mrkleen09
Outside
beat
Sam
12 posters

Go down

Update On Rosalie Empty Update On Rosalie

Post by Sam Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 am

I'm sure others have joined me in looking forward to the time when Rosalie would feel well enough to be making regular contributions to the board once again. I just received a phone call from her husband, Bill and the news was somewhat sobering.

It turns out that Rosalie's rehab stay at home lasted only a day and a half. She has been back in the hospital since that time. I don't know all the details, and I felt it best to be satisfied with whatever Bill chose to share. He did mention that, at one point, her kidneys shut down and she also has had a urinary track infection. It's serious enough that she has once again been in a medically induced coma for a while. Bill hopes the coma will be ended soon; but, as he said, "I have no idea where this is going."

She's at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton (Massachusetts). My wife and I use that hospital for virtually all our medical needs (even for routine visits to our primary care physicians), traveling 220 miles round trip to do so. It's a very good community hospital; but the really important thing is that it's part of the Partners group of hospitals that includes world class places like Massachusetts General and Brigham & Women's Hospitals. Newton-Wellesley shares all the expertise and facilities of all hospitals in the Partners system. So, for instance, if Rosalie were to require more than routine surgery, it would very possibly be performed at one of those great teaching hospitals.

I told Bill that the entire board sends its love and will be praying for Rosalie. The poor man sounded pretty rattled, although at least it seems he's quite well recovered from the stroke he suffered after Rosalie entered the hospital for the first time. I thanked him profusely for letting us know about Rosalie's current condition and suggested that a call from him would be welcome at any time, although we have no desire to intrude at an already difficult time. Now that I know where she is, I'll be able to call the hospital from time to time to get whatever morsels of news they choose to parcel out.

I'm sorry to have to break this news to the board, and I wish there were some less jarring way to do so. It seemed appropriate to present it to you the way Bill presented it to me.

God bless Rosalie.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Update On Rosalie Empty Re: Update On Rosalie

Post by beat Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks for the update Sam.

We are all thinking of BOTH of them.

sort of related to health issues.....

My mom is scheduled to have knee replacement surgery next month(3/23). She is 84 and has parkinsons, plus her eyesight is very poor. Uses a walker all the time. Xrays showed bone on bone and lots of arthritis in the joint.
Really not sure about all this as my dad passed away after surgery (gallbladder) 27 years ago today. No surgery is routine, So i'm a little leary about this but she is in a lot of pain and hopefully this will eliminate that and at least makes her more comfortable, and hopefully this helps her get around a little better too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:32 am

Beat,

Sorry to hear about your mother. She (and you and your family by extension) has had a rough go for some time now.

You're right that no surgery is routine. And certainly Parkinson's is an insidious additional cross to bear.

But, just focusing on the surgery for a minute, it's one of two areas in which I'm aware of incredible progress by the medical community. (The heart is the other one.)

My wife had a knee replacement in 2000, and we recently revisited her surgeon because she is probably heading toward another one on the other knee. He said we'd never believe the dramatic changes that have occurred, starting with the much smaller size of the incision and extending right through the rehab process (which is still vitally important but of much shorter duration).

We happen to have a number of friends who have had knee replacements well into their 80s. I would never imply that it's some sort of picnic, but most of them have actually handled it better than my wife was able to do at a much younger age 12 years ago.

So you're absolutely right in not downplaying the severity of the experience for your mother and those close to her. But you'd be just as justified in incorporating a positive element into your outlook.

All the best to your mother and your family as you go through this together (which I know is the way you approach most things).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:54 am

Since we hadn't heard from Rosalie in a while, I feared she'd had a relapse. This is such sad news. My thoughts are with her and Bill.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 am

Outside wrote:Since we hadn't heard from Rosalie in a while, I feared she'd had a relapse. This is such sad news. My thoughts are with her and Bill.

+1.

Please keep us informed Sam. Thanks for the update.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 am

Beat,

Those of us of a certain age have the challenge of assisting parents with health issues. It's not easy, but on the plus side, we still have a parent to share time with. Just one more reminder to appreciate the blessings we have and not take anything for granted.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 am

Sam,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like she's getting great care, and I will certainly be eager to hear better news for Rosalie and Bill as I keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Beat,

I'll second Sam and Outside's thoughts and add to them as someone who's caring for aging parents.

My dad had a knee replacement a couple of years ago. They literally take the old joint out, put the new one in and get you back on your feet within a few hours time. Therapy, exercise and walking begin the next day. He was chasing my son around within 6 months. To top that off, just yesterday I took him to his surgeon for follow up to open-heart surgery he had January 5th. If I wasn't there to hear it I wouldn't believe it but the doctor checked him over, stood back, smiled and said "you certainly don't need me anymore, goodbye." Prior to his surgery we thought he was in his last days and weren't sure if he could survive the operation. He turns 87 next month and is mulling over traveling to see my brother and his family when they move into their new house this spring so he can help with painting.

Give your mom your usual support and be ready for the possibility that she may just amaze you.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:02 pm

Sam,

Thank you. I know you'll keep them coming as they become available.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Sam,

Thanks for keeping us updated. She is a very strong person, so hoping that this is just a "blip" in her recovery.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:38 pm

After the parody of Hello Dolly for Rosalie and there was no response post from her, I suspected there were some complications. Prayers and best wishes and positive thoughts and vibes to Rosalie and her husband to see a way through these rough times for them and Beat for the medical issues facing his relative now also!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:25 pm

NYCelt,

That is absolutely stunning news about your dad! It seemed as though he was headed for a rapid recovery based on your early reports, but I can think of no word other than "stunning" to describe your update.

Many of us think the Celtics possess a certain mystique. But frankly, it's a pittance compared with the two facets of the cycle of life that infuse me with nothing but wonderment: family and friends. The role reversal many of us tend to share with our parents as they (and we) age can sometimes cause trials and tribulations along the way, but it is magical nonetheless. And, two weeks ago, my younger daughter and her significant other lost virtually everything they owned when their house burned down. They're living pretty much hand-to-mouth in a motel, duking it out with an insurance company in hopes of being able to afford the necessities of life. But they're so busy being eternally grateful that their little family (just the two of them and their two cats who almost perished) is together that I haven't heard a word of complaint from them.

Yesterday, we attended the funeral of a good friend who was about a year older than I. The theme of the service turned out to be friendship. Person after person shared vignettes about circumstances in which he hadn't just helped friends but had never, never done it with even a hint of self-interest. People were a little mystified as to what his business had been; but it turned out he was a wheeler dealer who used his wiles primarily to benefit friends, while he completely shunned the spotlight.

His contributions weren't trifles, either. For a friend who was trying to figure out a way to get his Alma Mater, Richmond University, on the map, Paul quietly maneuvered to get a 1996 Clinton-Bush debate venue switched to that University. Almost no one knew he was involved in that coup. It was just one of scores of things he pulled off solely on behalf of friends. Most of them came to light only after he was gone.

The last 10 years of his life were riddled with pain from Parkinson's. But, as recently as 2010, he continued to arrange six luncheons a year involving Boston business and influence leaders in round table discussions on matters of the day. Friend and foe participated in convivial (love that word) conversations that were completely off the record and were consequently amazingly candid. No one who attended ever paid a cent, as Paul found ways to get the affairs held and catered at the Harvard Inn free of charge. His reward was simply the ability to get his friends into discussions in which they could let their hair down without the slightest fear of reprisal. He didn't even lead the meetings, always getting one of the other attendees to do so.

I've always been fascinated by the phenomenon of friendship and almost wrote a Dissertation on the Sociology of Friendship. But learning about the real life stewardship of Paul rendered any in-depth knowledge of friendship on my part miniscule, trite and shallow by comparison.

Family and friendship. Thank god for that dynamic duo.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Sam,

I'm glad to hear your daughter and her +1 were unharmed, although I feel badly that they have to go through this. The loss of property can be bad, but they're still here and that is certainly of the utmost importance. I know that there are fire adjustment firms in most metropolitan areas that represent people who have had fires in an effort to speed things up and obtain a better claim from the insurer. I'm not certain of their fees or how they work though, or if they would be of assistance in your daughter's case.

Sorry to hear of your friend Paul's passing. Isn't it always the way that the quiet ones end up accomplishing so much of significance? It's one of life's irrefutable facts that the longer we live and the more people we come into contact with the more passings we observe. It's also undeniable that we observe and feel the passing of those who were close because of the permanent influence they have had on us. I know you and I have discussed our common feeling on this one before; they're not truly "gone" because we're carrying some of what they were forward. We, in turn, pass it on. Not at all sappy, and kind of nice when you think about it. Some of what was Paul comes to us and others through you.

Something to see, how so many things intertwine over the years through a web-based board covering a basketball team; isn't it?

And we thought we were just going to be discussing uptempo offense...

Best regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Get better please Rosalie!
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Quite a lot of commiserating on this HAppy Valentine's Day. This morning my girlfriend Mary passed away after a long bout with ovarian cancer. I'm sad about it, but to the very end she was finding ways to cheer up the people around her, ever peaceful in the confidence that hers was loving universe and she was forever safe within it.

In Sonnet 146, an poem uncharacteristic for Shakespeare in that it exalts spiritual growth whereas most of his others extoll the virtues of beauty and love, the Bard wrote the following

Poor soul, the centre of my sinful earth,
[Feeding] these rebel pow’rs that thee array,
Why dost thou pine within and suffer dearth,
Painting thy outward walls so costly gay?
Why so large cost, having so short a lease,
Dost thou upon thy fading mansion spend?
Shall worms, inheritors of this excess,
Eat up thy charge? Is this thy body's end?
Then, soul, live thou upon thy servants’ loss,
And let that pine to aggravate thy store;
Buy terms divine in selling hours of dross;
Within be fed, without be rich no more:
So shalt thou feed on death, that feeds on men,
And death once dead, there's no more dying then.

It's his last line which comforts me most, that and the knowledge that heaven has another Celtics fan rooting for #18.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Worcester. Over the past couple of weeks, you've so eloquently acquainted us with Mary's beauty in all respects that I feel as though I've lost a good friend too. I can think of no better person to help fill her life with meaning than you.

Good night, sweet princess.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:12 am

W-

There are no words I can write that would be adequate to express my thoughts to you, especially when you've shared this sad news in such a caring and beautiful way.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and to all of Mary's family and friends.

Dean/NYCelt
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:09 am

W

thinking of you!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:32 am

Worcester,

So sorry for your loss.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 am

Worcester:

My condolances to you in your time of grief. Take solace that she suffers no more and cherrish the memories of good times you shared with her.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 am

God bless Rosalie! Get back soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 am

Worcester,

I'm so sorry about your loss. Her departure on Valentine's Day is bittersweet because now the love you felt for each other will make that day even more important to you.

Rest in Peace, at last.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am

Worcester,

Sorry to hear about your loss. No words at this time can wipe away the pain you must feel. However all our prayers go out to you and we wish her a speedy journey to her maker above, and may she have perpetual peace.

God bless you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Worchester,
like everyone else, my heart goes out to you and you'll be both in my prayers tonight, along with our beloved Rosalie.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down