Five Celtics things to watch

Go down

Five Celtics things to watch Empty Five Celtics things to watch

Post by 112288 Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:43 pm

BOSTON HERALD

By Mark Murphy

Danny Ainge’s busy summer, which started with the re-signing of Kevin Garnett for three more years, is about to hit the blending stage.

On the 10th anniversary of the Celtics [team stats]’ current ownership, nine newcomers will put on their home whites for today’s media day. The list is as deep as it is varied — guards Jason Terry, Courtney Lee, Dionte Christmas and Lamar Smith; big men Jason Collins and Darko Milicic; rookies Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo and Kris Joseph.

“We’re deep at every position,” said the Celtics president of basketball operations. “There have been other years when we thought we were, and you just can’t plan for injuries. It was ironic last year that it was all of our younger players who got hurt. We have a lot of depth, especially at the big positions.”

Garnett, who had a renaissance last season when forced, out of necessity, to play center, could get some ideas. He could count the number of new big men and request a return to the position he loves — power forward.

But don’t expect to see this shift once the team flies to Turkey on Sunday for the start of its first European training camp in six seasons.

“He’ll still be a 5,” Rivers said of what will happen if Garnett taps on his shoulder with that particular request. “I don’t think Kevin cares as much as he says. I think Kevin just wants to win. If he had to play point (guard) for us to win the title, he would give it a try. That’s who Kevin is.”

Here are five things to watch as the Celtics officially open up camp:

Rondo’s rise

Rajon Rondo has never been shy about where he sees himself in the NBA’s point guard hierarchy. As the Celtics floor leader will tell anyone who asks, he occupies the first chair.

Ainge threw organizational clout behind that belief on Tuesday when he said, “The way he played last year in the playoffs, I thought, was pretty incredible. He proved he’s the best player on the team.”

Pierce may still be captain, and Garnett remains the team’s heart, soul and conscience, but Rondo is the nerve center. Rivers often marveled last season at how well Rondo carried out his orders, often through anticipation and instinct instead of an actual need to listen.

It’s now on Rondo to overcome his occasional emotional breakdowns — especially towards officials — and grow even more into the leadership role.

More than ever, this is his team. This may be the start of his most important training camp yet.

Waiting for Bradley

Ainge has replaced Ray Allen with two interesting players — Jason Terry, the 2009 Sixth Man of the Year, and Courtney Lee.

Terry is a scorer who can shoot and run the offense, and Lee is a shooter who can defend. They will bring energy, offense, and the kind of depth that generally eluded the Celtics last season when Allen and Avery Bradley struggled through injuries.

Terry, who will also back up Rondo, figures to start off the ball until Bradley returns from shoulder surgery, most likely at some point in December.

But Bradley’s unique dynamic as a player who can change games defensively and combine with Rondo to hit opponents with more pressure than any other backcourt in the NBA is obviously on hold.

Training camp gives Rivers time to implement some very different looks in his backcourt, especially when Terry is on the floor with Rondo.

“We wanted a scorer off the dribble,” Rivers said of Terry. “After every season I sit down and write Danny a long letter about needs, and that was my No. 1 need. I didn’t think we had enough guys who could score off the dribble. Rondo can score off the dribble, but we needed a guy who can score and be a knock-down shooter. Courtney Lee is very similar, and that was very important for us.”

The muscular, young talent of Bradley will flesh out what Rivers believes could be the deepest backcourt in the league, provided everyone stays healthy.

“When (Bradley) comes back I don’t know if anyone has a better guard corps than us,” said Rivers. “But in the meantime, it will be those three guys who can play multiple positions, which will be great. I’ve always thought that’s the way I would love to coach, and it looks like we’ll be able to do that.”

Heart monitoring

The Celtics [team stats] set what may have been a tragic first last season when they lost two players — Jeff Green and Chris Wilcox — to heart-related ailments that required surgery.

Both are back, ready for the start of training camp, and surely under the hawkish watch of the team’s medical staff.

If this recovery plan succeeds, both could have enormous impact — Green as Paul Pierce [stats]’s high scoring relief, and Wilcox as a mobile big man who has already demonstrated a great feel for running with Rondo.

Ainge has made an interesting investment here that can’t exactly be called low risk.

Rookie minutes

Rivers’ aversion to handing out minutes to rookies is well known, but there are exceptions. Glen Davis and Leon Powe both fought their way into the rotation during the 2007-08 championship season.

Rookie Jared Sullinger may now have a chance to slip through the same crack in the rotational door. He may already be one of the best rebounders on the team, which isn’t necessarily saying much. The Celtics have lived near the bottom of the NBA rebounding chart for far too long.

But if Sullinger can stand out here — as he clearly did during the summer leagues in Orlando and Las Vegas — then he will be providing the Celtics with a desperately needed service.

Rivers being Rivers, though, Sullinger will also have to fight through a wall of skepticism, not to mention bodies. Beyond Garnett and Brandon Bass, there will be intense competition for big man minutes from a field that includes Jason Collins, Wilcox, Darko Milicic and rookie Fab Melo.

“The young guys all look good when they play against each other, and then the veterans come in and things change a little bit,” said Rivers. “I’m anticipating for (Sullinger) to play. Whether he earns it or not is up to him.”

International bonding

The last time the Celtics [team stats] went overseas, an NBA title followed.

But unlike in the fall of 2007, when the team had time to burn in Rome while they became acquainted, this upcoming trip through Istanbul and Milan will only last eight days. There won’t be a lot of time for Turkish baths or seafood on the Bosphorous.

Back to top Go down