Aren't you glad this wasn't done in Green?

+4
Outside
mrkleen09
beat
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Aren't you glad this wasn't done in Green? Empty Aren't you glad this wasn't done in Green?

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:31 pm

There has been a lot of talk about the immaturity of the Celtic bench last year. Well, this happened last night. Big Baby tries to defend a lob pass to Richard Jefferson (poorly, at that) and receives a technical foul for how he expresses his displeasure to the ref afterwards. The offense can be seen in the upper right hand corner of the screen at the :07 second spot. It's only visible for a fraction of a second as the camera cuts away to a replay of the lob.

Loving Brandon Bass more everyday...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Aren't you glad this wasn't done in Green? Empty Re: Aren't you glad this wasn't done in Green?

Post by beat Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Bob

Interesting

First right before as you say it cuts away Baby pulls his shorts down, gotta look quick but all you see is black under whatever.

For that he should be T'd up.

Going back to the play itself, I've watched and watched and watched and really are having a tought time seeing any foul period. Doesn't appear to be body contact and nothing up on the arms. So I can see being a bit pissed at the call BUT the way you handle pissed is not walking up to the ref and dropping your shorts.

I find it more amazing that somehow the friggin ball went in.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Aren't you glad this wasn't done in Green? Empty Re: Aren't you glad this wasn't done in Green?

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm

It was not a foul on Davis....and in fact, should have been goaltending on Jefferson...he clearly pulled the rim down and then the ball went in.

So TWO bad calls by the ref, compounded by a technical call.

This is a perfect example of POOR officiating in the NBA. Guy blows a foul call, misses a goaltend and then instead of understanding why the player might be a bit upset - acts like he (as the ref) is beyond reproach and calls a T.

What a joke.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:09 pm

mrkleen

Watching at regular speed the grab happens very quickly so I can see the ref missing the possible goaltending.

What I question is the ANGLE he is watching the play from gives him a very good view of the space between Davis and Jefferson. Wish I could see wether he called body contact or arm contact. But either way it was not a foul, as far as I can see.

And I can see lots of players reacting to the point of getting T'd up. Just don't think too many would drop their shorts. A player on the Orlando bench can be seen with a sh-it eating grin a few moments later.

And I wonder if there was anything that happened PRIOR to this against Davis that was called wrong or poorly by this officiating crew leading to the situation we see.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:24 pm

yeah, I agree that pulling down your pants is a technical in any league from YMCA to NBA.....I just find this a recurring theme with NBA refs. Like they are beyond criticism....even though the miss a lot of calls, all the time.

1 hour after that no hitter blown call - the MLB umpire who screwed it up, publicly apologized for his mistake. That didnt change the record books - but at least he admitted his fallibility.

NBA refs - forget it. If Joey Crawford challenging Tim Duncan to a fight didnt get him an early retirement package, nothing will get these guys to admit culpability.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Mrkleen

not only was it a no hitter

it was a PERFECT GAME!! cept it wasn't

beat

Last edited by beat on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm

As much as we'd like refs to make better calls, having calls go against you is part of the game. In 99% of cases, players need to shut up and keep playing. Drawing a tech just hurts your team. Davis got the tech in the 3rd quarter, and you can't say that this one point cost them the game, but this was a game Orlando lost in overtime. Every point counts, and so does every stupid mistake.

Bob, I think your point about the immaturity of last year's bench vs. this year's is well taken. You haven't seen this kind of nonsense this year, and the overall attitude and demeanor of the bench players is likely to be a crucial factor in any success this team ultimately has.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Outside wrote:As much as we'd like refs to make better calls, having calls go against you is part of the game. In 99% of cases, players need to shut up and keep playing. Drawing a tech just hurts your team. Davis got the tech in the 3rd quarter, and you can't say that this one point cost them the game, but this was a game Orlando lost in overtime. Every point counts, and so does every stupid mistake.

Bob, I think your point about the immaturity of last year's bench vs. this year's is well taken. You haven't seen this kind of nonsense this year, and the overall attitude and demeanor of the bench players is likely to be a crucial factor in any success this team ultimately has.

Outside

Agree just shut up and play,
and when you are getting totally hosed keep playing.......but there needs to be some ability to question an official about a call, and yes you should fully be in proper uniform attire when doing so.

Sounds good in theory......

Seen too many great plays lost due to poor officiating but it is an aspect of all sports. And I do think most officials really try to get the call correct some are just not that good at it.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 pm

I was watching the game live and I thought there was a foul on Davis.
It wasn't until I saw the replay that I could see that he didn't foul him.
I don't think the announcers realized what Davis did with his shorts because they never mentioned it on the broadcast.

NBA refeering is a very hard job.
It is easy to miss calls.
At least they have access to reviewing the plays in the last 2 minutes of the game. That is a step in the right direction.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Except I never understood why the last 2 minutes supposedly are more important than the other 46 minutes.

Same goes for "there is never a foul called on the last shot".
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

I pretty much agree with all the posts so far.

The referreeing did suck. There was no foul on Baby. Jefferson did hang on the rim, which should have been a T the other way.

And pulling your pants down is a T everywhere except in early pre-school.

He's shooting 37.7% from the field this year. His minutes are down to 22.6mpg from a career high 29.5mpg last year. And he moved to Orlando so he could be recognized for the talent he was and not always be in KG's shadow? So, Glen, how'd that work out for you?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 pm

bob,

Glen could give you 27.5m reasons why going to Orlando has worked out well for him. Plus, they are winning. He will shoot and play better then he has so far this year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Outside, I agree with your take that referees are part of the game. It's really as simple as that. Officials have always been fair game since the first baseball fan implored the rest of the crowd to "Kill the umpire." And nowadays fans have all sorts of available replays with which to dissect for days officials' calls that had to be made in a millisecond.

Personally, as everyone knows, I refrain from complaining about officiating based on what I call the "Red Auerbach Theory." Red was a notorious ref baiter during games in order to try to gain an edge. But, when all was said and done, his feeling was that a team should never let the game get close enough for one or two calls to make the difference.

Here's to Red. And, at the same time, here's to everyone's right to offer opinions.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:08 am

I'm with Bob on this one.

That is one image we would not need to carry in Celtic history.

Rondo's elbow injury and Bird's face-plant were less disturbing.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down