiemsma? Jujuan Johnson's not a center but could probably play there for a few minutes in an emergency. Bass would obviously be playing out of position and be overmatched by most 5's. Clearly more shuffling of roster to come.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Wow.  David West now newest Celtic Empty Re: Wow. David West now newest Celtic

Post by Matty Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:29 am

ive wondered this myself since i heard yesterday.. (xcept for the 4 hrs i wasted sleeping) i have multiple conspiracy theories that provide answers. my favorite one actaauly suggested West wouldnt stay long a Celtic as he'd be a part of a deal for a team that is close, but not that close to south beach..

since its 5 17 am here and im dang tired and prolly only 1/32 awake i';ll go ahead and say it..

david west + Dooling + jeff green+ multiple firsts = dwight howard?

i dunno why, maybe cuz im so sleepy, but i just get this feeling delonte is going to figgure into out season in some very important way..

if my theory is correct, he'd still be able to be obtained and be coming off the bench playing both guard spots..

it also explains how a (much better version of ) marquis Daniels could be used- backing up PP at the 3..

it also explains why we have a glut of guys able to play the 4- KG, Wilcox, Bass, David West, jujouan Johnson, but only 1 real 5, Steimsman (who if Docs past history reveals anything, will see very few minutes unless he is Bill Russel in disguise after taking a top secret Youth Serium)..

it'd also be not unlike the year that Danny once before traded Jeff Green..

this would be the part i love the most... imagine drafting as player who u trade for ray allen, which allows you to trade for KG, who later on u r-aquire only to turn around and use to trade for dwight Howard..

how Auerbachismly is that??

this needs to happen.. on or before december 18th.. but just not before 5 pm cuz then i will be to excited to be bothered to get married that day.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:06 am

Center by committee. Many of the teams will be sporting similar undersized centers, so it will probably work out fine.

Wilcox and West will get the most time, Bass may see some time and JJJ and Stiemsma will be situational (if they can stay out of Doc's doghouse).

I am sorry to see Jermaine go. I coveted him as a Celtic for years and now it seem to be too little, too late.

I cannot imagine that there will be very much else for Danny to do, perhaps use the mini-MLE for another true 5 and pick up another SG, like Delonte or Rip, for the minimum.

Yesterday was wicked fun, watching the tweets on the Yahoo! page and seeing them actually pan out!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:42 am

Shouldnt Rip rather want to play with the Celtics than the Bulls if one does not consider minutes since Rondo is more "pass first" compared to Rose?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 am

Hang on folks.

As of Saturday, 10 a.m. eastern, this is not a done deal.

Several reports including ESPN and NBATV say it's still close but there are some snags. O'Neal is said to want no part of New Orleans.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:39 am

Hi,
This is a great acquisition. But, as others suggested, there're 2 questions: a) who's going to be at 5 and, b) how 4 share 4?
First, when I heard about West I thought that the rebuilding's already in progress but then I looked - he's 31 y/o
The only explanation I have, at the moment, is something else is in the oven.
As for the trend of playing PF at C, it's nice but if you have legit 5 who can bang and score - you're king of the hill, er.., paint, that is.
Well, at least everybody's excited.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Keerist! A guy can't even lay his head down on a pillow for a few hours without all hell breaking loose.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:06 pm

bobheckler wrote:Keerist! A guy can't even lay his head down on a pillow for a few hours without all hell breaking loose.

bob

this is making up for a boring summer...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:06 pm

According to Adrian W, of Yahoo Sports, the deal is now Jermaine O'Neal and Sasha Pavlovic for Mark West.

Wow. If that's the final deal, that's amazing. West is an all-star and Jermaine is on his last legs and Sasha isn't even with the team anymore.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:51 pm

If true, it's yet another non-Celtic that Danny has turned into a trading chip.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Mr. Stern,

The rumored trade of David West to the Celtics for Jermaine O'Neal and Sasha Pavlovic makes tremendous basketball sense for your NBA Hornets.

Smile
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:20 pm

tjmakz wrote:Mr. Stern,

The rumored trade of David West to the Celtics for Jermaine O'Neal and Sasha Pavlovic makes tremendous basketball sense for your NBA Hornets.

Smile

TJ,

It does if JON is traded for another player. Right now, they are getting nothing for West.

Still, it's an odd one. Like I said, if this is the final deal, Wow!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Getting David West would continue strong run of moves for Celtics, SI.com

Wow, would this be a good move for Boston, which has already done a fantastic job filling its bench despite a near total lack of cap flexibility. As I’ve mentioned before, Boston’s primary issue over the last two seasons has been a decline in its offense, which ranked below the league’s average last season in points per possession. It’s almost impossible to win a title with a below-average offense.

West helps in so many ways. He’s one of the league’s deadliest mid-range shooters, and the Celtics’ ideal is to surround Rajon Rondo, one of the league’s least-deadly jump shooters but one of its best creators, with four players who can fill it up from 20 feet and out. A lineup of Rondo, West, Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen would be scary in that regard. It’d be a major upgrade, in terms of scoring, from lineups that featured Boston’s core four with Kendrick Perkins (a nonentity on offense) or Davis (an inconsistent jump shooter).

Having West and Garnett as dueling pick-and-pop threats is also great for Rondo. Because defenders almost always go under screens on Rondo pick-and-rolls, daring him to shoot, Boston often has to run two pick-and-rolls in a row in order to get the All-Star point guard closer to the paint and see if any holes open up. The Celtics can do that by having Garnett set consecutive screens, but adding West opens up more options, including having two elite jump shooters set screens on either side of Rondo. More holes will emerge this way.

West is also an underrated post-up threat, something Boston lacks on a night-to-night basis. West ranked 50th among all players last season in points per possession in post-up chances — ahead of Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol and other elite interior scorers — and New Orleans was often happy clearing out for him on the block and running cutters around him, Karl Malone-style. West can face up and shoot, drive to the paint with both hands for hooks and flip shoots, and he’s a genius at using his body to create space.

West isn’t an elite defender, but he’s smart about angles and positioning and works well in a team context. He doesn’t have the quickest feet, so big guys who can work off the dribble can hurt him, and he’ll have trouble now and then closing out on a shooter if he has to go a long distance to do it. But he’s stout in the post, and he has proved he can function nicely in a strong system. Few teams have stronger defensive systems than Boston.

Another side benefit: Adding all of these power forwards means that Boston can play Jeff Green — who has agreed to return on a one-year deal — mostly at small forward, where he has historically been much better than at power forward. And adding West for around $9 million per year should still give Boston enough room to make a maximum-level offer on the free-agent market next summer.

If the deal gets finalized, it’s a great move for these ring-chasing geezers. The Celtics have done wonderfully in adding Bass, Marquis Daniels (a valuable wing backup who can spell both Allen and Pierce) and Wilcox (fine for 10 minutes per game), and they still have the mini mid-level exception. They didn’t get Paul (yet?), but this team can push Miami and Chicago if all goes right. That’s a big “if,” but that’s life when most of your core players are in their mid-30s.

Here's the link:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/12/10/getting-david-west-would-continue-strong-run-of-moves-for-celtics/

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:50 am

According to Adrian W (a very busy man lately), the deal now includes JJJ and E'Taun with JON.

Hmmm. Considering we have Bass and Green and no 5's other than JON and unknown Stiesma, do we really want to give up JJJ? He's the heir apparent to KG as defensive funnel.

Another rumor is that Larry Bird, of the Pacers, is going to snatch David West instead.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 pm

I was just reading some reports that if the deal with Boston doesn't happen today NO will attempt to re-sign West.

If it means parting with Johnson, I think we should forget West. I would keep the young guy who was the NCAA Defensive Player of the Year, has drawn comparisons to KG and costs less over the 31 year old coming off an ACL injury.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:58 pm

West isn't coming East!! Sad

WojYahooNBA:

David West has agreed to a 2 year, $20 million deal with Pacers, league source tells Y. [via Twitter]

Oh, Yeah!!! We get to keep JJJ!!! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 pm

gyso wrote:West isn't coming East!! Sad

WojYahooNBA:

David West has agreed to a 2 year, $20 million deal with Pacers, league source tells Y. [via Twitter]

Apparently the sticking point was that Boston couldn't find a taker for JON.

Oh well. I'm ok with this. We've got Bass, Wilcox, Green, JON, JJJ and KG. That's half the team in 4/5 and I'm interested in seeing what JJJ has to offer.

Still amazing what Danny has done with virtually no money and not willing to trade any of the Core 4 (except to get Paul).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Bob I agree. If JON is healthy along with the additons of Bass and Wilcox we should be fine.

I think we couild still use a bu 2. Would like to see Boston bring back Delonte West

Jon/Wilcox/KG/Greg Stiemsma
KG/Bass/JJJ/Wicox
PP/Green/Daniels
RA/??????
RR/Dooling/Bradley

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

More Tweets about West:

WojYahooNBA:

Celtics simply couldn't make 3 way deal with Hornets and Jermaine O'Neal contract. [via Twitter]

WojYahooNBA:

Celtics no longer have to wait to sign two rookies from Purdue -- Moore and Johnson. They could've been in sign and trade to Hornets. [via Twitter]

WojYahooNBA:

Great signing for Larry Bird, who has a deep, versatile frontline and huge grown up presence for locker room. West's a total pro and winner. [via Twitter]

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Here's another tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski:

WojYahooNBA:

To be accurate, Boston had a sign-and-trade with New Orleans for David West ready to do. West wanted more money annually, took Pacers offer. [via Twitter]

It always about the money and not so much about the ring. David West, good luck with that!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:14 pm

And another "I just want to go to a winner" falls by the wayside.

Good by me too; I'd rather have Johnson.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi,
I guess, currently, DA has mini-MLE to get a backup for RA. I wonder who's available?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:13 pm

I know you're not happy that he didn't sign here, but one consideration is how much playing time he'd get. He's yet another power forward, and unlike Bass and Wilcox, totally unsuitable to spending any time at center. This is a guy who, although he's coming off knee surgery, is a two-time all star at the peak of his career.

It would've been a great acquisition for Boston, but I'm not sure how good it would've been for West. Not only would he not start, he'd have to share Garnett's leftover minutes with at least one other guy.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Does anyone know what condition JON is in?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 pm

dboss wrote:Does anyone know what condition JON is in?

I heard he's able to stand up and walk around the house.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next