Could Paul Pierce be the Last Great "Pure Celtic"?

2 posters

Go down

Could Paul Pierce be the Last Great "Pure Celtic"? Empty Could Paul Pierce be the Last Great "Pure Celtic"?

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Tonight, Paul Pierce will pass Larry Bird to become second on the all time scoring list behind only John Havlicek. He has played his whole career as a Celtic to accomplished this. I describe him as a "Pure Celtic". That got me thinking, could he be the last of the "Pure Celtics", or better yet the last to accomplish this feat after caming to the Celtics via a trade and scoring in a Celtic uniform to accomplish passing Larry Bird, eventually Pierce and Havlicek? The answer I think is YES, PAUL PIERCE IS THE LAST, PURE CELTIC OR NOT!

Here is my reasoning that this feat will never be accomplished unless a fluke occurs.

1) The Celtics' management are a very competitive bunch of hedge fund guys who hate to lose not only in trading securities but on the basketball court as well. If they can improve the Celtics, they will spend the money and therefore will attract top talent to the Celtics. They have found the right business model and will stick with it. This model will insure that: 1) they remain a top NBA Team and 2) the value of the Celtic franchise will remain high in the future. This insures ownership that revenue will remain high with a competitive team through increased ticket and merchandise sales, Cable Contracts and Advertising. This all equates out to maintaining or increasing the valuation of the franchise for them. It means a winning team to the fans.

Even if Wyc sells the team, a future owner who will pay in excess of $500million will adapt this winning business model and continue with it, therefore insuring continued success and protection of the value of their asset (The Celtic Franchise).

2) #1 leads to #2.

I do not see the Celtics picking in the top 5 or 10 in the NBA College Drafts any time in the foreseeable future. With the Celtics continued success based on managements business model and Danny Ainge, we will always be selecting below the 15th pick. Highly unusual to find the likes of a Pierce or a Bird at that level unless it is a total fluke and the whole NBA scouting system is wrong.

Now we come to Mr. Ainge.

Danny Ainge is one of the best General Managers in the league. He is relatively young guy and I see him closing out his career a Celtic. I see another 15+ years for him in his current role, barring any health related issues. Therefore, he too has found the right winning formula for success. I highly doubt that he will go back to "Pre 2007 - 2008" and build his team through the draft. We all saw the results of that strategy. I think it will be through getting top free agents, rotating his roster each year through trading a top player here or there for younger top players like Green in the Perk trade, and getting some mid first round draft picks. I do not see the Celtics picking the pockets of other teams by getting a lottery pick. NBA GM's are too smart and have learned the old Red Auerback fleece method well!

As for Doc.

He is here for the next 4 years and perhaps beyond and he is one of the top 3 coaches in the league. He will keep the Celtics very competitive for sure, again insuring a low draft pick. Even if Doc moves on, Danny has an astute eye for talent and coaching and he will not bring in some stiff to coach the Celtics. It will be a highly qualified guy who will adhere to playing "Celtic Basketball".

3) Even if we get real lucky and pick ourselves a super star in the draft, or get one via a trade, we need too look at 3 other possibilities. 1) can he play up to his potential or just level off to being a good player, not great one, 2) can we keep the player or lose him to free agency, look at Howard in Orlando, 3) can he play without getting hurt and shortening his career.
Again, putting those variables into the mix, the odds go even higher!

So, can someone pass Pierce, Bird and Havlicek while scoring as a Celtic? The answer is possible, but highly unlikely. He would have to be traded to the Celtics relatively soon after entering the NBA as a high draft choice from another team and then put up super star numbers for a long time.

Can someone pass Pierce, Bird and Havlicek while scoring as a "Pure Celtic"? The answer in my mind is NO!

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Could Paul Pierce be the Last Great "Pure Celtic"? Empty Re: Could Paul Pierce be the Last Great "Pure Celtic"?

Post by beat Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Reflecting on past years seems there is always a chance that we may yet get a high pick with a trade somewhere down the road, And perhaps a kid that comes out early.

What would need to happen is the player be so skilled as to be able to PLAY and do well right from the start, as Hondo, Bird and PP did. When Hondo was around did we ever even consider Bird. Likewise with PP.

I think it will happen that we will indeed have another +20,000 point scorer eventually but with the world ending in October......???? You are probably right. Damn those Mayans anyway.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Could Paul Pierce be the Last Great "Pure Celtic"? Empty Re: Could Paul Pierce be the Last Great "Pure Celtic"?

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Beat,

It could happen but the odds are probably 1 million to 1 of it happening. If it did, we would need to be in a position to select a top player (top 5), and second that player has super star potential and the delivers on his talents, and third he does not get hurt, and fourth, he does not leave with free agency.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Right now somewhere there is a little kid that is in his backyard, driveway, barn, or a playground that is sinking shot after shot and thinking each one is for the NBA championship.

I just hope the KID is wearing GREEN! CELTIC GREEN!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Beat, your lips to Reds' ears!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down