Sully is Smokey the Swag Bear

5 posters

Go down

Sully is Smokey the Swag Bear Empty Sully is Smokey the Swag Bear

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm

An interview with Jessica Camerata of CSNNE with Jared Sullinger. I LOVE his attitude about losing.

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Heinsohn-Sullinger-is-a-perfect-fit-for-?blockID=732588#

Bonus Clip. Tommy talks about Sully and Melo getting picked by the Celtics on draft night.

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Heinsohn-Sullinger-is-a-perfect-fit-for-?blockID=732588

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sully is Smokey the Swag Bear Empty Re: Sully is Smokey the Swag Bear

Post by Sam Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Bob, did you mean to post two different links? I think they're identical.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:26 pm

sam,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have trouble copying CSNNE links.

Here's another page with the Sully interview.

http://redsarmy.com/2012/07/27/jared-sullinger-is-smokey-the-swag-bear/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Bob,

Perfectly understandable. I have trouble reading my birth certificate.

Thanks for the links.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Bob,

If I were a member of the media (perish the thought), I'd drop down and kiss Jared Sullinger's feet. He's a great interview, he's candid, and he has a refreshing, sometimes self-deprecating sense of humor. I've also equated a strong sense of humor with extreme confidence.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:01 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

Thanks for the links.

Sam

sam,

Unfortunately, I don't have a problem reading my birth certificate.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:12 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

Thanks for the links.

Sam

why Sam? chiseling into stone was at the time and advanced technology, everything ought to have been legible or have the yrs worn away the writing?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:17 pm

lol, smokey sullinger.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm

It's my own fault, Matty. Several decades ago, my parents offered to send me to Sanskrit University, and I declined. Now I can't read much of anything from my childhood.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:32 pm

i never took u for hindu Sam
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:59 pm

A new video about and with the Celtics' new rookie. Love his talking on defense. So will KG.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:57 am

A new interview with CSNNE. In it, Sully says he's willing to give up his shots and will rebound. That works for me.

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Sullinger-willing-to-give-up-his-shot-to?blockID=757817&feedID=10424

Jared Sullinger knows how to be a dominating scorer. He also knows his role is about to change this season.

While some rookies enter their first year determined to establish themselves as an offensive presence, the Boston Celtics forward is prepared to make the necessary adjustments to fit into the team’s system.

“As long as we get a number put on to the left side instead of the right side, I’m going to be happy,” Sullinger told CSNNE.com in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

After getting his first taste of the NBA in the Orlando and Las Vegas Summer Leagues last month, where he averaged over 12 points per game, Sullinger has returned home to Ohio. He felt he rushed some of his shots and is working toward getting acclimated to the speed of the NBA game. The 20-year-old is applying the feedback received to his training before the start of the season.

“[The coaches] just said I played really well and there are certain things I’ve got to get better at,” Sullinger said. “Pick-and-roll defense, understanding the offense a little more, understanding that there’s a lot I’m not going to be getting due to having Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo out there on the floor, and obviously Jason Terry. There’s a lot of shots I won’t be normally taking, so I’ve got to get used to it ASAP.”

As a rookie on a veteran squad, Sullinger is ready to embrace his place among his teammates and contribute wherever he can. A dedicated rebounder (he averaged 10.2 boards per game last season), Sullinger is looking forward to crashing the boards and helping the team with second-chance points.

The Celtics are looking forward to him doing that as well. They finished last in the league in rebounding last season.

“I’ve got to find other opportunities to score,” said Sullinger. “Like I tell everybody, rebounding is one of my strong suits of basketball. I’ve got to get ready for rebounding. Hopefully you don’t miss a lot, but if you do, hopefully I’m there to clean it up.”

Sullinger has been working out at his alma mater in preparation for his rookie year. After playing basketball for nearly a year straight, he is currently taking active rest to benefit his body for the upcoming season. An NBA season is significantly longer than one in the NCAA.

“When I say active rest, I’m resting my body but I’m still working out, but not nearly as hard as I was getting ready for the draft,” he explained. “I decided because I’ve been going for a year straight now, non-stop. Last year at this time, I was working out with Ohio State. I took four days off after my season of college basketball and started getting ready for the draft. … I’m playing with the guys at Ohio State. I’m working out doing spot shooting, pick-and-pop shooting, but instead of going for like 2 1/2 hours, I’m only going for an hour. I’m still lifting three times a week.”

While back home, Sullinger, who left college after his sophomore year, has also been continuing his education in pursuit of a sports management degree, a promise he made to his mother. He took an online course at Ohio State and plans to pick up again next offseason.

Once he receives the call that it is time to leave for Boston, he will pick up and make the move to his new city. Although Sullinger was not a member of the 2011-12 squad that lost to the Miami Heat in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, he is bringing a sense of determination to help the Celtics make it even further this season.

“We just want to win,” he said. “Our main goal is winning. Losing to the Miami Heat kind of put a damper on Boston. Like I always say, coming in second in that city is basically coming in last. They don’t tolerate losing, so hopefully we’ll win something.”

High on Sullinger’s must-see list once he arrives in Boston is the TD Garden. He doesn’t want to check out the parquet or scope out the locker room. Sullinger wants to get a glimpse of the banners.

Last season the Buckeyes played at the TD Garden for the NCAA Tournament, but the banners were removed from the rafters during the college games. Sullinger is hungry to see the symbols of victory in person.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing the colorful green-and-white banners and all the retired jerseys,” he said. “Every home game that we play, I can always look up there and know that every last person that won a championship here, every last person that got their number retired here, gave it their all, and it’s the best franchise in the history of franchises. It’s kind of like a reminder of banner 18 needs to come soon.”

Sullinger is willing to accept whatever role he is given on his new team to help make that happen.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 am

Seems like a good kid, good head on his shoulders, father was a coach. DA really did a great job not talking about him much before the draft and he slipped down to a spot that is 10 or 15 below his talent level.

You dont get the #1 HS player in the country 2 years later at pick 22 too often.

Cant wait to see him out there, banging away under the boards.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Seems like a good kid, good head on his shoulders, father was a coach. DA really did a great job not talking about him much before the draft and he slipped down to a spot that is 10 or 15 below his talent level.

You dont get the #1 HS player in the country 2 years later at pick 22 too often.

Cant wait to see him out there, banging away under the boards.

Mrkleen,

The $64 question is "How real was the red flag for his back?" If that was much ado about nothing, then we got extremely lucky for the very reasons you listed. HS player of the year, Dad's a coach, understands the game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 am

From what I have read, his back is not a career threatening type of thing.

Worst case, he plays half the year - his back flares up and he needs surgery - and we have him back next year and into the future. Best case, with the limited minutes - improved therapy and nutrition - he will be just fine.

Most 22nd picks are lucky to make an impact...so it is all upside IMO.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Mrkleen,

From your mouth to the doctors' ears. Hope you're right.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:39 pm

I don't care what event is held at TD Garden. I don't care if it's college basketball, hockey, wrestling, a rock concert, or a Billy Graham cruisade. THOSE BANNERS STAY PUT!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:04 pm

An article from rantsports about Sully. More grist for the mill.

http://www.rantsports.com/boston-celtics/2012/08/20/boston-celtics-player-outlook-2012-2013-jared-sullinger/

We continue to preview the Boston Celtics roster for the 2012-2013 season and today we look at Jared Sullinger’s outlook for this upcoming season. Sullinger is one of three Celtics draft picks from last June’s NBA Draft. A power forward out of Ohio State, he was a key member of Thad Matta’s most recent NCAA Tournament teams. He helped lead them to the Final Four last season where they eventually lost to national runner up Kansas.

Sullinger is an interesting story because after his freshman year of college, he was considered a top 5 pick and a future franchise cornerstone. He weighed the pro’s and con’s and decided that another season in college would benefit him more than leaving early for the NBA. The move was a questionable one as he battled a myriad of injuries this past year and his play suffered. His stock took a hit and the Celtics capitalized as he fell all the way to the 21st pick in the NBA draft. You can bet that GM Danny Ainge and Celtics head coach were doing cart wheels once they saw Sullinger still available. A number of teams were scared off because of back problems. The green knew they had to take a chance because his talent was simply too good to pass up.

Sullinger is an excellent offensive player. He has a wide and strong 6’9 frame. He uses his power and strength in the post to create spots where he can post up and catch the ball. He has an array of moves that he utilizes. He is also a great rebounder on both ends of the glass. Anyone who has watched the Celtics over the past few years knows that rebounding has always been an issue. Sullinger can certainly help out on the glass. He can also hit the open 15-18 foot jumper and this is obviously a quality that the Celtics crave out of their big men.

He does come with his weaknesses as well. His athleticism has always been criticized and against taller players he typically struggles. Head coach Doc Rivers will have to come up with creative ways to make sure he puts Sullinger in the best possible situations to succeed. A decent defender, he struggles with lateral movements and this could hurt his help side defense. He obviously needs to get in better strength and team trainer Brian Doo will make sure that happens.

The role that Jared Sullinger will play for the 2012-2013 season has still yet to be determined. He is a very seasoned player who has the ability to step in and play meaningful minutes. However, the team’s front court rotation is very crowded at the moment. You have to figure he will share minutes with Brandon Bass and Jeff Green. The main reason I expect him to get meaningful minutes to start is simply because of his rebounding ability. For his career, Sullinger has the potential to become an excellent player. For his ceiling, think Carlos Boozer. A floor comparison would be Glen Davis, a former Celtic. The sky is the limit for this young rookie and success should come very soon.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:12 pm

ESPN did their season-beginning player rankings and Sully is ranked #247.

If you assume that the starters on each of the 30 teams are going to be better than any bench player, that means that the first 150 slots are locked up by starters. At 247, Sully is considered a #8 player.

By comparison, overrated Rashard Lewis is ranked #257, Steamer is #270, Andres Biedrins is #284 (Yea! Steamer beat out Biedrins!), lottery pick Austin Rivers is #285, Raptor's starting center Aaron Gray is #287, Royce White is #290 (we'll see about this. LBJ and White are the only players in the NBA that create their own position), Chris "Birdman" Anderson is #297, Tyler Zeller #299 (drafted much higher than Sully), Greg Oden (former #1 pick) is ranked #372.

Perry Jones III, Meyers Leonard (the #11 pick), Moe Harkless (the #15 pick), Andrew Nicholson (remember how we were hoping for him after White was taken by Houston? He ended up going #19) is #378 are even lower than the players listed above.

Ok, so this is just ESPN's opinion (and we all know what that's worth) and the season hasn't even started yet, but it's nice to see that Sully is ranked so high since it says that he's seen as a steal @ #21.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Another interview with Jesse Camerato of CSNNE with Sully. For a 20-year old he sounds great! Happy kid coming from a happy, stable home, saying and doing the right things. He comes across as very grounded and solid. I can almost guarantee this will earn him minutes from Doc who, like all coaches, like to feel confident about what they'll get when they make a substitution. It's not that I have a problem with tattoos (although tats on the neck make me cringe) it's that he made a promise to his mom and he's going to keep it. Love that, absolutely love that.

Jason Terry inked a championship-inspired Boston Celtics logo on his arm this summer. Kevin Garnett also got new artwork while in Canada.

Tattoos are a popular form of expression among professional athletes. But don’t expect Celtics rookie Jared Sullinger to join the trend.

Sullinger, 20, has vowed to stay tattoo-free. He made the promise to someone he wouldn’t dare cross.

“No tattoos,” he recently told CSNNE.com. “I promised my mother. You know if you break a promise, you’re not going to be living for the next days (laughs). I want to live as long as I can, so I’m not going to break that promise.”

That’s not the only promise Sullinger, the youngest of three brothers, made to his mother, Barbara.

The ink he wants to show her will be on his college diploma. Sullinger left Ohio State after his sophomore year and plans to complete his degree online. He took one course this summer while preparing to start his NBA career.

“I want my degree in sports management,” Sullinger said. “I go back to school because I promised my mother I would finish. Again, you know how that goes with mothers. You promise, you better fulfill.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down