dbrown4
steve3344
bobheckler
sinus007
10 posters

Go down

POST GAME ATLANTA Empty POST GAME ATLANTA

Post by 112288 Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 pm

IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT THAT THE CELTICS ARE BACK..........GET A NEW LIFE!!!!!!!!

This team has a huge heart ...and soul. They dug down deep and pulled out a very important win. Speaking about heart, what about Mickael Pietrus. HIS NEW NAME IS AIR FRANCE - per ESPN BOSTON.Is this guy something else or what! He 's pure energy! Concerns about RA not looking good with his ankle again. Let us pray it heals. People may want to harp on 19 TO but guy's they got in at 3:00 am and played a night game.

A new low for the NBA. Could not believe the officiating! It almost appeared that the game was fixed. Danny got to get on Sterns case with this one, especially the calls going against Steamer! Half of the calls against him are bogus!

KEY GAMES IND OVER CLEVELAND - PHIL OVER TOR. - NY OVER MIL.

NEXT GAME FRIDAY @ TORONTO 7PM - CSNE/NBA LEAGUE PASS[/b]

POST GAME RECAP WEEI 850

FAST BREAK: CELTICS SURVIVE HAWKS IN OVERTIME
By Paul Flannery

This was a perfect set-up for the Hawks. The Celtics were playing their fourth game in five nights, while Atlanta had been off since Saturday. If ever there was a night for the Celtics to act their age, this was it.

At times they did. They committed 23 turnovers, many of them unforced, and trailed by eight points at the half. But the Celtics fought back. Coach Doc Rivers keeps talking about how much he loves his team’s resolve and it was on display throughout the game.

Kevin Garnett scored 22 points and had 12 rebounds before fouling out and Rajon Rondo recorded his sixth triple double of the season with 10 points, 10 rebounds and 20 assists as the Celtics survived in overtime, 88-86.

The victory has all kinds of playoff implications as the Celtics moved into a tie with the Hawks at 34-24. But beyond that, it was further validation that they still have more fight left in them.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Mickael Pietrus returned: You can’t overestimate the importance of Pietrus on the Celtics down the stretch and in the playoffs. His versatility, especially defensively, will be a key factor as matchups dominate postseason play. On a deeper level, Pietrus’ return was a welcome sight for a team that has endured its share of catastrophic injuries.

“I was laid out for two weeks,” Pietrus said before the game. “I couldn’t do much. I was trying to rest my brain. I could not watch TV. I could not do anything basically. It’s not like an injury that you hurt your knee, you hurt your ankle, it’s your brain. You’ve got to get your brain right. To be honest with you, I was thinking about my kids. I was thinking about my life. That could have been a different story for me. Today, I’m young, I still got my smile. I enjoy life. When I fell I was thinking more about my kids.”

Oh, and he scored eight points to go with six rebounds in 28 minutes and nailed a 3-pointer that gave them the lead early in the fourth quarter.

Rondo the magnificent: A lot of attention has been paid to the point guard’s streak of double-digit assist games, which reached 19 against the Hawks. But not enough attention is being paid to the floor games that Rondo is having. He’s got everyone on a string and is making the right decisions more often than not. Yes, he had another triple double — his sixth of the season — but there was so much more to Rondo’s game than just his bizarre numbers: 10 points on 3-for-16 shooting, 10 rebounds and 20 assists.

Brandon Bass had another productive night: Don’t sleep on Bass who once again did his thing with 21 points, 10 rebounds and a huge basket down the stretch. He’s been finishing better at the rim and is attacking the offensive glass again. Bass also guarded Atlanta center Zaza Pachulia, which allowed Garnett to take Josh Smith.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Second quarter breakdown: After a rousing 12 minutes in which the Celtics shot 64 percent (13-for-19), they followed it up by missing 14 of 19 shots in the second (26.3 percent). They also had six turnovers and the bench was outscored 13-3. Rivers ran through nine different players in the first half, but he received little support from the bench.

The calls did not go their way: The Celtics had four straight controversial calls go against them in overtime. They won anyway. That’s the mark of a veteran team.

Ray Allen missed another game because of his ankle: While the Celtics were thrilled to get Pietrus back, there has to be come concern over Allen’s absence. Rivers said he expects Allen will be able to travel to Toronto on Friday when the Celtics begin a stretch of three road games in three days.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME ATLANTA Empty Re: POST GAME ATLANTA

Post by sinus007 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:12 am

Hi,
Great win, thank you very much.
I'm pretty sure that Bob et al will give excellent detailed comments about the game. I'll allow myself to be negative for a moment. Express my concerns, that is.
There are 3:
RA's ankle - I hope it's nothing serious; he just needs a few days rest and treatment.
MP - isn't it too soon for him to play full throttle so many minutes?
Celtics got lucky yesterday - despite all efforts by the refs Atl couldn't take advantage of them. In playoffs in a close game this doesn't happen.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I'm pretty sure that Bob et al will give excellent detailed comments about the game. I'll allow myself to be negative for a moment. Express my concerns, that is.
There are 3:
RA's ankle - I hope it's nothing serious; he just needs a few days rest and treatment.
Celtics got lucky yesterday - despite all efforts by the refs Atl couldn't take advantage of them. In playoffs in a close game this doesn't happen.

AK

sinus,

Assuming I'm the "Bob" you're referring to (I'm the verbose one), I'm sorry, I only was able to watch the game until 38-35, so I can't comment other than "Great Win! More Ganas from players who really want it!".

We did have 5 TOs in the 1st quarter. That was why they were still in the game at that point.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 am

Doc, post-game interview:

“We’ve got great character,” Rivers said. “Tough-minded group. You could see they wanted to win that game so bad.”

“This team has resolve,” Rivers said. “They do. On paper, all that stuff, you know who we are. But they figure it out. They like each other and I think that allows us to win games on certain nights that we shouldn’t win. I really believe it.”

Rivers went so far as to say that this is the toughest group he’s coached in Boston. He will always love his first Orlando team that won 42 games with Darrell Armstrong as his leading scorer, but this team is doing what that one couldn’t.

“I had one in Orlando but we couldn’t win any games. This team, they’re just tough. I don’t know why. I wish I knew,” Rivers said. “Once we went small it was like, guys this is who we are and this is how we have to play the rest of the year and they’ve really bought into it.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:59 pm

There are 3:

AK

In the playoffs, most probably, we don't get four consecutive blatantly wrong calls against us.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to have literally fallen off the map for about a year. Long strange trip with changes in work/personal/family, but am OK and have been following the Celtics all the way through and reading what I can. I apologize for not staying in contact through this site. Speaking of which, Sam, if you could let me know my status and what I owe. My password still works but I'm probably in the minus column for dues. (New Email address is dbrown0523@nc.rr.com if that helps)

Don't know if I have anything in particular to add at this point but needless to say I am impressed with the recent changes with KG moving to 5 and AB coming of age. Most of all is the professionalism of RA to voluntarily move to the much needed bench support and pose a huge threat during the usual downtime/lead losing section of games while the starter take their breaks.

Pietrus coming back is awesome as well. And just in time. However RA is out briefly. Doc just continues to roll with the punches. Over the last 5 years, I never remember Ray being out for injury. He has always been the Iron Man, but it is a sign of the time for him. Coming off the bench is perfect and can add another year or two to his career. Remember Kevin McHale used to be our 6th man. He ate that role up as I recall. So will Ray.

I love the two-pronged hit of BB and KG and their respective hot spots of right (or left) off the free throw line and just off the top of the key. For KG, although his off the top of the key shot is deadly and as close to automatic as anything, I did see him recently with his foot on the three point line for a shot that he hit just as sweetly. Not that we need another three point Rasheed, but it does make you think what could be if he took a step back after a feed from RR. He looks 20 years old out there lately.

Gone are the days of RR dragging the ball up, crossing half court with 16-18 seconds left before starting the offense and throwing up a brick before the shot clock expires after a reset/busted play. (The play where he was waving his teammates up court as he was just ahead of everyone was priceless). 2+ seconds on the shot clock make a huge difference in the quality of play we are seeing now.

As the talking heads in the media go back and forth on the current question of whether the Celtics will contend as the #3 in the East, I still don't think Miami has it locked. I've come to like LeBron a little more from my earlier days. But he has to get it done this year. Weight of the world is on his shoulders. And to date, the Celtics look like they could be their spoiler again this year. They aren't going to beat us again 4-1, or 4-0. Now whether it will be a 4-3 them or 4-3 us, I don't know or have a gauge on it, but I like what I'm seeing.

Nice quotes from Doc above say it all. They like each other and they've really bought into it. I don't think you can say that about any other team right now in the league. Not even close. Maybe San Antonio. That's about it. Go Celtics!

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Hey D welcome back from bolivian

Just one point, if I remember McHale correctly he started out as a 6th man in his first years with Bird and Maxwell starting. Eventually he started after a couple years but I don't recall him coming of the bench at or near the end of his career. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 pm

I watched the whole game, alone in a room where I could yell my head off!
It was a frustrating game to watch, many missed shots, they should have never gone into overtime. This was one tired group, PP had no legs last night.
But....they have more heart than any team out there right now. I can't help but think back to 1968-69, Russell's last year, the year they beat Philadelphia (I was in Phillie when they won the game on their court!), and then went on to
LA and ended up beating them on their home court (the balloon game)!

I can't help but think back to that time, Russ and Sam were too old, there was no way they could win, that is what the papers said.. but they shut everyone up and came home with the title. Granted, the player/coach was Russell, who could motivate him more than himself???? But, watch Garnett,
he needs no motivation, he is motivating himself! I know this is a long reach, but watching this team brings back so many great memories. I lived through that time, was a season's ticket holder for the three years preceding that, and just can't help but see similarities. I can only wish the outcome is the same.

If not....it has been one hell of a ride this second half of the season. Bring them back, they deserve to go to the Hall in a Celtic uniform......a tribute to
this era of basketball.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:12 pm

D

Guess we are sort of both right

here are McHales stats

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mchalke01.html

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:42 pm

bobheckler wrote:
There are 3:

AK

sinus,

Assuming I'm the "Bob" you're referring to (I'm the verbose one), I'm sorry, I only was able to watch the game until 38-35, so I can't comment other than "Great Win! More Ganas from players who really want it!".

We did have 5 TOs in the 1st quarter. That was why they were still in the game at that point.

bob

Bob,
Yes, I meant you. The only other "Bob" here I know is BobC33.
Sorry you didn't watch the game.
My general impression was it's an ugly game. Well, at least it was visually. I guess fatigue and age showed their ugly claws. But, as they say, in mind vs body struggle mind prevailed. I'm happy it was Celtics collective mind. The will and determination of the whole team withstood the Atl and back-to-back "hurricanes"

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Welcome back, DBrown. Actually, dues are now voluntary. Whatever is collected will be put to good use, such as the flowers we sent to Rosalie when she initially went home from the hospital. If you feel you really want to pay the $15, please email me (SlipSamCelt@aol), and we'll work something out after I return from vacation in early May.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:43 pm

The old Celtics always said that their familiarity with each other's abilities and preferences was one of the keys to winning. They also said they wanted to win as much for their teammates as for themselves. It's a force multiplier.

That's what's going on. Team play is asserting itself and the rest of the league and the announcers are still talking about individuals. The defense is even more effective because other teams don't experience that kind of denial, take-no-prisoners play from other teams. It's almost a surprise to them. Fun fun fun!!!

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Rondo, being aggressive. Love it!

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c0168e9ff85f5970c-600wi

The bench! Cheering on our guys!

POST GAME ATLANTA Ap-201204112224806519108

Bass! Setting a pick and then going to the iron.

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c0168e9ff81c1970c-500wi

Welcome back Mickael Pietrus!

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c0168e9ff8247970c-500wi

Rondo with the steal and the 3pt assist to the trailer Pierce.

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c0168e9ff8310970c-500wi

Pietrus, a tough shot moving left.

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c0168e9ff8368970c-500wi

Pierce with the steal, Rondo on the break. Note Bradley and KG running their asses off.

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c01630409ccb3970d-500wi

KG taking Zaza off the dribble.

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c016764fe0060970b-500wi

Bass taking Zaza off the dribble. Zaza is having all kinds of trouble.

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c016764fe00b2970b-500wi

Pierce with the OT backbreaker

POST GAME ATLANTA 6a01156f2c3287970c01630409cd92970d-500wi

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:36 am

Rosalie, This season reminds me so much of 1969 as well. What heart. What teamwork. Speaking of Bill Russell, I just finished talking with a patient about the Celts. he'd been on a flight to London and on the shuttle bus to the terminal he said to this tall black man, "You look like Bill Russell."

"I am Bill Russell," was the reply.

My patient then told Russ what a pleasure it had been watching him play over the years. I feel the same way about so many on this current team. PP, RR, KG, RA, AB, even Steemer. So much to enjoy. And of course Doc. What an elegant master of Ceremonies, like the Ringmaster of the old Ringling Bros. circus. We are so lucky to have picked the right team to root for all these years. Imagine if we'd been Portland fans!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 am

Well W

one thing is for sure, we would not have been rooting for them in 69

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down