Jeff Green is now an UNrestricted free agent

5 posters

Go down

Jeff Green is now an UNrestricted free agent Empty Jeff Green is now an UNrestricted free agent

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:41 pm

This isn't really news anymore, it's been out there for a few days now, but Danny voided the offer sheet to Green making him unrestricted.

Green's agent, David Falk, called it a nice Christmas gift. Hmm.

So, he's off the books for next year too. That's the good news. The bad news is now that we gave up Perk and Nate for nobody. I realize Danny nor anybody else could have expected Green's medical condition (thank God he caught it when he did) or that Krstic would sign a no-out contract with Moscow for two years, nevertheless that's where we're at.

btw, Nate is now with GSW and played against the Lakers in place of the injured Steven Curry and Perk's performance, /36mpg, are down from his career averages except for free throws. He's shooting 79% from the line this year. Hear that Rajon? Old Hands-of-Stone Perkins can shoot free throws.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jeff Green is now an UNrestricted free agent Empty Re: Jeff Green is now an UNrestricted free agent

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:21 am

Celtics will still be able to pay Green more than anyone else - so I think it is more of a formality than anything else.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Jeff Green is now an UNrestricted free agent Empty Re: Jeff Green is now an UNrestricted free agent

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:55 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Celtics will still be able to pay Green more than anyone else - so I think it is more of a formality than anything else.

kleen,

Boston doesn't have any "Bird Rights" with Jeff Green so they will be able to sign him to a contract which is the same as the other 29 teams.
(Obviously teams under the cap could sign him to a larger contract.)
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 am

The bottom line is that should Green want to return to the Celts, and the Celts in return want him, the Celts are in a very favorable financial position to make it happen.
Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:48 pm

tjmakz wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:Celtics will still be able to pay Green more than anyone else - so I think it is more of a formality than anything else.

kleen,

Boston doesn't have any "Bird Rights" with Jeff Green so they will be able to sign him to a contract which is the same as the other 29 teams.
(Obviously teams under the cap could sign him to a larger contract.)

tj,

I believe the Celtics do have Bird Rights on Jeff Green. Two things in this article indicate this:

Then again, Green's NBA future, at present, is murky. And the change in his free-agent status puts Green in the same contractual position he would have been in had he been able to play out this season. Both sides knew that not only would Green be an unrestricted free agent next summer by taking the one-year offer, they also knew he could not be traded without his permission.

Also, the Celtics will still be able to offer Green a longer, more lucrative deal than any other team, either to re-sign him or sign him as part of a sign-and-trade deal, which is what they did last month with Glen Davis.

The rule is that if a player with Bird Rights is on a one year contract, he cannot be traded without his permission. Also, the reason that the Celtics will still be able to offer Green a longer, more lucrative deal than any other team is because the Celtics have his Bird Rights.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7433745/boston-celtics-withdrew-qualifying-offer-jeff-green-now-ufa?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 pm

gyso,

Since Green plauyed for Boston for less then 1 year, I didn't think they had Bird Rights on him. I very well could be and am probably wrong. Below are the requirement to achieve "Bird Rights".

Larry Bird ExceptionTo qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent.

Early Bird ExceptionThis is the lesser form of the Larry Bird Exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents," and qualify after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 pm

gyso,

In re-reading this, he did change teams, but not as a free agent, so his Bird Rights passed to the Celtics.

I stand corrected.
Thanks.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks for the clarification GYSO
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down