mrkleen09
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
swedeinestonia
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Celtics' Stiemsma wants to return to Boston Empty Celtics' Stiemsma wants to return to Boston

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 am

Celtics' Stiemsma wants to return to Boston

CSNE

BOSTON -- Greg Stiemsma is in the midst of a breakout rookie year with the Boston Celtics. Next season, he would like to continue that success in green and white.

Stiemsma will be a restricted free agent this summer with a qualifying offer worth $1.05 million. After traveling through Europe and the NBA Development League for years, the 26-year-old center would like to return next season to the team that gave him his first shot in the NBA.

“Oh yeah, absolutely,” Stiemsma told CSNNE.com. “Next year’s going to kind of take care of itself, I’m hoping, so I’m not getting too worried about it yet. But at the same time, with everything that I’ve learned from these guys and this organization, I’d love to come back.”

Stiemsma has gone from benchwarmer to a key member of the Celtics second unit. Following the season-ending injuries and conditions of big men Jermaine O'Neal (wrist) and Chris Wilcox (cardiac), he has become the backup center to Kevin Garnett. 

Stiemsma, 6-11, is averaging 1.57 blocks per game, ranked 15th among all players and second among rookies. His 5.39 blocks per 48 minutes is second-most in the NBA.

Throughout the season he has garnered the praise of teammates and coaches for his work ethic and hustle. Stiemsma has averaged 4.9 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks in the last 10 games as the Celtics prepare for the playoffs.

"I truly hope that (Celtics President of Basketball Operations) Danny (Ainge) rewards him at the end," Kevin Garnett said last month. "If not us, somebody at the end of the year, gives him something long term to where he can build off of, substantial."

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Stiemsma wants to return to Boston Empty Re: Celtics' Stiemsma wants to return to Boston

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:13 am

At the same time I totally would not blame Stiemsma for going to "the highest bidder" if he can get a couple of millions.

Guy is 26 and not exactly a superstar, cant blame a guy for chosing the money in that situation. The difference between getting 1M and 4M is significant (just as an example, dunno if he could get it) whereas KG making any more money at all is kind of redundant.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Stiemsma wants to return to Boston Empty Re: Celtics' Stiemsma wants to return to Boston

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 am

He's a restricted free agent. That means we can match. He leaves ONLY if the offers to him from other teams are outrageously high.

Obviously, I'd like to see him come back.

I can't help but wonder what his game will look like next year, when he has a year of Doc's playbook under his belt AND he has a full training camp and pre-season. This year, due to the lockout, he was slam-dunked into the NBA. Do they have any plays set up for him now? They will next year.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Don't forget the possible summer league.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:29 pm

he would be foolish to just chase the money. He has had almost 66 games to learn this system, become a great backup center, and has learned so much from KG and Doc that it is in his best interests to stay here and become entrenched at the center position. If KG returns, he will play less minutes in many games and Greg will become an integral part of the team. What the heck would they have done if he didn't come here? Jermaine, Wilcox, gone and no one decent to replace them. I look forward to his second year where maybe the ref's will finally give him a break and slow down on the fouls they
call on him. He is fun to watch now, give him a year, we may have found a gem.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:44 pm

I am not saying he should chase the money but I sort of cant blame him if he wants to secure his future financially Smile

I hope he has a good future, he seems to be a nice guy and I hope it is with the Celtics.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:12 pm

As bobh says, he is a restricted free agent, which allows the Celtics to match any offer made by another team.

There may be other salary restrictions, due to it being only his second year in the league. If so, any offers from other teams may be, by cap rules, low enough to make signing him for multiple years a no-brainer for Danny.

I certainly hope so.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:18 pm

My biggest worry is Bass. He is an unrestricted free agent. I know he likes it here in Boston, but this could be the year he gets the chance to make the crazy money they are out there throwing around.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Rosalie,

From a couple days ago:

Celtics’ Bass is comfortable

Those difficult years in Orlando helped put a chip on Bass’s shoulder that he brought to Boston. He viewed the Celtics not as a former rival but as a team on which he could flourish with veteran teammates. He could play with a more mature center than Dwight Howard in Kevin Garnett, and Doc Rivers would scream at him for not shooting when he was open, the opposite of Van Gundy in Orlando.

“I’m grateful for it, man, because I’m getting an opportunity here to grow as a player in this league,’’ he said after tying his season high with 22 points in the Celtics’ 94-82 win over the Bobcats Sunday in Charlotte, N.C. “And it’s something I always wanted since my first year, just be able to develop and grow. Here I’m able to grow at a faster rate and I hope I continue because I feel like I got a bunch of different things that I haven’t shown that I could to help the team in certain areas.’’

Here's more:

http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-17/sports/31356339_1_brandon-bass-rajon-rondo-midrange-jumper

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Yup....Danny has his marching orders.

-Sign Jeff Green
-Sign Bass
-Sign Steamer
-Get KG and Ray Allen to come back at a better rate

Then start to look around at free agents.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:11 pm

I am with you there. Funny, I just saw Jackie Mac on tv last week, she is insisting that she believes KG is going to retire. I just don't see it, I could be wrong, but the young kids have put the fire back in the belly of KG, I see one more year with maybe a player option year. Ray, I am so sorry to say, is probably gone, especially since all the info came out about his trade that failed. Going to Memphis would have been a killer for him, and I believe he
wants to be in charge of where he plays next. Plus, the sixth man role is not
sitting well with him.,

I wish he would sit with Frank Ramsey and John Havlicek and listen to what they have to say about being the sixth man. The other problem is that I am
afraid someone will throw crazy money at him and he will go where they will pay him the most. Ego. Sometimes it gets in the way. Maybe, just maybe
I am wrong, but the signs point toward him leaving.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Rosie

I think you are right except for the comments about being the 6th man not sitting well with Ray.

From what Doc said in a recent interview - Ray is the one that came to him to discuss it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Rosalie and Kleen,

The story on Ray does seem to be conflicted. The initial word was it was his idea, but I've also read a few accounts now that say he's unhappy and that it was not his suggestion. I caught something on SportsCenter speculating that the team put the statement that it was his idea out there much the same way CEOs are given room to say they stepped down to "pursue other opportunities".

We'll probably never get the complete details. My personal guess is the only way Ray would have offered to take a back seat is if he felt his ankle problems weren't getting better soon.

Regards

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:04 pm

My feeling is..the writing was on the wall. Ray was out for what? six plus games, Bradley was doing so well that they didn't want to upset the current
flow. Rondo has made it very clear he likes playing with Bradley, just look at the way they play together.

So.....rather than putting himself in an awkward position, Ray may have let
Doc off the hook and "volunteered". However, judging from his statements since coming off the bench, it is clear he is not happy. However, he played
very well with Bradley himself in the few games he appeared in before going out again. He would never start anything now, obviously, because he would look like a disgrunted "old" vet. I still think he is so important to this team, I would love for him to come back.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:57 pm

With all the trade rumors Ray has faced, I've got to think that he's been in more difficult situations than this. I'd be shocked if he did anything other than whatever is asked of him to win in the playoffs.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 am

I like Ray Allen and would love to see him re-sign here at a slightly reduced rate - and embrace the 6th man role...but if not, then so be it.

The Celtics have clearly played better since Bradley was inserted into the starting line up...they start games with energy...and both guards can cover interchangeably. And Ray off the bench has shown glimmers of what it could become.

We shall see how it all turns out.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 am

The Celtics should grab Gerald Green at the right price this summer. He has matured, playing great defense and at 6'8 can run like a deer and shoot the lights out. He also can sky. He is putting great numbers up in New Jersey.

Just think of Jeff Green PF, Rondo PG, Gerald Green SF, and Bradley SG on the court at the same time. Speed, shooting, leaping ability, defense, it would be a hell of a team, then you add Garnett at center.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:04 am

Response to MRKleen: Ainge also should try to bring back Wilcox, if the operation aleviates the heart condition!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:12 am

Totally agree MD... he was playing great ball when they found the problem.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 pm

mrkleen- I read an interesting story in the Boston Herald today, an interview with Ray Allen. It is written by Mark Murphy. See if you can find it and read it, It is a obvious what Ray is feeling now. Let me know what you think.

I have been thinking about Sam all week, hoping he is having a great time and is enjoying himself. Jealous as hell !!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Read it Rosie. Doesnt say much IMO. Just a professional covering all his bases.

I think the current ankle injury is much more serious than anyone knows....and he will need surgery in the off season....so his position wont be nearly as strong next season as he thinks it will be. Guess we will have to wait and see.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am

112288 wrote:The Celtics should grab Gerald Green at the right price this summer. He has matured, playing great defense and at 6'8 can run like a deer and shoot the lights out. He also can sky. He is putting great numbers up in New Jersey.

Just think of Jeff Green PF, Rondo PG, Gerald Green SF, and Bradley SG on the court at the same time. Speed, shooting, leaping ability, defense, it would be a hell of a team, then you add Garnett at center.

was thinking the same thing myself, I think G Green has a great relationship with Doc and the first city that he played for, his agent did a great job as hes strictly unrestricted after this year. He seems ready to come into his own, knows this franchise treated him right, would love to see him coming off bench for AB or Pierce as a swingman, then if we can siqn Jeff Green to swing the 3 and 4 we would be stacked.....all we would need is to draft a couple BIGs and we could be set.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Perhaps if he doesn't want too much GREEN he might be able to wear some GREEN

Now i'm sounding like MD........... oh goodness NO!!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
112288 wrote:The Celtics should grab Gerald Green at the right price this summer. He has matured, playing great defense and at 6'8 can run like a deer and shoot the lights out. He also can sky. He is putting great numbers up in New Jersey.

was thinking the same thing myself, I think G Green has a great relationship with Doc and the first city that he played for, his agent did a great job as hes strictly unrestricted after this year. He seems ready to come into his own, knows this franchise treated him right, would love to see him coming off bench for AB or Pierce as a swingman, then if we can siqn Jeff Green to swing the 3 and 4 we would be stacked.....all we would need is to draft a couple BIGs and we could be set.

Has his basketball IQ improved?

Does he even have a basketball IQ now?

For the few years he was here he was dumber than a bag of hammers. I'm not talking about immature, he never bitched about playing time or how Doc was using him or anything like that, he just didn't pick up Doc's schemes.

They haven't changed much since then.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 pm

No doubt this kid will be looking for a decent contract after jumping around so much. Do they really want to take a chance with him and then get stuck with an overpriced failure? I love the kid, but you are right Bob, he was really not the brightest lightbulb on the christmas tree! I sat behind him and Tony Allen in a restaurant here in Waltham one night. I wish you could have listened to them ordering. It took two waitresses to get it right!!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next