Report: Celts to take Royce White at No. 21

5 posters

Go down

Report: Celts to take Royce White at No. 21 Empty Report: Celts to take Royce White at No. 21

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:13 am

ESPNBOSTON.COM

NBA Draft guru Chad Ford noted earlier this evening that Iowa State forward Royce White had pulled out of his remaining workouts and, given that he has no apparent injury, it raised speculation that a team had promised to draft him in the middle-to-late portion of next week's draft.

Later, Ford Tweeted that the promise is likely from the Celtics, who have back-to-back picks (Nos. 21 and 22). Ford has often had White pegged as a potential Celtics selection in recent mock drafts.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
CSNNE.com STAFF REPORT - Chad Ford
FOLLOW ON TWITTER @CSNNEWENGLAND

First came the word that Royce White may have sparked a particular team's interest for next week's NBA Draft:

Looks like a team may have promised Royce White. He's pulled out of all remaining workouts and gone silent. Not injured.

And then came word that the team is none other than . . .

More on Royce White. Now hearing more definitely promise is from Celtics at 21.

A 6-foot-8 power forward, White, 21, has suffered from both medical issues (anxiety disorders) and disciplinary issues (charged twice with theft at the University of Minnesota, after which he transferred to Iowa State). Last year he was the only player in the nation to lead his team in points (13.4 per game), rebounds (9.3), assists (5.0), steals (1.1) and blocks (0.9) per game.

112288 ------ NOT SURE YOU WANT TO DRAFT A GUY WHO STEALS UNLESS ITS ON THE COURT!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SCOUTING REPORT ROYCE WHITE

Projection: Late first round (Insider rank: 23rd overall; Position rank: 5)

In the News: White hails from Minnesota, and 1500ESPN Twin Cities caught up with him and learned more about an anxiety disorder that he suffers from, which reportedly includes a fear of flying, which has been a turn-off to some teams who've eyed White as a possible prospect.

"They have a lot of questions about it, but at the same time, I am 100 percent honest," White told 1500ESPN's Dana Wessel. "I just tell them what I know, which is not much. I've only had it for three years, so I am still learning (about) it and everybody is still learning. I tell them what I know and be honest."

Why the Celtics Want Him: White is a very athletic and aggressive player, who thrives in the open court. In other words, he'd be a great asset on the fast break with the likes of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley. While White is still very much a work in progress, particularly on the offensive end (he shot less than 50 percent from the free throw line in his only season at Iowa State), he's lauded as a terrific rebounder for his size and position. Rebounding has been a pitfall for Boston over the last few seasons, and bringing in a small forward prospect who can rebound like a power forward wouldn't be a bad move for a team in need of that kind of production.

Why the Celtics Don't Want Him: We've been saying for what feels like a decade now that next year is the year the Celtics will fall into a rebuilding mode of sorts, but Danny Ainge always finds a way to have his team back in contention. If that remains the case once again for the 2012-2013 campaign, and they take a flier out on a young player, they might want someone who's more polished on the offensive end who can help them avoid extended scoring droughts. Additionally, if the C's are once again contenders, it'll most likely be a roster of primarily proven veterans, and White has had some off-the-court troubles, and even though he's been up front about his anxiety disorder, the uncertainty over it could deter Boston. The Celtics won't be looking for any baggage if they're making another run for their 18th banner.

Back to top Go down

Report: Celts to take Royce White at No. 21 Empty Re: Report: Celts to take Royce White at No. 21

Post by dboss Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:54 am

This is Charles Barkley without a jump shot.

Character issue with the thefts ...could he be suffering from an anxiety disorder and kleptomania?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Report: Celts to take Royce White at No. 21 Empty Re: Report: Celts to take Royce White at No. 21

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am

I have only seen the Mike Schmidt NBA draft video at draftexpress.com, which I have posted the link to on another thread, but based upon that I agree with dboss. He's a poor man's Charles Barkley without a jumpshot (or free throws). Great courtvision, outstanding fullcourt ballhandler (that's the Barkley part). 6'8", 260+#, 7'0" wingspan.

Jumpshooting can be learned. Look at Rondo, and how much his has improved this year. It takes discipline, a good mechanics coach and dedication.

As far as the non-hoop issues go, I did some "not very smart" things when I was in college too. Then, I graduated and realized that this was for real now and that there would be indelible consequences of certain actions, and I stopped. In other words, when the risks outweighed the benefits there was no good reason for continuing to act that way. He's the BMOC at Iowa State. He'll be "the rook" on the classiest franchise in the NBA, a club that has been known to move players that don't behave themselves and bring disgrace to the green.

If you haven't watched the draftexpress video, I highly recommend it. Very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=usQJQi3IiE0

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:25 pm

I realize that most athletes, when they're being interviewed, fairly carefully weigh what they say—some more than others. But, as someone who has conducted more than 6,000 in-depth psychological/sociological interviews for a living, I have pretty good confidence in my ability to read people—even on video.

This guy comes across as not only willing but even anxious to discuss his anxiety problem openly, including the fact that he expects to work very hard to mitigate it. He also has a point when he says that fear of flying on a commercial jet with a bunch of strangers is quite different than flying with one's coach and teammates. Just the fact that, when he was asked how he'd describe his shooting, he said, "Mediocre" convinced me that he's not the type who refuses to recognize his shortcomings, but he is the type who's just itching to get on with overcoming them.

Things like court sense, court vision, and ball distribution instincts are often difficult-to-impossible to teach; but, as BobH says, shooting can be an acquired skill with the proper attitude and work ethic. In the meantime, it's nice to be tearing opponents apart under both hoops.

He's apparently only average on defense despite his steal and block statistics. I've said elsewhere that I strongly believe that, once a smart player catches onto the Celtics team defensive scheme, it's actually easier to play than good man-to-man defense.

They may get him; they may not. But, as I've stated numerous times, I'm interested more in a player's assets than in his remediable liabilities.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey Sam,

With his fear of flying....Do you think he wears AIR JORDON'S!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 pm

sam wrote:I realize that most athletes, when they're being interviewed, fairly carefully weigh what they say—some more than others. But, as someone who has conducted more than 6,000 in-depth psychological/sociological interviews for a living, I have pretty good confidence in my ability to read people—even on video.

This guy comes across as not only willing but even anxious to discuss his anxiety problem openly, including the fact that he expects to work very hard to mitigate it. He also has a point when he says that fear of flying on a commercial jet with a bunch of strangers is quite different than flying with one's coach and teammates. Just the fact that, when he was asked how he'd describe his shooting, he said, "Mediocre" convinced me that he's not the type who refuses to recognize his shortcomings, but he is the type who's just itching to get on with overcoming them.

Things like court sense, court vision, and ball distribution instincts are often difficult-to-impossible to teach; but, as BobH says, shooting can be an acquired skill with the proper attitude and work ethic. In the meantime, it's nice to be tearing opponents apart under both hoops.

He's apparently only average on defense despite his steal and block statistics. I've said elsewhere that I strongly believe that, once a smart player catches onto the Celtics team defensive scheme, it's actually easier to play than good man-to-man defense.

They may get him; they may not. But, as I've stated numerous times, I'm interested more in a player's assets than in his remediable liabilities.

Sam

sam,

Considering just how bad his shooting is White's claim that his shooting is merely "mediocre" could be living in denial.

Agree on the courtvision etc. You can't really teach those things, they're instinctual. You got'em or you don't.

It has been mentioned by numerous people: reporters, GMs and coaches; who have interviewed Royce White as part of the draft appraisal process that he has been extremely forthcoming about his anxiety disorder and his off-court behavior.

As far as fear of flying goes, that often seems to come with people who have nothing else to focus on or think about except for their fears. Wait until he's in a card game with Pierce and another Celtic and they're taking his rookie salary away from him. He'll focus.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Here's another video of Royce White, seemingly scoring all of Iowa State's points, in their win over Kansas, including a bunch in the clutch with the game clock winding down. He is a fullcourt force. Mike Schmidt was dead on when he says that White has a killer right-to-left crossover dribble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sps0J1jgses

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:20 pm

As long as we're obsessing on this draftee (and, btw, I consider this rumor suspect. It is unlike Danny, who loves flexibility and the "you think you know what I'm doing, but you really don't", to make a commitment to a #21 pick) here's another highlight film.

The first half shows a lot of power moves inside, some against bigger players, the second half highlights his courtvision and passing.

Who needs Dooling or Moore to run the 2nd unit offense if we've got Royce? Let Dooling do what he does, play defense and shoot 3s and let Moore do what he does, shoot shoot shoot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DrzVBDoneZI

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:39 pm

I love a guy who has a noise for the rim......you cannot teach that!

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:As long as we're obsessing on this draftee (and, btw, I consider this rumor suspect. It is unlike Danny, who loves flexibility and the "you think you know what I'm doing, but you really don't", to make a commitment to a #21 pick) here's another highlight film.

The first half shows a lot of power moves inside, some against bigger players, the second half highlights his courtvision and passing.

Who needs Dooling or Moore to run the 2nd unit offense if we've got Royce? Let Dooling do what he does, play defense and shoot 3s and let Moore do what he does, shoot shoot shoot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DrzVBDoneZI

bob

Bob

I'm drooling... no not the player, after watching this sort of reminded me of a bigger stronger Adrian Dantley without an outside shot. Aside fro taking it to the hole I rewatched this to double check on something, seems virtually ON EVERY non foul dunk or layup he turned a$$ and got his behind back down the court to play defense. No playing the crowd or strutting staring ect (like Bron). Green would be a nice color on him. but as you say what DA says and does ???? big question.

beat

Actually I watched the prior video the comments I made were concerning that
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 pm

One of the best puns of the year. Don't you know you can win the Board MVP only once?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 pm

BobH,

Excellent point about White possibly being able to run the team when Rondo's not in there. I'm embarrassed not to have thought of that myself. By relieving the Celtics from having to get a PG by trade or free agency, drafting White would be like drafting at least 1 1/2 players if not two.

Just as I'm a lover of versatile players, I'm also a lover of an attack that goes at the opponent from every which way. It seems to me that the Celtics need to get a lot less predictable on offense, and White seems to be the type of guy who could fit that mold. It's silly to bet over-enthusiastic because he could easily be snapped up before the Celtics pick; and I'm not overlooking his shooting difficulties (including free throws). But, on a team like the Celtics, which usually seems to function best when the roster consists of a lot of interchangeable parts, he could fill a lot of roles.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:33 pm

I have watched the videos several times, reviewed the pluses and minuses and there is little doubt in my mind that Royce can flat out ball. only player to lead his team in scoring, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks means he can contribute across the board.

And once he gets nba level physical training and drops 20 pounds he will be even quicker and more explosive. He could steal our hearts.

With two first rounders I see no good reason not to use a pick on him. He is really a physical freak.

In a few more days the rumor that Boston wants him will be proven
Now who else should we draft. how bout a center or a shooter

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 pm

Sam,

No crime for trying!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down