GROUSBECK: RONDO 'REALLY DIALED IN THIS YEAR'

2 posters

Go down

GROUSBECK: RONDO 'REALLY DIALED IN THIS YEAR' Empty GROUSBECK: RONDO 'REALLY DIALED IN THIS YEAR'

Post by 112288 Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:36 pm

weei
By: Jerry Spar

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck paid a visit to Mut & Merloni on Wednesday and talked about the team's prospects for the season. There's been a lot of turnover on the roster, and Grousbeck expressed optimism about the new players.

"Courtney Lee and Jason Terry, they look good. They look like they're meshing in. They look like that's happening," Grousbeck said. "[Jared] Sullinger is stepping up while [Chris] Wilcox is out. Listen, I like these guys. But if you don't like your team in September or October, you're not going to like them ever. This is the honeymoon period of the team. You put the roster together in July, and they haven't played a meaningful game yet, but everybody, including the team, likes this team. The guys believe this can be a special team. And that's where it starts."

Rajon Rondo appears to be spending more time working on his jump shot and leadership skills.

"I think with Rajon, I think every year he's come back more and more focused and dedicated," Grousbeck said. "He managed in his second year to take us to a championship, or be part of that, but now he really wants to be a leader and be an MVP candidate, I think, and get us back. He's talking in the press about how he thinks this is a championship team. He's trying to do his part. He's shooting as much as I've ever seen before games, before and after practice. From what I've seen, he has worked on it. But I think he's worked on it every year, honestly. I don't disparage anything he's done. I just think he's really dialed in this year. He really wants it bad."

Added Grousbeck: "He really is a leader of this team right now. He's kind of taken it by the horns."

Jeff Green had an impressive start to the preseason during the Celtics' European trip.

"I'm amazed," Grousbeck said, adding: "I'm just glad he's alive, honestly. He and Wilcox had aortic aneurism surgery, and we're just glad they're here. I'm amazed that they're out on the court, they're fully cleared, and I like what I see."

Grousbeck's appearance came about in part because he is promoting a charity event, the Sense-ation! Gala to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary's Curing Kids fund. The event is Tuesday night at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.

Back to top Go down

GROUSBECK: RONDO 'REALLY DIALED IN THIS YEAR' Empty Re: GROUSBECK: RONDO 'REALLY DIALED IN THIS YEAR'

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I disagree with Wyc. Last year is a great example: we started out like crap, everybody was calling on Danny to blow the team up, and then we pulled it together in the 2nd half and got to within 12 minutes of the Finals despite numerous and ongoing injuries.

Sure, it's nice to come out of the gate like a bunch of angry war horses, like in 2008, but the race is long and doesn't end until the finish line. It's more important that we like this team in April and May, after they've meshed, than liking them now.

Speaking of 2008, remember how, despite a killer season to-date, we needed frontcourt help for the final kick? And along comes PJ Brown post all-star game.

I like this team, so far, but as Yogi said "it ain't over until it's over" and it ain't over until we lose 4 out of 7 starting in April.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down