Rivers: Green's surgery 'went great'

Go down

Rivers: Green's surgery 'went great' Empty Rivers: Green's surgery 'went great'

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 pm

January 9, 2012, 3:58 pm SHARE THIS POST

According to Doc Rivers, Jeff Green's heart surgery was a success.

CELTICS REPORT: MONDAY, JANUARY 9

CSNNE.com STAFF REPORT

Jeff Green underwent heart surgery to repair an aneurysm on Monday. Doc Rivers heard that it was successful.

"They're saying it went great," said the Celtics' head coach. "Obviously, our thoughts, our prayers, and every part of our being is with Jeff right now."

Rivers said that he now wants to hear that Green will be able to play again.

"That would be terrific. I don't care if it's with us. I want it to be with us. [But] I just want him [to play again].

Green will be an unrestricted free agent if and when he returns because the Celtics withdrew the qualifying offer that would have bound him to the team.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

JEFF GREEN ANEURYSM SURGERY 'WENT GREAT'
By: Mike Petraglia

WALTHAM -- Jeff Green had successful surgery Monday at the Cleveland Clinic to repair an aeortic aneurysm, discovered by the Celtics medical staff during a routine entrance physical in December. Head coach Doc Rivers got the news following practice on Monday from team president Danny Ainge.

"Surgery went well," Rivers announced to the media following practice. "They're saying it went great. Obviously, our thoughts, our prayers and every part of our being is with Jeff right now."

Green was acquired in a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder at the trade deadline last season that sent center Kendrick Perkins to the Thunder. Green figured to be a key player for the Celtics this season, as the first man off the bench but those plans were put on hold when he was held out of camp after the aneurysm was detected.

"The second [bit of] news we want to hear is that he'll be able to play again," Rivers said. "That would be terrific. I don't care if it's with us. I want it to be with us, obviously. I just want him to be able to fulfill his life. Really, at the end of the day, that's what we want."

The 25-year-old product of Georgetown has averaged 13.9 and 5.6 rebounds a game in four previous seasons with the Sonics/Thunder and Celtics.

For more, visit the Celtics team page at weei.com/celtics and the Green Street blog.

Back to top Go down