Ainge not expecting 'transcendent' player

5 posters

Go down

Ainge not expecting 'transcendent' player Empty Ainge not expecting 'transcendent' player

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:36 pm

ESPNBOSTON
June, 21, 2012

By Greg Payne | ESPNBoston.com

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge is tapering his expectations for the June 28 NBA draft, telling Boston sports radio WEEI (93.7 FM) that he is not expecting the Celtics, who currently own the 21st and 22nd overall picks, to come away with any "transcendent" players.

"[The draft is] not that deep, no," Ainge said Wednesday afternoon. "It won't have as many transcendent players as [the 2003] draft had. But I think when people say it's deep, I think that you might get a player that can break into your rotation at 30 or 40 in the draft. That's unusual, but this draft, it might be that you get some good players. I think that we're going to get two good players, but not transcendent players -- players that might be starters someday, players that might come off the bench and contribute, but probably not stars."

While there's been chatter that Ainge would be interested in packaging his picks in order to move higher up in the draft, he said it's unlikely the Celtics' two first-round selections would be enough to vault them into the lottery.

"It's not likely," Ainge said of being able to trade his two picks to garner a spot in the top 10. "That's too high of a move. Typically, maybe in the middle, 16, 17, 15, that's really all you get. ... But that's not even certain. I mean, that usually happens on draft day if there's a team that all of a sudden, they lose out on a player they really liked. So those are the draft day contingencies that you have to be prepared for."

Ainge also discussed the balancing act of weighing the upside and downside of certain players, such as the younger players who might not be ready to contribute right away and the more experienced players who might not develop more in the future.

"You do bet on some of the upside, but there's also downside. You don't just bet on the upside of a player," Ainge said. "So we'll be looking. In this draft, there's a variety of players, there's freshmen that aren't ready to play in the NBA right now and contribute, and then there are seniors who are a little bit more ready, but they've probably hit their ceiling. They probably aren't going to be anything special, but be your seventh man on your team, so you have to weigh the options."

Recent reports have indicated that Boston is interested in Ohio State forward Jared Sullinger, despite the fact that he's been medically red flagged by NBA doctors for a back problem. Ainge said he'll be reviewing Sullinger's medical information later this week and offered praise for the power forward's overall game.

"Sullinger's been a terrific player everywhere he's been," Ainge said. "He was a dominant high school player and a dominant player in the Big Ten as a freshman and sophomore. I don't know anything about the medical stuff. I will know that. As a matter of fact, we're meeting this week on all of our doctor's medical reports that they've accumulated. So, I don't know any of that. But, based on, let's just assume that he is healthy and clean, or his issue is a minor issue that can be rectified, I think that he has a terrific future -- very solid big guy that can pass, shoot, think, and rebound."

Ainge also made it seem unlikely that the Celtics would have a shot at drafting Duke guard Austin Rivers -- son of Celtics coach Doc Rivers -- but that an NBA union between father and son in the future isn't out of the question.

"Yes, [Rivers] could play for his old man," Ainge said. "I think that he's going to be a top 10 pick and I think he has a very bright future.

Back to top Go down

Ainge not expecting 'transcendent' player Empty Re: Ainge not expecting 'transcendent' player

Post by gyso Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:03 pm

So, "transcendent" is Danny's term for "Difference Maker (TM)"? (LOL)

Back to top Go down

Ainge not expecting 'transcendent' player Empty Re: Ainge not expecting 'transcendent' player

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Sounds on the mark with most expectations. If anything it appears Danny's trying to preach sanity.

Given the players that should be available, barring a trade, I would think we'll get at least one who can contribute a little right away. Especially if he's a big. It seems very possible that there could even be a center or power forward available at 20 or 21 that might be starter quality in a season or two; maybe even a two-guard. As Ainge said, maybe not stars but at least potential starters. Nothing wrong with that.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:06 pm

gyso wrote:So, "transcendent" is Danny's term for "Difference Maker (TM)"? (LOL)

Danny obviously either hasn't gotten your memo or doesn't want to pay a royalty!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:Sounds on the mark with most expectations. If anything it appears Danny's trying to preach sanity.

Given the players that should be available, barring a trade, I would think we'll get at least one who can contribute a little right away. Especially if he's a big. It seems very possible that there could even be a center or power forward available at 20 or 21 that might be starter quality in a season or two; maybe even a two-guard. As Ainge said, maybe not stars but at least potential starters. Nothing wrong with that.

NYCelt,

From what I have read, the "talent in this draft is pretty level in the 16-24 range". Trading 20 and 21 for something in the high teens is a waste. Having two picks in this range allows Danny to make a safe pick and a risky one.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:41 pm

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Sounds on the mark with most expectations. If anything it appears Danny's trying to preach sanity.

NYCelt,

From what I have read, the "talent in this draft is pretty level in the 16-24 range". Trading 20 and 21 for something in the high teens is a waste. Having two picks in this range allows Danny to make a safe pick and a risky one.

gyso

risky pick.... fab melo
safe pick..... his professor

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:19 pm

beat wrote:
gyso wrote:

NYCelt,

gyso

risky pick.... fab melo
safe pick..... his professor

beat

beat,

Rumors are that Melo is impressing coaches with his workout. He might move up. That could be a good thing because, if a risky pick moves up and safer pick will get pushed down. Maybe even to us.

The names that keep coming up are: Fab Melo, Moe Harkless, Andrew Nicholson and Royce White. I saw one mock draft where Perry Jones gets pushed down to us. Most have him going mid-1st round, in between the end of the lottery picks and #20. Draftexpress has him going @ #15 to Philly, mynbadraft.com has him going @ #17 and hoopshype has him dropping to us @ #21. His game reminds me of JJJ's, but maybe without the defensive intensity. There's a draftexpress NBA video at the draftexpress page...

http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Perry-Jones-5713/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Bob

I know that I am not ot keen on Melo however he has had only limited basketball experience and did not play at any level till about 5 years ago. Did not speak any English till 2 years ago. Now he speaks it quite well, saw a recent interview with him local TV. Seemed very upset about what happened in College with his grades that he let slide, seemed sincere but I hear an awful lot of "sincerity" from people I work with, then they go out and prove they are not.

The upside might be really high for him. Think his faults in hoops might be just because of SU's system and his lack of "knowledge" as much as anything. Working under Doc and KG will certainly help to overcome those and might just give us something in a couple years, I just don't see anything meaningful from him for a year at least perhaps 2. (if ever)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Another name I saw over at CelticsBlog is Jared Sullinger. He has been red-flagged by doctors, so he may slide down in the draft. I don't know if he will slide enough for us, but who knows?

I guess he has back issues, due to one of his legs being 1" longer than the other. I don't see what's wrong with that, at least they both reach the ground! (LOL)

I thing the joke being bandied about is:

A big with health issues? Danny Ainge is in hot persuit!!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:26 pm

beat wrote:Bob

I know that I am not ot keen on Melo however he has had only limited basketball experience and did not play at any level till about 5 years ago. Did not speak any English till 2 years ago. Now he speaks it quite well, saw a recent interview with him local TV. Seemed very upset about what happened in College with his grades that he let slide, seemed sincere but I hear an awful lot of "sincerity" from people I work with, then they go out and prove they are not.

The upside might be really high for him. Think his faults in hoops might be just because of SU's system and his lack of "knowledge" as much as anything. Working under Doc and KG will certainly help to overcome those and might just give us something in a couple years, I just don't see anything meaningful from him for a year at least perhaps 2. (if ever)

beat

beat,

I happen to know quite a few cops (mostly retired now) and I hear the years of "working with mutts" in their voice and their attitudes. It's an occupational hazard, I suppose.

I'm not a big college sports fan, as I have mentioned, but even so I'm not a big fan of Jim Boeheim. Phenomenal recruiter, which is critical in college since you are almost constantly in rebuilding mode, but I'm not a fan of his system either. No english might be a problem too. Regular IQ doesn't necessarily translate into basketball IQ (and it certainly doesn't work in the opposite direction, witness Sebastian Telfair, Allan Iverson, "Bad News" Barnes and Shawn Kemp just to name a few) but I'd say Melo's ability to learn english as a young adult from zero through total immersion says something about his learning skills. Having to think, and translate in your head, what a teammate just yelled at you will slow you down.

Still, as I have said before, I'm inclined to accept your judgment. You've got good basketball IQ (and regular IQ).

I agree about what you're saying about his not being very useful for a couple of years. He's still in the early stages of his learning curve, but can you imagine? A legit 7-footer who is a defensive monster in green?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Fab Melo Biography

Basketball Player Fab Melo

Fabricio De Melo (Fab Melo) was born on June 20th, 1990. Originally from Belo Horizonte, the capital and largest city in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais, he started playing soccer at an early age like most Brazilian boys, but when he reached 6 foot 8 inches in the ninth grade, his soccer coach sent him to the basketball coach of the school and at 14 he started playing basketball, eventually landing a spot on Brazil’s 17-and-under youth national team. Now standing 7 feet tall and weighing in at 265 pounds it was a good choice for Fab Melo.

Though he was widely successful in Brazil, he knew he had to take his game to the next level, and that meant moving to the United States. He had some family in southern Florida so in July of 2009 he moved to Weston, right before his junior year of high school. Weston is located about 20 miles from Fort Lauderdale, right on the eastern edges of the everglades. He attended The Sagemont School, a well-respected college preparatory school with a great reputation for accommodating international students, and played for their school basketball team the Lions.

Adam Ross, the coach of the Lions, was blown away by his skill at an open practice but at first had trouble remembering Fabricio’s name. After the star center showed his undeniable skill, his coach came up with a solution: shorten the name to Fab. Due to his international status and the transfer regulations of the Florida High School Athletic Association, he wasn’t allowed to play basketball in his junior year, so he sat out the season and worked out on his own, perfecting his technique. When it came time for his senior year Fab Melo soon became a sensation at basketball practices and after competing with the Florida Rams at the King James Classic in Akron, Ohio, Ross saw 30 or so head coaches come in, including John Calipari of Kentucky, Jim Calhoun of UConn, Jim Boeheim of Syracuse, Billy Donovan of Florida and Leonard Hamilton of Florida State, all to watch him play. In his senior season at the Sagemont School he averaged 15 points, 11.3 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks per game.

The coaches started to recruit and woo Fab Melo over the course of the months leading up to his graduation and when he accepted his diploma in June of 2010 he had made up his mind to sign with Syracuse. Melo was bowled over by Syracuse’s facilities and developed a tight bond with Jim Boeheim, the coach of the Orange, so when the time came to hear the offer, he accepted the full scholarship much to his family’s delight back in Brazil. After arriving in the upstate New York town without a stitch of winter clothing, which receives an average of 121.2 inches of snow each year due to the lake effect from nearby Lake Ontario, Fab Melo saw his first snowfall there and had to adjust quickly to the differences in climate from his previous sunny Florida and Belo Horizonte homes.

When he started out with the Orange, Fab Melo was averaging about 2.0 points and 1.8 rebounds per game but he powered through it and is now averaging 7.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. Melo’s hard work is tempered with a prankster attitude and a keen ability to not take things too seriously. His coach is not an easy man to please and his presence on the team has been a huge challenge to Boeheim and his staff, possibly the largest individual challenge in 35 years of coaching. His teammates say he is constantly cracking jokes and trying to make everyone laugh. Despite his great work ethic life hasn’t been easy for Fab Melo, as learning English as a second language has made attending a top-ranking university academically difficult. His academic struggles have caused him to miss games with the Orange, though he continues to practice through it all.

Throughout his time playing basketball Fab Melo has had many personal goals. Besides playing one day in the NBA, when he learned that Brazil would be hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio De Janeiro he was ecstatic and has started planning an ultimate homecoming as a member of Brazil’s Olympic basketball team.

Also:

Summary

Fabricio Paulino de Melo was born in June 1990 … He is the son of Regina Paulino … Melo is enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences ... Scored 11 points on a career-high five field goals made against MANHATTAN and grabbed a career-high nine rebounds ... Had eight points on 4-for-5 shooting from the floor and added seven rebounds against ALBANY ... Blocked a career-high five shots against VIRGINIA TECH in the NIT Season Tip Off semifinal ... Tied a career-high with nine rebounds, scored six points and played a career-high 32 minutes against STANFORD in the NIT Season Tip Off championship game ... Scored nine points on 4-for-5 shooting from the floor, grabbed five rebounds, had one block and one steal against FLORIDA ... Tallied nine points, had four rebounds and blocked four shots against MARSHALL ... Had eight points, six rebounds and three blocks against GEORGE WASHINGTON...Tailled 8 points and grabbed 9 rebounds against BUCKNELL...Matched two career-highs with 12 points and 10 blocks to go with seven rebounds against SETON HALL...Tied a career-high with 12 points on a career-high six made field goals, grabbed five rebounds and blocked six shots against DEPAUL...Tailled six points, eight rebounds and one assist against MARQUETTE ... Grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds to go with 10 points and six blocks against PITTSBURGH ... Had a career high 14 points on 5-for-6 shooting, along with three rebounds and two blocks against ST.JOHN'S ... Scored 11 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked six shots against GEORGETOWN ... Had eight points,, three rebounds and three blocks against CONNECTICUT ... Tallied 11 points and had six rebounds against LOUISVILLE ... Scored 10 points, grabbed six rebounds and blocked two shots against RUTGERS ... Had four points, six rebounds and six blocks against USF ... Tallied 11 points, nine rebounds, three blocks and two assists against CONNECTICUT.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fab-melo

Interactive Map:

http://www.maplandia.com/brazil/minas-gerais/

Hint: Use your scroll wheel to zoom in, Use "pick, hold and drag" to move.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down