MDCelticsFan
mrkleen09
Matty
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POST GAME PHILLY GAME #3 Empty POST GAME PHILLY GAME #3

Post by 112288 Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm

This game sent a clear message to Philly.....................Forget how young you are.............Watch out because we are.........THE BIG BAD CELTICS!!!!!!!

Well we gain home court advantage back. This was a classic Celtic game.........defense.......run........attack the paint...........and play more defense!!!!!!

Another monster game by KG - 27 pts/13 rb's....Good to see Pietrus come alive and gain some confidence!!!!!!!

Pierce played possessed, you could see it in his eyes....he smells the Eastern Conference Finals and The Finals .....and he wants it BAD! Good to see points in the paint pick up - Celtics had the edge 50 verses 38!

After Friday game we get 2 days off and play Monday night......we should be fresh and ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!

NEXT GAME FRIDAY @PHILLY 8PM - ESPN/CSNE

POST GAME RECAP

WEEI 850AM

FAST BREAK: CELTICS FIND OFFENSE, TAKE 2-1 SERIES LEAD
By Ryan Hadfield

The Celtics followed up their lackluster Game 2 performance by putting together perhaps their best game so far in the playoffs, beating the 76ers 107-91 to take back home court advantage, holding a 2-1 series lead. Rajon Rondo scored 23 points to go along with his 14 assists. Kevin Garnett continued his impressive postseason run, scoring 27 points (12-of-17 shooting) and grabbing 13 rebounds. Thaddeus Young scored 22 points off the bench, leading all Philadelphia scorers.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

The Ticket to the Swag Show: The first quarter was the Rondo (or, as KG calls him, “Swag”) show. He scored 13 of the Celtics 28 first quarter points. Rondo watched from the bench as Garnett went 8-of-9 from the field in the second quarter on his way to 17 points. KG abused Spencer Hawes and Elton Brand in the post after Lavoy Allen picked up his third foul midway through the second quarter.

The C’s outscored the Sixers 32-14 while shooting 13-of-19 (68 percent) in the second quarter to take control of the game. For some perspective, Boston only scored 49 points through the third quarter of Game 2.

Doin’ Philly Better Than Philly: The 76ers turned the ball over the fewest times per game in the regular season and the first round of the playoffs. The Celtics were fantastic Wednesday night, only committing two turnovers in the first half of Game 2. The 60-point offensive display put on in the first half was predicated on meticulous execution. While the efficiency was evident through the lack of turnovers, Rondo’s decision making was superb. He pushed the ball at the right times and knew when to pull up into a half court set. The Celtics turned their five steals in the first half into 12 fast break points, and held the younger 76ers to only seven.

Loose Balls: Essentially everything the Celtics did wrong in the first two games of the series was remedied on the road in Game 3.

Unlike in Game 2, the Celtics stepped on the Sixers throat when they had the chance, extending their 11-point halftime lead to 23 by the end of the third quarter.
Boston was a combined 10-of-36 from 3-point territory in Games 1 and 2. On Wednesday night they weren’t great from beyond the arc, but weren’t woeful either, finishing 5-of-11 from 3-point land.
The Celtics played the aggressor while getting to the line 28 times, when in Game 2, they settled for jump shots and only got to the line nine times.
Finally, the Celtics held a 44-37 rebounding advantage, which has been by far their biggest vice this season.
The Truth Isn’t in the Numbers: Paul Pierce started 2-of-9 shooting. While that certainly isn’t solid start, his two baskets were on emphatic dunks that enlivened his teammates. Pierce, along with Rondo, kept Boston in contention early before the C’s exploded in the second and third quarter. Pierce also was engaged down low battling for 12 rebounds. And although The Truth’s shot wasn’t falling Wednesday night, he earned 14 trips to the foul line, converting 11.

WHAT WENT WRONG

That Was New: More of a commentary on the lack of investigative reporting on my part, but is the phenomenal “Flexing” celebration by Marquis Daniels, Keyon Dooling, and Ryan Hollins is new? How did we miss it? Is it new?

This was really all that could be expected from the C’s in Game 3. They took the first punch, giving up 33 first-quarter points, but only trailed by five, and dismantled the Sixers the rest of the way.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ESPNBOSTON
Rapid Reaction: C's 107, 76ers 91 (Game 3)

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Rapid reaction after the Boston Celtics defeated the Philadelphia 76ers 107-91 in Game 3 of an Eastern Conference semifinal series Wednesday night at Wells Fargo Center. (Boston leads the series, 2-1).

HOW THE GAME WAS WON
Kevin Garnett posted 27 points on 12 of 17 shooting with 13 rebounds and 4 assists over 30 minutes in an absolutely dominating performance. Garnett was plus-27 during his time on the court, helping Boston open a double-digit lead at halftime and blowing the game open soon after. Rajon Rondo came out in attack mode and chipped in 23 points on 9 of 16 shooting, then settled into distributor mode (finishing with 16 assists over 40:44). Boston shot 51.9 percent (40 of 77) from the floor overall. Thaddeus Young scored a team-high 22 points on 10 of 16 shooting for the 76ers (Philadelphia's bench actually accounted for 55 points overall). Jrue Holiday had a starter-high 15 points (the rest of the starters were a combined 7 of 30 for 21 points) for the Sixers.

TURNING POINT
Forced to sit out the final 5½ minutes of the first quarter due to foul trouble, Garnett made up for lost time early in the second frame. He made three consecutive shots, kissing the last one off the glass on a turnaround, to ignite a 14-2 run that turned a four-point deficit into a 47-39 lead midway through the frame. The 76ers endured a 5-minute, 10-second span without a field goal, but Boston didn't relent even after a Lou Williams pull-up jumper ended the drought. Boston promptly embarked on a 14-4 burst that included six more points from KG (8 of 11, 17 points in the first half) and was capped by Mickael Pietrus' second 3-pointer of the game. A reverse layup from Rondo had the Celtics up 60-49 at the intermission. As ESPN Stats and Info noted, the Celtics didn't score their 60th point until 8:36 remaining in fourth quarter of offensively anemic Game 2.

BOLD PLAY OF THE GAME
After looking a step slow due to the sprained MCL in his left knee in Game 2, Pierce came out with sleeves over his knees, but was clearly feeling good, grunting and screaming with boundless energy every time he went to the rim. Despite playing all of the first quarter, he still had enough energy and bounce in his legs in the final two minutes to produce a pair of dunks, driving straight at the Philadelphia defense for a pair of jams in a 25-second span. It only lit the fuse for Pierce, who finished with 24 points on 6 of 17 shooting, but got to the line often while connecting on 11 of 14 freebies. He added 12 rebounds and 4 assists over 37 minutes.

VALUE THE BALL
Rondo gave the ball away less than a minute in, leading to an Iguodala dunk in transition. From then on, Boston took care of the basketball, turning it over just one other time in the first half (it did lead to an Iguodala 3-pointer). As those two giveaways showed, the 76ers can do a lot of damage off turnovers, but the Celtics did a phenomenal job taking care of the ball and giving themselves a chance to put points on the board. Boston finished with a mere 7 turnovers for 7 points.

C'S OFFENSE SHOWS UP EARLY; DEFENSE ARRIVES LATE
After all their offensive woes in the middle quarters of Game 2, the Celtics came out strong with both Rondo and Pierce attacking the basket. Boston put up 28 first-quarter points (or four more points than they scored in the second and third quarters of Game 2 combined), but still trailed 33-28 after the first frame as the 76ers shot 61.9 percent (and their bench was 6 of 7 for 13 points). C's hit five of their first seven shots in the second quarter to surge ahead 39-37 less than four minutes in and barely looked back.

LOOSE BALLS
With the game in hand, the Celtics were able to trot out the end of the bench for the final three minutes, running with a lineup of Keyon Dooling, Marquis Daniels, E'Twaun Moore, Sasha Pavlovic, and Ryan Hollins... Sixers legend Julius Erving delivered the official game ball to halfcourt before the opening tip... During one timeout, the JumboTron showed a handful of Philadelphia Eagles in attendance, including Michael Vick. All the players got cheers, but owner Jeffrey Lurie heard boos (it's worth noting that Patriots owner Robert Kraft got a standing ovation when shown back in Boston earlier in the series)... Ayla Brown, daughter of Massachusetts senator Scott Brown, sang the anthem before Wednesday's game in a Sixers shirt (she sings all the anthems here in Philly this season)... The 76ers handed out red T-shirts with their tagline, "Passionate. Intense. Proud." on themto fans before the game... Philadelphia's pregame meal featured a make-your-own-donut station (with bacon and candy topping options). The media thanks you.

WHAT IT MEANS
How can the Celtics look so offensively anemic one night, then two days later go out and put up triple digits on the road? That's the 2012 season in a nutshell. This team is frustratingly inconsistent on a night-to-night basis, but when they are on, they are on. Boston's offense was locked in all night Wednesday and, once the defense tightened up after the first quarter, the game was rarely close again. If the Celtics came here to steal back home-court advantage, then they are already playing with house money in Friday's Game 4. The Celtics stole that and momentum back by absolutely throttling the Sixers on their home turf. Of course, the question is whether they can carry it over to the next meeting. If they do, they could be headed back to Boston looking to close this series out.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME PHILLY GAME #3 Empty Re: POST GAME PHILLY GAME #3

Post by Matty Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 pm

beautiful game, and one that didnt cause my heart to suffer any more damege
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 17, 2012 12:58 am

The Truth, The Big Ticket, and the Walking Triple Double all showed up. The rest as they say, is history.

Great win....back on track.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu May 17, 2012 6:47 am

This victory was a product of great resolve and determination. All Celtic fans, players, and members of the organization can be proud of this win. It's the type of win that you wish you could bottle for future use. The series isn't over and it will take replications of this type of effort to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 17, 2012 7:00 am

POST GAME PHILLY GAME #3 Logo_f11
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu May 17, 2012 8:06 am

When the shots fall, things just seem a whole lot easier, like Doc said after we got the shots we wanted not the shots we had (like in game 2)

We attacted the rim time after time and although Philly shot well early we made them a jump shooting team as the game wore on, boarded well, ran well, shot well.

6 wins down............ 10 to go.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu May 17, 2012 10:03 am

Hi,
Last night I couldn't watch the 1st quarter but I followed the score on my iphone. When I saw 28-33 after the 1st (paraphrasing famous song) I said to myself - what a wonderful score, referring to 28 of course. 28 in a quarter meant we are hitting buckets.
Speaking of which. I couldn't help but notice an interesting trend. When Celtics score above 43-45% they win. Which means their defense much more consistent than offense.
Speaking of which. Last night there was a classical example of "preaching to the choir". TNT showed, during a timeout, Doc telling: "Guys, you have to play defense. Ray, play defense. Paul, play defense. Rondo, play defense".
Also, they need some slight. Remember what happened when Atl owner slighted KG. Before last game everybody was talking about how PP is crippled and can't play (myself including, but right now I'm talking about media). PP responded last night. Now, anyone has ideas how to slight RR and RA before Fri?

The only quiet player was AB. I hope his shoulder holds up.
It looked like RA server mostly as a decoy allowing others to get open shots.

A few more games like this, please!

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 17, 2012 11:42 am

In game 1 we survived by 1 point. Game 2 they escaped by 1 point. Not much question about last night's game.

61 points in the 24 minutes spanning the 2nd and 3rd quarters for the Celtics last night. We withered on the vine during the same period in game 2. Think they didn't remember that?

1. Kevin Garnett had his "Give me a break, I'm only human" game and then went back to being the 20-something throwback he's been for the past week or two. Can you imagine living in Minny and seeing this almost every night? I cannot think of a single thing that KG didn't do well. And all in a wonderfully few 30 minutes. GREAT time management by Doc. I'm starting to believe the scuttlebutt about KG retiring after this year. He's playing like every minute of every game is HUGE. Remember Havlicek's final game? Remember the second half, when he was everywhere, playing his heart out because he knew "this is it for me"? That's how KG is playing now. I hope I'm wrong. Tons of pride in KG. TONS. Celtic Pride. I love the way he has completely bought into the mystique.

2. It's starting to be clear to me that Pierce really has lost a lot of lift because of his knee. He just is not getting up quickly like he usually does but being the all-star and future HOFer he is he changed his game. He attacked the basket and went to the line a lot. Only 6-17 for a horribly Kobe-esque shooting night, but 11-14 from the line for 24 points. Considering we had 28 fta total, that means Pierce dominated that part of our game (that would be the part called "creating contact"). 12 boards, 5 of them offensive, 4 assists with no turnovers, 3 steals. Other than fg shooting a fantastic job by the Captain. On top of that he did a great job of defending Iggy, who finally had a bad night. He was due, having great games the first two games, and last night was good timing for us, but a great deal of that was Pierce staying with him. It seemed to me that a lot of Pierce's rebounds were rugged, in-traffic ones too. Not a lot of boxscore-filling-missed-freethrow rebounds by him, just fighting for and grabbing the big ones. Lots of pride by him too.

3. MrKleen referred to Rondo as "The Walking Triple Double". I know what he meant by that (I agree with the sentiment), and I wish he wouldn't walk so much, but he ran quite a bit last night. Not necessarily coast-to-coast, but he got the ball over halfcourt and into the halfcourt set quicker than usual. 21 fastbreak points for the Celtics and we know who fuels that. A +15 while his counterpart, Jrue Holliday, was a -15. That's delivering a lesson. Hell, Rondo was even 4-4 from the line! Man, when he's dialed in he is something else. Doc hasn't come up with the magic word that can keep him dialed in for 48 minutes every night, but if he ever does (or if Rondo ever grows up...) we will be a team to reckon for the next 8 years because we will be able to plug almost any player into the hub of that wheel and their game will elevate.

4. Their bench obliterated our bench. As long as our starters obliterate their starters, who cares? Their high-scorer was reserve Thaddeus Young with 22. Their 3rd high scorer was reserve Jodie Meeks, but a lot of those points were garbage time points and garbage time in this game should have started a lot sooner than it did. When Jrue Holliday is your #2 scorer with 15, you know you've done a good job of shutting the rest of the starters down.

5. Hollins is looking better. Steamer is looking worse. Steamer's timing is all off. I don't know if that's because of his foot, his reduced minutes, a confidence thing or what, but he's not the same player. Hollins, on the other hand, is starting to settle in. I still cringe when he has the ball, but I'm trying to control that reaction and look at his energy instead. Think happy thoughts, Bob, think happy thoughts. His 3 blocks filled the void created by an underperforming Steamer. Not to get too far ahead, but if/when we get past Philly should we see Sean Williams suiting up for the series against either Indiana or Miami instead of Steamer? I can't see Doc being happy with only getting 4 ineffective minutes out of Steamer regardless of why.

6. We shot 51%. We outrebounded them. We out-assisted them. We had 50 points in the paint vs 38 for them. Everyone got into that act. KG with jumpshots from 10', Pierce driving, Ray running off picks or fastbreaks and getting layups from Rondo, Rondo himself playing aggressively and attacking the iron, Bass dropping in his jumpers. It was beautiful. We had more fastbreaks than them. We beat them in virtually every phase of the game. Other than the last few minutes of garbage time, when they cut a 27 point lead down to a not-new-playoff-homecourt-record-loss 16 points, we basically owned them. In Philly. Other than the play of Young, there is very little Philly can come away with feeling good about here.

7. Bradley didn't score much but he played good defense. Evan Turner was only 1-10 for 4 points himself. Bradley got another block on the much bigger Turner again. That has to make Turner wonder "who the f--- is this kid?". Turner had 8 boards, to lead Philly. When your SG is the leading rebounder, you have issues. Then again, when Rondo gets a triple double I don't usually complain about our PG being one of if not the leading rebounder for us. I find something else to complain about.

8. Bass had a good game. He was 5-10, which is more like what we expect from him. His rebounding was a bit weak, only 5, but I'm ok with his overall performance last night, which is more than I can say playoffs-to-date. Let's hope his jitters or whatever are now quelled and behind him.

9. Elton Brand, 33 years old, is looking Ray Allen's age. He's crafty in the lane, but he is slow. Ray Allen, 36 years old, ankle spurs and all, is looking Elton Brand's age. Ray is being used a lot as a decoy, but that's ok. Dragging the defense out to the 3pt line has value too, even if you don't shoot. What's important is that they respect and fear your shot and everybody respects and fears a hot Ray Allen. Under-noticed in Ray's game is the way he grabs boards and adds coherency to the offense when the ball is in his hands. I prefer him moving without the ball, he is the most effective player in the league doing that, but if Rondo isn't in there quarterbacking then I'm quite content to let Ray do it.

They needed a split in Boston. They got it. We needed a split in Philly. We got it. We got THE BIG MO back and the pressure is dropping squarely on them. Obviously, they MUST win the next game but more than that, I think they have to win BIG. If they just eke out a victory in game 4 we'll come back to Boston and bury them and then they have to sweep the rest of the series and I don't see that happening.

We're baaaaack!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 am

KG, in his post-game interview:

“After (Game 2) I came in and just said, ‘We’re not going to beat anybody — JV teams or high school teams — if we were not going to play together,” Kevin Garnett said. “We’ve worked so hard to get to where we’re at and we got there together. Ubuntu — we’ve been preaching that since I’ve been here. I had to just remind the guys, including the younger guys, so the new guys on how we succeed here and the creed, Celtics basketball and what we are here. I just had to reiterate that.”

KG preaching Ubuntu. Doc's gift, from the 2008 season, that just keeps on giving.

I'm sure that when KG actually said this in the locker room there were a few more expletives in there. Just a few.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu May 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Doug Collins in his post game comments to the media intimated that the way Boston played maybe the C's had their eye on the other series due to the Bosh injury, and that the C's were trying to make quick work of his Sixers with that in mind. This is just another way of playing the Disrespect card. If I were in Collins' shoes, I would have done the same thing. It's like saying to his team, "See how bad they beat you. Now you're a non factor to them." It will be interesting if Collins' remarks prime the psyche of his team for a better Sixer effort on Friday. Chances are they will play better. Even if the C's play well, it will be difficult to play as well as Wednesday night. I'd look for a closer contest on Friday night. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu May 17, 2012 12:47 pm

sinus007 wrote:
Also, they need some slight. Remember what happened when Atl owner slighted KG. Before last game everybody was talking about how PP is crippled and can't play (myself including, but right now I'm talking about media). PP responded last night. Now, anyone has ideas how to slight RR and RA before Fri?

we could always dig deep and look back over at bdc and find all of "old stools" comments about how danny ainge ruined the celtics in 08 by trading our lotto pick for an over the hill bad ankled ray allen..

in fact i'd be willing to bet that he's still there now claiming that Rays condition now 5 yrs later validates the points he made back then..

then we get sam to use some of his old time celtic connections to somehow get those comments printed and taped to his locker...

The Ray goes nuts in game 4 and nails 11 3's goes 9-9 at the line and grabs 16 rebounds.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu May 17, 2012 1:04 pm

Matty:

I go along with all your stats except Ray would have to go so nuts he'd need a straight jacket to pull down 16 boards.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 17, 2012 1:58 pm

I wouldn't mind your prediction, Matty. I'd love it if Ray went off real big on Friday night.

He was open many times last night, just never got into the flow of the offense much, but, with the way Garnett, Rondo and Pierce were playing, he wasn't needed. But, after the game Pierce had, he could be feeling it today so, they may need him.

Let them all talk, even Kenny Smith during half time, all we saw were Philadelphia replays, no Celtic replays. The only one on the Celtics side was Barkley. The Celtics don't need any of them to play well, they need each other.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 pm

As an aside.....Ryan Hollins is playing REALLY well. Very good pick up at the deadline and much better than lots of other guys that Danny passed on.

Love this team man...they are the personification of Celtic Pride. Very proud to drive around Boston with my Celtics license plate every day - but even more so on days like today when the team really shows what wearing the shamrock really means.

Red must be smiling down Smile
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 pm

What improved Ryan Hollis game was he played pick-up ball last summer and fall in LA with both Pierce and Garnett, and they both helped him on his defensive part of his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 17, 2012 2:46 pm

112288 wrote:What improved Ryan Hollis game was he played pick-up ball last summer and fall in LA with both Pierce and Garnett, and they both helped him on his defensive part of his game.

Good to know. I didn't. That would explain why those two were banging on Danny's door to pick him up at the deadline. I had no idea how he got on Danny's radar screen, no I do. Thanks.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 17, 2012 2:51 pm

I pulled a Bob Heckler, and my wife and I watched the game in a bar with friends. While they all like the Celtics, they're not rabid fans. So they're not averse to giving me a little jab when they can.

A lot of jabbing early in the game. I just smiled. Begrudging silence in the second quarter. I just smiled. Disbelieving silence in the third quarter—more like a collective intake of wind. I just smiled. They all left early in the fourth quarter. I just smiled. But not after telling them, "I know a bunch of guys, and one woman, who are extremely excited right now." Then I just smiled....all the way home and probably through the night. Still smiling now.

Smiling Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 17, 2012 2:51 pm

And they're proud of this guy? I'm never going to eat another Philly cheesesteak in my life.

POST GAME PHILLY GAME #3 6a01156f2c3287970c0163059caf81970d-600wi

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Here are some pick and roll videos. Our pick-and-roll defense was excellent last night. I cut-and-pasted this from celticshub.com, who apparently have access to Synergy Sports' website. Danny uses them for analysis.

The play begins with Andre Iguodala taking a screen from Spencer Hawes at the top of the three-point line. Instead of showing hard then rotating back to his man, as Garnett tends to do, he stays in front of Iguodala, helping Pierce trap him on the wing. From Iguodala’s point of view, the smartest option here is throwing the ball back to a wide open Hawes, who catches it about a foot in front of the three-point line.

This is where Garnett shows why he’s such an incredible basketball player. By sliding across the lane to contest what would be a wide open jumper, Garnett forces Philly’s center to put the ball on the floor from 20-feet away. When discussing all things disgusting, Spencer Hawes driving to the basket ranks at the top of my list. Bass then rotates from his man to contest the shot, as Ray Allen and Pierce crash the lane, positioning themselves for a possible rebound. The result? Bass makes Hawes wish he never picked up a basketball, and Keyon Dooling goes the other way for a quick layup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nJ-Z1ImOgTA

This second play is similar, except Lou Williams is handling the ball instead of Iguodala. Williams receives a screen from Hawes and dribbles right into a trap by Rondo and Garnett. Lost and possibly dazed, Williams throws the ball back to Hawes, who’s standing behind the three-point line and wants no part of the action. He quickly swings it to Holiday—also standing behind the three-point line and well covered by Avery Bradley—and the Sixers try a pick and pop on the opposite side of the floor with two different players.

This was Philadelphia’s adjustment, but unfortunately for them, things don’t go so well. As Holiday comes off the screen, he’s greeted by a sagging Pierce, who can’t afford to be over aggressive on the play because his man is the much more dangerous Thaddeus Young. (Pierce also doesn’t have to trap because Bradley easily gets past Young’s screen, making it look as if nothing was ever set.)

Instead of forcing the issue and attacking, Holiday throws it back to a popping Young. The shot clock is now at six, and Young is forced to go one on one with Pierce, driving his body into the teeth of Boston’s treacherous defense with predictable results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP-pTm6it9Y&feature=player_embedded

The previous two clips show awesome focus and commitment to what it was Doc Rivers wanted his team to do, but this one here is my personal favorite (Note: This is a cut-and-paste. It is the author's personal favorite) Holiday takes a screen from Hawes and before Garnett can even come up to trap, the ball is out of his hands, back to Hawes. This is Philly playing right into what the Celtics want. They’re up by 10 in the first half, and already their concentration is cracking.

Holiday quickly comes back to get the ball to receive another screen from Hawes, going in the opposite direction, but the Celtics don’t seem to care. Garnett and Rondo chase down Holiday until he reluctantly throws the ball back to the always-ignored Hawes. Another jumper is missed, and another transition opportunity for the Celtics is created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-WZQG93r6w&feature=player_embedded

Here’s where the mental toll for Philadelphia has reached its breaking point. Lou Williams holds the ball with a little under three seconds separating the shot and game clock. Instead of milking it down to prevent Boston from getting the half’s final shot, Elton Brand comes up to set a screen with nine seconds on the shot clock, and 11.5 seconds left in the half. With a head start, Williams tries to blow by Ryan Hollins in an attempt to get to the basket.

Once again, tragedy strikes for the Sixers. Williams misses the layup, Bradley grabs the rebound, and Rondo finds himself with nearly seven seconds to race the length of the court and get a final shot off. We’ve seen Rondo cover this type of ground in half that time throughout his career, so to nobody’s surprise he gets there with more than enough time to spare, and finishes with a nifty reverse layup to give the Celtics an 11 point halftime lead. Beautiful.

Boston lost Game 2 in part because they couldn’t impose their will on Philly’s ball-handlers. They looked like a confused team, allowing opposing guards to do as they pleased. Last night we saw a different Celtics team; a more focused group that executed their plan to near perfection. This is the team we’re more familiar with seeing, and this is the team that needs to show up night in and night out if Boston has any chance at raising their 18th banner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=driQ82lGBXU&feature=player_embedded

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 pm

bobheckler wrote:And they're proud of this guy? I'm never going to eat another Philly cheesesteak in my life.

bob

think he need like 100 colonics

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:And they're proud of this guy? I'm never going to eat another Philly cheesesteak in my life.

bob

omg, image that was part of quite a long discusion with my wife last night.. that and the bit where the camera dood closed in on collins when it looked like he was... icthing the indie of his nose- anyone else catch that?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Professor Garnett's newest pupil
April, 6, 2012

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Kevin Garnett offered a 1-on-1 lesson to newcomer Ryan Hollins following a rare Celtics practice earlier this week. The two have been fast friends -- something Garnett admitted recently doesn't happen often for him -- first bonding during offseason workouts in Southern California and now as late-season teammates.

The fact that Garnett is willing to put in time to help a younger player develop his game isn't new. In recent seasons, Garnett could be seen spending time after practice with the likes of Semih Erden or Luke Harangody. Earlier this season we often saw Garnett tutoring JaJuan Johnson. Garnett is always eager to help, but the other player has to be receptive to his lessons (Patrick O'Bryant, for instance, is often cited as the poster child for those that tuned out and were quickly dismissed from Professor Garnett's class).

As Rivers noted earlier this week: "He [teaches] the guys he likes. He’s clearly taken a liking to [Hollins]. He loves how verbal he is in practice, he thinks he has a chance to be a great pick-and-roll defender. You can actually see that. With Kevin, every new guy, he gives you about two or three chances and, if you listen and follow, he’ll teach you every day. If he thinks that you’re disinterested, that’s probably the last lesson that you’ll get, and that’s probably the best lesson you’ll get, too, if you’re willing to figure that out.

"Like I said, he’s a great teammate. That’s what he does."

Rivers has often kidded Garnett about how he'd make a great coach after his playing days, but isn't sure his trademark intensity would translate to the sideline. Rivers said he's positive Garnett gives quality hands-on lessons at his position.

"Better than his coach, I can tell you that," said Rivers. "He’s a terrific teacher. I kid him, he would be a great coach. But I don’t know if I’d want any of that."

Hollins has plenty of room to grow. He got extended floor time in Chicago on Thursday evening, but failed to grab a rebound in 13 minutes. Even still, it's clear that Garnett likes the intangibles and believes he can get the productivity out of him through hard work.

Garnett has often gushed about the work ethic of the young players in the Celtics' locker room this season. He raves about the development of Avery Bradley, lovingly calls rookie Greg Stiemsma the "Steamboat," and clearly likes the intensity and untapped overall potential of Hollins. Rivers thinks that positive locker room vibe can translate to the court in a condensed season.

"[Garnett] does [like the young players]," said Rivers. "Our locker room is good, it’s terrific. Avery, E’Twaun [Moore], JaJuan -- it’s just a good, refreshing locker room. It really is, it’s a fun group. When you go to practice, when you’re on the bus or on the plane with them, you really like being with them. And in this year, that may correlate into wins, because this is a hard year. It really helps when you like being around guys. And I think this year, has been a terrific year in that way."

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Brian Scalabrine the "White Mamba" has the Power2Switch

GOTTA SEE THIS ONE...........112288

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIBLFO0VFYM

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 17, 2012 5:05 pm

112288 wrote:Brian Scalabrine the "White Mamba" has the Power2Switch

GOTTA SEE THIS ONE...........112288

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIBLFO0VFYM

That's funny!

This is what you get when you spend all your time on the bench, you come up with stuff like this.

What the hell, if Kobe can give himself his own nickname, why not Scal?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Bob,

You are right. I bet he becomes the Celtic announcer after Tom Heinsohn retires. Also Tom T. coach of Chicago said Scal could be a great coach.......Hmmmmmmmmm..wishful thinking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next