Wanted: Bench support - DRAFT POTENTIALS

2 posters

Go down

Wanted: Bench support - DRAFT POTENTIALS Empty Wanted: Bench support - DRAFT POTENTIALS

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:31 am

BOSTON HAROLD

By Dan Duggan

Scorers should be there for C’s

In their season-ending loss to the Miami Heat in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, the Celtics [team stats] received a grand total of two points from their bench. It would be an understatement to suggest that the team’s second unit could use some reinforcements.

The Celtics could boost their bench through the June 28 draft, as they should be able to land a scoring threat with one of their first-round picks (Nos. 21 and 22).

Obviously it would be a home run if the Celtics draft a perennial sixth man of the year candidate like Oklahoma City’s James Harden or San Antonio’s Manu Ginobili, but they would also benefit greatly if they can find an explosive scorer like Philadelphia’s Lou Williams or Portland’s Jamal Crawford.

General manager Danny Ainge hasn’t drafted a wing scorer since using the 30th pick in the 2008 draft on J.R. Giddens, who lasted just two seasons in the league. Ainge will have another crack at it this year, as there should be a solid crop of perimeter players available when the Celtics choose.

If scoring is the top priority, Memphis sophomore Will Barton might be the best option. The 6-foot-6, 174-pounder makes up for his lack of size with the ability to score in a variety of ways.

Barton averaged 18 points per game last season, displaying an ability to shoot, get to the basket and finish in transition. He has the requisite length for an NBA wing, but needs to add strength.

“Will Barton is a wild card,” an NBA talent evaluator said. “He’s a long, skinny kid but he’s a scorer.”

Vanderbilt swingman Jeffery Taylor is more of a proven commodity. He was a steady contributor in each of his four seasons at Vandy, averaging 16.1 points as a senior. Taylor grew up in Sweden, where his father, Jeff, played professionally after a brief NBA career.

The 6-7, 213-pound Taylor has good athleticism, which will allow him to score in transition and should make him a capable NBA defender. He wasn’t an outside threat when he arrived at Vanderbilt, but shot 42.3 percent from 3-point range last season. He already has worked out for the Celtics.

“He’s got good size and he’s a proven player,” the scout said. “The question is if the kid can shoot. I’m not sure if he’ll be able to make the NBA 3.”

If the Celtics are after a shooter, they got a look at one yesterday, as Kentucky sophomore Doron Lamb worked out for the team. The 6-5 sharpshooter connected on 46.6 percent of his 3-pointers for the national champions last season.

Before he’s penciled in as Ray Allen’s successor, there are some questions about Lamb. The biggest concern is that he’s a bit of a ‘tweener,’ as he lacks point guard skills and could struggle defending bigger shooting guards.

“He can shoot, but I don’t really see it with this kid,” the scout said. “I think he was helped by the way Kentucky plays offense. Some people seem to get seduced by the name on the front of the jersey.”

Moe Harkless might be a bit of a longshot for the Celtics considering he is projected to get scooped up before they pick. But if the St. John’s swingman is available, he could be an intriguing prospect for the Celtics.

Harkless, who worked out for the C’s earlier in the month, averaged 15.3 points in his one season at St. John’s. He has great size for a small forward, measuring almost 6-9 with a 7-foot wingspan. He didn’t display much range at St. John’s (20.2 percent on 3-pointers), but used his athleticism to score.

“Moe Harkless is a bit of a mystery,” the scout said. “He’s got a lot of potential, but he’s young and hasn’t really put it all together yet.”

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Bench support - DRAFT POTENTIALS Empty Re: Wanted: Bench support - DRAFT POTENTIALS

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 am

I saw a few St Johns games this year and thought they were kinda boring, watched alittle, not even whole game was so bored, saw at least a half a few times I think, was very non descript.....then later read Mo's name on draft boards, I missed him, didn't even notice him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Bench support - DRAFT POTENTIALS Empty Re: Wanted: Bench support - DRAFT POTENTIALS

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 am

I have seen Hark play several times. he does have a way of finding the paint. He is a wild card. Could be great, could be a bust.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down