Major health concern for Jeff Green/Thoughts on Green, Celtics

5 posters

Go down

Major health concern for Jeff Green/Thoughts on Green, Celtics Empty Major health concern for Jeff Green/Thoughts on Green, Celtics

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:46 am

By Steve Bulpett / Celtics Notebook
Friday, December 16, 2011

The Celtics [team stats] were still largely quiet about Jeff Green’s situation yesterday, but portions of the story are beginning to emerge from his camp.

Green has been held out of practices since problems showed up on his physical last week. The 25-year-old has said the trouble was detected during a stress test, which would likely indicate a heart issue, but he has not expanded on the matter and declined comment yesterday as he shot around before the team’s workout.

According to sources close to Green, his health is expected to be fine in the long run, but there is a question now as to how long it will take to get him there. The Celtics are said to be concerned on both fronts.

Physicians are still dealing with test results, and it will be determined whether Green needs to undergo a procedure or if his condition can be controlled with medication.

“He’s out still,” coach Doc Rivers said before yesterday’s practice. “(He) hasn’t passed the physical yet and, you know, it’s tough.”

Rivers said he’s already dealing with the possibility that Green won’t be able to play at the start of the regular season on Christmas.

“Yeah, I mean, usually you’ve passed your physical by now,” he said. “I’ll give you guys more (today), but I’ve been around long enough to know if you haven’t passed your physical yet then there’s something going on.”

General manager Danny Ainge also put off any pronouncements.

“We’ll know more about Jeff tomorrow,” he said yesterday. “It’s completing all tests and results. We should know by tomorrow afternoon — everything. So we’ll wait until then to give you guys all that information.”

Ainge acknowledged that some if not all of the results are known, but when asked if they are good or bad, he said, “It’s all based on perspective.

“But I really don’t want to talk about that. It’s not fair for me to share Jeff’s information with you right now, so we’ll wait ’til tomorrow.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thoughts on Green, Celtics
December, 15, 2011

By Chris Forsberg

Celtics forward Jeff Green at work last season.
BOSTON -- Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers stressed that we'll find out more about Jeff Green's mystery health ailment on Friday and, while it's dangerous to speculate, a couple thoughts as we await further clarity from the team and player:

* The Celtics were confident enough in Green's health to formally announce his signing on Saturday, but a day later Boston agreed to a one-year, fully-guaranteed minimum deal with Sasha Pavlovic. To some, it was a head-scratcher considering Pavlovic's struggles here last season and the fact that Boston already had two-deep depth behind Paul Pierce on the wing in Green and Marquis Daniels (and with seemingly more pressing needs at shooting guard and center). If Green is to be sidelined for any prolonged period of time, it's clear the Celtics needed more depth, especially given Daniels' own injury history.

* Regardless of the severity of the ailment, you can't help but feel bad for Green. Rivers noted this week how Green flew into town early in order to hit the ground running at training camp -- especially after being thrust into the fire when he was acquired at the February trade deadline. "One of the reasons he came in the day before [camp started last week], the one thing he wanted to do was start early and not fall behind," said Rivers. "Because he felt like that really hurt him when he was traded. So, obviously you can image he’s a little frustrated."

* It's hard to blame Ainge given the seemingly freak nature of this scare, but Boston's general manager will hear even more groans from the hindsight crowd if Green is missing in action to start the season. In dealing away Kendrick Perkins (and Nate Robinson) at February's trade deadline, the Celtics acquired Green, Nenad Krstic, and a future first-round draft pick (top 10 protected and originally property of the Los Angeles Clippers) from Oklahoma City. Krstic bolted overseas during the lockout and that first-round pick's value has potential to dip if the Clippers improve with the recent addition of Chris Paul to a young core.

* There's been a lot of questions in the Mailbag and Twitter about whether Green's contract would be voided if he's simply unable to pass his physical moving forward. It's probably prudent to see what the team announces Friday before even considering that path. One thing to note, even by theoretically removing his $9 million from the Celtics' current cap, the team is still over the luxury tax threshold (let alone the salary cap) and would still be limited to mere minimum contracts to fill out its roster.

* More than anything, let's remember that we're talking about a person's livelihood here. Hopefully the news tomorrow reveals only a minor concern, but let's also maintain perspective that health is paramount to anything related to wins and losses on the basketball court.

Back to top Go down

Major health concern for Jeff Green/Thoughts on Green, Celtics Empty Re: Major health concern for Jeff Green/Thoughts on Green, Celtics

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 am

Looks like we'll be seeing lots of minutes for Sasha and Daniels in the early going.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Major health concern for Jeff Green/Thoughts on Green, Celtics Empty Re: Major health concern for Jeff Green/Thoughts on Green, Celtics

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 am

NY

I am on pins and needles waiting for news. It's too bad if it is bad news as Danny may have been in a position earlier to swing a better deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 am

LATEST FROM WEEI 850 BOSTON - Talk Radio

Jeff Green is visiting with doctors again in Boston today along with Danny Ainge. Sources are saying he has heart problems and would live a normal life - however basketball?

Celtics say they will talk later in the day with media.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am

112288 wrote:LATEST FROM WEEI 850 BOSTON - Talk Radio

Jeff Green is visiting with doctors again in Boston today along with Danny Ainge. Sources are saying he has heart problems and would live a normal life - however basketball?

Celtics say they will talk later in the day with media.

Visiting along with Ainge?

Why does that not sound good?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Green did have this to say to ESPN yesterday...

"I'm all good," ... "People are spreading rumors, trying to assume that I'm some kind of way but I'm fine."

Let's hope so.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Looks like Good Bye to Jeff Green to me. It's better than having him play and wind up like Reggie Lewis. Jeff should find another line of work, or go back and get his degree from Georgetown. I for one, disagreed with the trade to bring him to Boston and sent Perk to OKC. It has had ill-effects both short and long term for Boston, even to the extent Ainge offered Rondo and Green back to OKC after last season for Perk & Westbrook. I know Ainge couldn't have known of Green's physical heart issues at the time of the swap. However, I wonder if OKC knew about the issue and did not want it revealed to Boston.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:07 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:Looks like Good Bye to Jeff Green to me.

Rolling Eyes
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 pm

I agree with md about the perk trade but green is a Celtic so I am only concerned about his health.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Rivers: Green saw new docs on ailment
December, 16, 2011

12:30 PM ET
By Tom Lakin
BOSTON -- After a brief shootaround at TD Garden on Friday morning, Celtics coach Doc Rivers revealed that swingman Jeff Green had consulted new doctors about the mysterious ailment that has thus far prevented him from passing a physical and participating fully in training camp.

“[Celtics president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] and Jeff went to see another set of doctors,” Rivers said, “and we’ll find out [more about Green’s condition] hopefully by tonight.”

Asked whether the new doctors were local or from elsewhere, Rivers responded, “Elsewhere,” but would not elaborate further.

“They’re in an undisclosed location,” he said, joking. “In Mexico.”

The Celtics hope to have their $9 million man in time for the start of the regular season, but if not, Rivers admitted Green’s absence would complicate things.

“That would make things more difficult, there’s no doubt,” Rivers said. “But we have enough players. That’s why we have Sasha [Pavlovic] and Marquis [Daniels] in here, to play the three. What it would take away from us is going small. You gameplan all summer about the small lineup we’re gonna run with Kevin [Garnett] and Jeff, and then if he [can’t play], that’s gone. That’s a month of work you have to throw away.”

But, Rivers added, it’s just basketball. Some things, like health, are more important than the game.

“It’s life, you know,” Rivers said. “So let’s just hope he’s good.”

The Celtics will hold an intrasquad scrimmage, open to season ticket holders, later tonight. Rivers said he hopes to have more information then.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:58 am

Rivers Grim on Green situation

By Gary Washburn, Globe staff

The Celtics said they will officially release the results of Jeff Green's extensive health test tomorrow, but coach Doc Rivers strongly hinted last night after the team's open scrimmage at TD Garden that the news was not good.

Green is expected to miss extensive time with an undisclosed medical condition that may require surgery, and Rivers didn't appear hopeful that Green would return soon.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:49 am

Could be heart valve problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down