DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS

+2
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS Empty DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS

Post by 112288 Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:09 pm

WEEI
By: Paul Flannery

WALTHAM -- Fresh off their trip to Europe, the Celtics returned to the practice court on Wednesday and when the curtain was raised, rookie Jared Sullinger was on the court with the other starters. Sullinger also started the C's final exhibition game in Milan and played well, scoring 25 points to go with 15 rebounds in the two games.

Coach Doc Rivers said he hasn't made any decisions about starters yet, but he suggested that he could use several different lineups depending on the matchup. In addition to Sullinger or Brandon Bass starting at the 4, Rivers said he could use Darko Milicic at center and slide Kevin Garnett back to his familiar turf.

"We can slide Kevin over to the four to start games. The first half of the year I don’t know if that’s a bad thing, so Kevin doesn't have a wrestling match the entire season with the bigs," Rivers said. "There’s a lot of thoughts. We may go to a transitional starting lineup, have three different starting lineups. We’ve put a lot of thought into it, we’ll just figure it out."

Rivers said he is most concerned with the second unit and that increased flexibility could pay dividends for a reserve unit that struggled mightily last season.

"I’m not worried about or starting lineup," Rivers said. "I’m far more worried about our second lineup. That’s the lineup that we’re going to keep moving guys around. I’ve said it before, if you can take a starter and put him on the second unit that’s good for the second unit. I don’t know if we’ll do that, but we may."

As for Sullinger, he drew praise from Rivers, Garnett and Rajon Rondo for his intelligent play on the court.

"He’s probably the smartest rookie we’ve had since I’ve been here," Rondo said. "He’s very intelligent. High basketball IQ and he’s very unselfish. He doesn’t need a play called for him. He’s been getting his points off the dirty work."

Back to top Go down

DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS Empty Re: DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:08 am

This from Gary Washburn of the Globe today. I'm surprised how many days Doc gave them off after coming back from Europe.

WALTHAM -- There was obviously more to Rivers starting Jared
Sullinger on Sunday against Emporio Armani Milano and the rookie has
made quite an impression in training camp. Rivers said he is open to
anything that will boost the versatility of the bench, and the addition
of a pick-and-roll shooter like Brandon Bass in place of Sullinger may
be a strong consideration.

“I’m going to try (Sullinger) a couple of games, and then I’ll throw
Brandon in and then I’ll put Darko (Milicic) in a couple of times,”
Rivers said following the team's workout Wednesday. “You can read into
it whatever you want. But there’s been no decision made on anything.”

Rivers again reiterated that Sullinger has caught the organization by
surprise with his maturity and ability to learn the offense. Sullinger
dropped in the draft because of rumors about potential back surgery
because he has not had any issues during camp.

“He doesn’t think like a rookie, he thinks like a veteran,” Rivers
said. “He plays a great pace. He’s one of our best rebounders. He can
pass the ball and so he does a lot of things that helps our team. And so
we want to keep those guys around.”

When asked if he would consider starting Sullinger, Rivers did not
deny his considering the possibility: “I said that when we drafted him
but I don’t know if that’s true or not. I don’t really want to get into
who’s starting who’s not yet. We’ll see. I’m not worried about our
starting lineup. I’m far more worried about our second lineup, and
that’s the lineup that we’re going to keep moving guys around.”

PRACTICE NOTES

<li>Chris Wilcox did not participate in practice again with a
sore back and it is not known when he will return. Rivers said he knows
nothing more than that.

</li><li>Avery Bradley was in his practice gear but is a '"ways
away" from practicing. He is expected to return from double shoulder
surgery in December.

</li><li>Kevin Garnett called Wednesday a "playoff" like practice
after the club worked out for more than two hours. The Celtics had not
practiced since Thursday in Istanbul.
</li>

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS Empty Re: DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:34 pm

"Mad Scientist" Doc Rivers.

DOC: C'S COULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTING LINEUPS Docmadscientist
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rondo Hondo Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 am

One of the things I really like about this team is the equally talented depth we have. Having the ability to start different units is a good thing if everybody involved is fully in tune with the system your playing. I think we have that ability to rotate guys Bass,Sullinger,Green,Terry,Lee,Wicox and even Darko in and out of different starting combos. This can be a big help in Febuary and March when wear and tear starts to really effect teams. I liked seeing how we could play in a totally diiferent style than we usually do while in Europe and I'm looking forward to Saturday to see how our new lineup can use it versatility against conventional NBA competition.

Rondo Hondo

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:57 am

Rondo Hondo wrote:One of the things I really like about this team is the equally talented depth we have. Having the ability to start different units is a good thing if everybody involved is fully in tune with the system your playing. I think we have that ability to rotate guys Bass,Sullinger,Green,Terry,Lee,Wicox and even Darko in and out of different starting combos. This can be a big help in Febuary and March when wear and tear starts to really effect teams. I liked seeing how we could play in a totally diiferent style than we usually do while in Europe and I'm looking forward to Saturday to see how our new lineup can use it versatility against conventional NBA competition.

rondo Hondo,

First off, welcome to the board. I liked your first post, that's why I'm responding.

The rumor-du-jour is that Doc is considering starting Darko at 5, to save wear-and-tear on KG's body. I am now able to say the name "Darko" without gagging but that's a long way from wanting to see him start. On the other hand, I do like the idea of saving KG's body and it doesn't matter who starts, it's who finishes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:24 am

Rondo,

Welcome to the forum. I hope we'll hear from you early and often—especially on the Game On threads on which we discuss games in progress. I'm sure you'll find this forum not only a treasure trove of information and insight but also a place where caring people support one another in a variety of ways. We're very proud of this board and, of course, ecstatic about this year's prospects for the Celtics.

All the best,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:27 am

Rondo Hondo great name!!! if I wasn't still so enamored with Dave Cowens and all that he brought to the floor I wouldn't mind that name as it ryhmes and ones a HoFer and the other one is gonna have his biggest years torturing foes with a new weapon, the jumper and heading to the HoF.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

R/H

Welcome from the tug hill of upstate NY.

Always like the idea of change for improvment and to catch the other team napping a bit. But to work well the players and Doc must be on the same page. I'd love to see waves of players inserted for a variety of reasons. The obvious giving PP and KG rest but also giving the other team so many different looks that they have to keep playing catch up to us.

Like voting in Chicago.............. post early............post often

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am

beat wrote:R/H

Welcome from the tug hill of upstate NY.

Always like the idea of change for improvment and to catch the other team napping a bit. But to work well the players and Doc must be on the same page. I'd love to see waves of players inserted for a variety of reasons. The obvious giving PP and KG rest but also giving the other team so many different looks that they have to keep playing catch up to us.

Like voting in Chicago.............. post early............post often

beat

beat,

Or like voting in Louisiana, even after you're dead.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down