AINGE: NO MOVE FOR 'SAKE OF DOING IT'

Go down

AINGE: NO MOVE FOR 'SAKE OF DOING IT' Empty AINGE: NO MOVE FOR 'SAKE OF DOING IT'

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:25 am

WEEI
By: Paul Flannery

Celtics team president Danny Ainge joined The Big Show on Thursday and said that he wouldn't make a move to just to shake up his listless team.

"It totally depends on what opportunities are there. I don't feel like I have to do something just for the sake of doing it," Ainge said. "If there's a way to improve, we'll do it."

Asked if he thought his team would be active at the March 15 trade deadline, Ainge said that it was too early to tell. "I don't know. I could see it either way," he said. "We've had a lot of discussions and we'll continue to have discussions but we'll only do things that help us in the long-term."

Ainge added that the Celtics situation is complicated and, "You have to be creative but you have to be disciplined. Not every move is the finished product. There are moves along the way that need to be done to set the table for future moves."

As for his current team, Ainge said that he was still trying to get a handle on who they are and what they will eventually become.

"Right now we're the seventh or eighth seed, that's who we are. There's no denying that," Ainge said. "Every team has had their challenges in this sort of crazy season. So that's who we are right now, but do I think that we can be better? Yeah. We haven't played to our capabilities yet. We haven't been at full strength. I'm not sure who our team is, quite honestly, as this stage. We're waiting to see that. We need to get to the playoffs and find out.

"I'm not really afraid of who we play in the first round, or the second round. It's going to be tough no matter who we play and I'm not afraid of playing the best teams in the league in the first round."

Ainge was also asked about the two-game suspension for Rajon Rondo after he threw the basketball at referee Sean Wright.

"I didn't know what would happen. I thought he might get suspended but I thought it would be zero, one or two [games] and we got the worst of it."

As to whether he felt like he had to have conversation with the guard about his actions, Ainge replied:

"I think that Rajon just lost his emotions and went over the line. He knows it. He has not been a guy that's done anything like that before. He's gotten technicals but he hasn't lost control like that. I think it is a learning lesson. A lot of players go through that. He lost control. He thought he should have gotten the foul call, which he should have, but how he responded was over the line."

Back to top Go down