The Ties that Bind!

3 posters

Go down

The Ties that Bind! Empty The Ties that Bind!

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri May 11, 2012 2:46 pm

I can't help but believe that as much as KG's disdain for the media harping on his age was the reason for his feistiness in the NBA TV media press conference after last night's victory over Atlanta. Abetter reason for his stellar performance on the court was his close association and affinity for Bill Russell. Russ in a candid interview with the he and KG a while back lauded KG for coming to Boston and said he couldn't be prouder of KG than if he were his own offspring. Russell confided in Garnett that if he and his teammates played, "the right way," that they could get more than one title out of this run. Russ then concluded by saying that by some chance that fate did not bestow another title on this group of Celtics the he (Russ) would be happy to share one of his with KG. Reality shows that this will be a most difficult road for this team to travel with injuries being as big an opponent as any team the Celtics would play. However, events, efforts that border on the surreal and super human could await this group partially because of the bond Russel and KG forged five years ago and continue to fortify. KG says when Russell comes to check out a game at the Garden, "The foundation is here. He laid the gruondwork for all of us." THat groundwork has burgeoned into what is commonly referred to as, "Celtic Pride."

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

The Ties that Bind! Empty Re: The Ties that Bind!

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 pm

1That statement and interview was made in the 2007-2008 season. After winning the title, Russ was hugging KG and KG kept saying "I'VE GOT MY OWN"!

As a long time Celtics fan I have seen many, many players come and go on this team. Russ has embraced many stars over the years, some not even on this team. He is the epitome of Celtic Pride. KG picked up on that from his beginnings here in Boston. I do have to wonder, though, if this is the end for KG. His rumblings last night about this possibly being his last year, Pierce's statements about this being the end of the BIG THREE, you have to wonder if maybe they are BOTH retiring. I know that Ray has no thoughts about retiring, but he will leave this team if the other two are gone.

It has been a joy to have these guys together on this team for these last five years. I will hate the day when we have to say goodbye.

What chances do you think there will be of KG's # being retired here in Boston?

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri May 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Rosalie,

I feel the same way. Here is hoping that they all want to retire in green. I sure want them too!

To your health.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri May 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Rosalie:

I think it's a sure bet KG's #5 will be raised to the rafters. I remember Walton joking after the trade that brought Garnett to Boston that finally his (Walton's #5) would be retired. Of course Walton was predicting KG's continued success in a Celtic uniform. Hopefully he and Pierce will come back. KG is more media miffed and I don't think that overrides his love for Doc, his teammates and the fans. He can't go, he'd miss Gino!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm

1986 was one great year to watch basketball. When they brought Walton here everyone thought it was crazy. He was so happy to be playing with Bird and McHale and Parish. I met him one day at a mall, I asked him how he liked backing up the big guy, Parish. He kept me there talking for over 20 minutes.
So...as much as I absolutely love Garnett, I will be thrilled to see that number up there and I will always think of the both of them when I look at it!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri May 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Rosalie:

I heard Walton was so team chemistry conscious that he paid a visit to The Chief to assure him he wasn't trying to take his job, that he only wanted to contribute to a title. The only way '86 could have been sweeter is if the Finals victory was over LA & not Houston.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down