CELTICS SEARCH FOR A BIG MAN - HERE IS WHO'S AVAILABLE

5 posters

Go down

CELTICS SEARCH FOR A BIG MAN - HERE IS WHO'S AVAILABLE Empty CELTICS SEARCH FOR A BIG MAN - HERE IS WHO'S AVAILABLE

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm

WEEI 850
By Paul Flannery

SACRAMENTO — After not making a move at the trade deadline, the Celtics are going forward with the core of their roster intact, but they are by no means a finished product. After learning that Chris Wilcox will need aortic surgery and miss the rest of the season, the search is on for a big man, and possibly two.

The market is limited, but there is some hope that a few players will become available by March 23. That’s the deadline for players to be bought out of their contracts and waived and still be eligible for a postseason roster. It’s important to note that players can sign at any point up to the end of the regular season as long as they are not on someone’s roster after the March 23 deadline.

“We do need to add a big man,” team president Danny Ainge said. “We need to find the best big man available and we’ll be a little bit patient in that.”

Here’s a list of some of the big men who are, or may become available.

Chris Kaman – The biggest name by far, Kaman is averaging 12.7 points and 8.3 rebounds for the Hornets who have to tried to trade the 7-footer most of the season but found no takers for his $14 million contract. Hornets GM Dell Demps told reporters on Thursday that the team plans to keep Kaman.

“Everything is always a possibility,” Demps said. “I mean there’s no reason to say I’m certain, 100 percent sure. There’s always a possibility. I never want to say never. But our intention is to keep Chris.”

If Kaman is waived, the Celtics will have competition. Yahoo! reported that the Spurs and Heat would also be interested in signing him.

Jermaine O’Neal – This may be a stretch, but his situation remains murky.

“I don’t think he’ll be back, but nothing clear,” Doc Rivers said on Thursday. “It’s not been final but I don’t see him playing.”

Still, Ainge said later that he hasn’t closed the door on O’Neal who has been working out at the team’s facility and he plans to meet with him on Friday. “I don’t know what’s going to come from that meeting,” Ainge said.

It’s an indication of how thin the big man market is that O’Neal could be a lot of team’s Plan B if Kaman isn’t available.

Ronny Turiaf: The Nuggets acquired him at the deadline in the JaVale McGee-Nene swap and plan to waive him to make room for the returning Wilson Chandler.

Turiaf is a tough interior presence and a consummate pro, but he played in only four games with the Wizards this season. He also underwent aortic heart surgery in 2005. He’s played without incident since the surgery, but this is a team that has already lost Wilcox and Jeff Green to heart surgery. Still, he’ll be in demand like Kaman and possibly O’Neal.

Chris Johnson – The one-time Celtic is expected to be waived by the Blazers, along with Greg Oden. Johnson appeared in 20 games for Portland this season and played just 93 minutes. He’s 7 feet tall and a shot blocker, and the Celtics are obviously familiar with him after signing him to a 10-day contract last season.

As for Oden, forget it. The former No. 1 overall pick is recovering from his fifth knee surgery and won’t play again this season, if at all.

Leon Powe – The popular former Celtic has been playing in Puerto Rico, but the Celtics have shown little interest in bringing him back since they cut ties with him after the 2009 season.

Earl Barron – Currently playing for the Meralco Bolts in the Philippines, Barron has played for six NBA teams over seven seasons.

Here’s a look at some of the players in the D-League. Among the names are Brian Butch, Keith Benson and NBA veteran Dan Gadzuric.

Other veterans: Jake Voskhul, D.J. Mbenga, Francisco Elson, Theo Ratliff, Etan Thomas, Brian Skinner.

Back to top Go down

CELTICS SEARCH FOR A BIG MAN - HERE IS WHO'S AVAILABLE Empty Re: CELTICS SEARCH FOR A BIG MAN - HERE IS WHO'S AVAILABLE

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:29 pm

I like Turiaf. He is a tough, blue-collar lunchpail player. He isn't much on the offensive end (hell, let's be honest, almost all his points will come cleaning the boards. Considering we need help on the boards, that might be just what the doctor ordered) but he is a tough guy and will lay down some serious picks for Rondo and Ray. I'd take him. Weird. He had that aortic heart surgery too. WTF?

Francisco Elson is a veteran, but I never really liked him. He played 5 games for Philly this season. Averaged 3.2mpg. Probably got cut a week or two into the season. He's 36 years old.

Chris Johnson is a 210# toothpick. Think JJJ doesn't have the beef to play inside, how about Johnson? Ray Allen is 205#. Johnson is at least 6" taller than Ray and only 5# heavier. The good news is that the refs won't call fouls on him if they're looking at him from the side because they won't see him.

Voskhul and Gadzuric both suck. Skinner and Thomas are 6'9". I love Leon but we need a 5 and he's definitely a 4.

Here's the lowdown on Brian Butch. He's got the size 6'11", 240#, but read the scouting report on him. Doesn't have good footwork nor good hands, not good at boxing out, can't pay the low post. He can shoot from outside but isn't athletic, can't rebound and makes bad decisions. Other than all this, he's perfect. Sheesh!
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brian-Butch-170/

Keith Benson is 6'11", 220# (a slightly beefier Chris Johnson). However, he has a 7'4" wingspan.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Keith-Benson-5712/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

CELTICS SEARCH FOR A BIG MAN - HERE IS WHO'S AVAILABLE Empty Re: CELTICS SEARCH FOR A BIG MAN - HERE IS WHO'S AVAILABLE

Post by NYCelt Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Pass on all.

With the possible exception of Turiaf none of them can provide anything special we can't get from Steimsma and maybe Johnson. Tell Bass to rest up; he's not coming off the floor much.

Perhaps sign some D-League floater to a 10 day at some point just to have the extra body.

We go where we go with what we've got.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 pm

I haven't seen Turiaf play in a while, and he's not an exceptionally talented player, but he's been appreciated for his toughness and as a good teammate wherever he's been. Considering the Celtics' frontcourt situation and who else is available, he could be a good pickup.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Slim pickings for sure.

Looks like kg will probably play the rest of the season at 5.

Both Gs and jjj will be needed. Kinda cool...these guy will be right in the thick of things.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Kaman is our only hope. If not it will be a short run at best unless we get some Irish Luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down