Celtics vs. The Other Two

2 posters

Go down

Celtics vs.  The Other Two Empty Celtics vs. The Other Two

Post by dbrown4 Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 am

I have to admit I was drawn in by all the hype with last night's Heat v. Bulls game and watched it as the Celtics were off last night getting ready for what looks like Cupcake City over the weekend with a back-to-back-to-back twist. Toronto could pose the biggest threat tonight, but then the tired legs for Saturday and Sunday could provide something rather embarrassing if we are not careful. Doc will figure it out.

The Heat/Bulls game I watched from a "How do we or would we stack up in the playoffs" perspective with other insights. In other words, can we beat both of them in 7?

1. I think it was clear from watching just that game, if you could combine Miami's starting 5 (when their heads are in the game, of course) with Chicago's bench, that team would go 82-0 and 16-0. More importantly, Chicago's bench is amazing. Talk about a second unit. Yes they are the sprinters on that team so their shelf life is very short but what a display of balls to the wall defense and offense while on the floor. All three times they were out there, they brought the Bulls back in the game. With a fully restored DRose, that combination will spell doom for Miami and quite possibly us. The stat they showed breaking down Starters vs. Bench point production told it all. Miami was about 80/20, while Bulls were almost 50/50. You can win with either team. Of course this was without Rose at full steam, but it's nice to know you have a bench with chemistry to the max.

The Point - We're neither of those, thank God. I'm just going to guess we're about 70/30, although with the recent moving of RA to bench, that 30% could increase some. Our bench doesn't come in and take over a game like the Bulls bench did in that game. That was exciting to watch. Ray won't be on Korver, will he? In the playoffs, with Miami's heads in the game and our line-up changes and the match-up problems it creates, Starting 5 v. Starting 5 could go either way. It just depends on Spoelstra and can he figure it out in time. You just never know what Heat team you are going to get game to game. Same will apply in the playoffs. We're in the Baby Bear Chair...just right.

2. Coaching - T-Sqaured can flat out coach. Interesting twist last night. His star player was on the bench and cheering like he was at a high school game all at crunch time. D-Rose has been watching RA and how to act like a professional. As far as stacking the coaches, Spoelstra is still third. He's got to be just about to blow a gasket and I'n sure those meeting with Pat aren't to ask how the family is doing. He's playing the ever popular game of unpinned hand grenade, hoping to find the pin and replace it once the playoffs finally get here, only to discover the pin is too big for the hole. Good luck with that one. That's going to be messy. While T2 has had to deal with his star (and Rip for that matter) missing 1/3 of the season, being ready and having him and the starters at 100% with Rip fully incorporated by the playoffs isn't a given either. Our cereal is juuuust right. Doc has our team and rotations just about set and playing at the level where they are fun to watch as a fan. We're not at the Chicago Bench level of fun to watch but we're not going to blow the lead anymore either. With Pietrus now back, this presents a small problem of chemistry off the bench but fixable soon. Doc doesn't have to use the same 3 guys off the bench every night for playoffs 8-man rotations. It will just depend on the match-ups. RA may not make it consistently. But I would have to believe he is Doc's #1 off the bench, followed by Pietrus Sasha and Steamer. Steamer's certainly earned it.

The Point - Doc and T2 are neck and neckfar as coaching savvy. Was really impressed with T2 pulling DRose without blinking an eye. that was ballsy. T2 wants it badly. But I don't know if it is time for T2 to snatch the pebble from Doc's hand quite yet. Edge to Doc.

3. Overall Chemistry - Always a big topic come playoff time as well as the season. Looking at the other two with the injury problems, on/off switches, integrating line-ups, etc., this is a lay-up. We still have some tweaking to do and we can work on this over the weekend hopefully without dropping an egg, but we are way further down the field on this one than the other two. As Doc said, "They (team) really like each other. They have really bought into everything." Can't tell you how big a deal that is. Everybody knows their jobs. It allows Doc's to step up to an elite mental level in coaching that most other coaches can't or haven't ever been to. He doesn't have to deal with a DHoward/SVG issue, etc. He has had his fair share of the injury issues which always seem to plague us, but being in the heat of it all the time, he has mastered that one as well.

The Point - When chemistry is like what the overall Celtics currently have or what the Chicago bench has, it makes the game fun to watch and which to marvel. Runs are runs. Assists are real assists. It becomes a beautiful game. Definite edge to the Celtics with CHI and MIA a distant 2nd or 3rd but with the caveat that if they get their acts together, look out. But it is still for the both of them High Risk/Reward. Our bed is juuust right.

In summary, I will take a team every day and Sunday with above average players who know their jobs and perform them to the max over a superstar ladened team any day. That's the product we know and love as a Celtic fan. That's the product we are delivered day in and day out, year in and year out. This playoff season is going to be VERY fun to watch. Can't wait. And glad we will be a part of it.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Celtics vs.  The Other Two Empty Re: Celtics vs. The Other Two

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:37 am

I think it is an embarassing failure as a team that they are running Lebron as the PG pretty much.

I think the Heat would be better served at this point having Lebron and Wade step back some and get the other players to find their roles even if it takes them losing the rest of the games.

Even if Bosh is not really on the level to make it a "Big 3" they should still try and involve him more so he is an option on offense, they need to be able to trust him and he needs to know that he is trusted.

Bosh and Boozer are pretty much the same level to me the difference is that the Bulls are not afraid to give the ball to Boozer (or anybody else who is playing for that matter).

That is something I like about the current Celtics bench, they might or might not provide scoring on any given night but if Sash gets the open shot he takes it. They dont defer to "their stars". If you are open, take it and make it.

With Chicago we will have to beat the Bulls, with Miami you will have to beat Lebron and Wade.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 am

It's all nail-bitingly close. Closer than most think beyond this site. I know I am putting the cart before the horse because the 1st round could easily be a nightmare if we overlook an Atlanta or anyone for that matter. MIA and CHI will be waiting.

I like our chances, though.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down