Howard calls Kobe "75 years old"

+2
Sam
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Howard calls Kobe "75 years old" Empty Howard calls Kobe "75 years old"

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 pm

This was a joke. Howard was trying to be his usual funny self and NOT calling out Kobe.

But you know Kobe hates this type of shit. There are players that are very jealous of their public image and don't see any humor in being the butt of jokes. Joe DiMaggio, Michael Jordan and yes, I think Kobe Bryant too. They are the type of people who resent being talked about like this, remember these things and obsess with payback. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having pride in how people see you and view your game is a good thing and all three of those above players were/are great players and deserve to be treated with respect, but it makes them "off limits" to the usual elbows that get thrown around in a locker room. Nobody ribbed DiMaggio. In fact, if you didn't defer to him as the "Greatest Living Baseball Player" (he was voted that in a poll in 1969), true or not, you were on his blacklist. Even after he retired, he guarded that honor and reputation feverishly. Could you see Scottie Pippen making fun of Jordan when he came back from playing baseball (and playing it poorly too!)? You don't make fun of the King to the King's face. You. Just. Don't. Howard, being the buffoon he is, still hasn't figured that out. That's why it was all about him in Orlando, and he blew that team's chemistry apart with his trade dance. I think he is playing with some serious fire here. I don't see Kobe taking much of this and, quite frankly, I don't think he should. Furthermore, this didn't happen in a post-game interview with Kobe sitting next to him so they could laugh it up. He did it over the PA system and everybody, including rookies, could hear it and have a horselaugh at Kobe's expense too. When, and I don't think it's an "if", Kobe says "enough!", who will take sides with Howard against Kobe? Even if nobody does, even if Howard is left to dangle out there by himself, it's bad chemistry.

Calling someone old when they're not is funny. Calling someone old when they are 34 years old, their knees are becoming issues, they're losing a bit of athleticism and are coming to the end of their careers can sting, especially for those like Kobe, who is perhaps still the most competitive sonuvabitch in the league.

Paint your face, clown. Even at "75" Kobe's twice the player, twice the competitor and is 5x the winner you are.

And, oh yeah, learn to shoot free throws. You're shooting under 50% this year.

bob
P.S. This is not an attack on the Lakers, TJ, just on the class clown. I hope you see it that way.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Howard calls Kobe "75 years old" Empty Re: Howard calls Kobe "75 years old"

Post by Sam Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm

I think 75-year-olds rock!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:02 pm

bobheckler wrote:This was a joke. Howard was trying to be his usual funny self and NOT calling out Kobe.

But you know Kobe hates this type of shit. There are players that are very jealous of their public image and don't see any humor in being the butt of jokes. Joe DiMaggio, Michael Jordan and yes, I think Kobe Bryant too. They are the type of people who resent being talked about like this, remember these things and obsess with payback. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having pride in how people see you and view your game is a good thing and all three of those above players were/are great players and deserve to be treated with respect, but it makes them "off limits" to the usual elbows that get thrown around in a locker room. Nobody ribbed DiMaggio. In fact, if you didn't defer to him as the "Greatest Living Baseball Player" (he was voted that in a poll in 1969), true or not, you were on his blacklist. Even after he retired, he guarded that honor and reputation feverishly. Could you see Scottie Pippen making fun of Jordan when he came back from playing baseball (and playing it poorly too!)? You don't make fun of the King to the King's face. You. Just. Don't. Howard, being the buffoon he is, still hasn't figured that out. That's why it was all about him in Orlando, and he blew that team's chemistry apart with his trade dance. I think he is playing with some serious fire here. I don't see Kobe taking much of this and, quite frankly, I don't think he should. Furthermore, this didn't happen in a post-game interview with Kobe sitting next to him so they could laugh it up. He did it over the PA system and everybody, including rookies, could hear it and have a horselaugh at Kobe's expense too. When, and I don't think it's an "if", Kobe says "enough!", who will take sides with Howard against Kobe? Even if nobody does, even if Howard is left to dangle out there by himself, it's bad chemistry.

Calling someone old when they're not is funny. Calling someone old when they are 34 years old, their knees are becoming issues, they're losing a bit of athleticism and are coming to the end of their careers can sting, especially for those like Kobe, who is perhaps still the most competitive sonuvabitch in the league.

Paint your face, clown. Even at "75" Kobe's twice the player, twice the competitor and is 5x the winner you are.

And, oh yeah, learn to shoot free throws. You're shooting under 50% this year.

bob
P.S. This is not an attack on the Lakers, TJ, just on the class clown. I hope you see it that way.

Bob,

I have no problem with what Dwight did or with you relaying this information.
I bet Kobe got a kick out of it to.
It is good to see Dwight having fun.
So far in a Lakers uniform, he hasn't smiled much because of their lack of success on the court.
Yes, I know Dwight can't be the class clown during an important playoff series, but making jokes, even at Kobe's expense is a good thing.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:43 pm

sam wrote:I think 75-year-olds rock!

Sam

Especially those 70 + that are a young 70-something. I happen to know one in particular, lives out on Cape Cod. Incredible energy; I sure can't keep up with him!

As for Howard, he may be just what the Lakers need right now to keep things light. Sometimes a little looser atmosphere helps to turn a team around. Besides being a defensive force to reckon with, you've got to credit the guy with being one of the funnier personalities in the NBA.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm

NYCelt. I've got the full 75 1/2 going for (or against, depending on one's perspective) me. Still feeling 30 though, which really frustrates Sally.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 am

By contrast, it now appears that Pau Gasol is dealing with tendonitis in both knees. Doesn't talk much, certainly isn't a clown, but plays a very intelligent game. He has a rep for being "soft", but that's just around the basket, I guess. This is the good part of Kobe rubbing off on him.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol has been playing through tendinitis in both knees, a condition that has influenced the four-time All-Star's performance.

"It was just something that started flaring up in the preseason,"
Gasol told reporters after practice Monday. "I didn't want to stop, and I
don't want to stop now. I just don't have that luxury."

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni dishes on his relationship with Kobe
Bryant, Steve Nash's health, Los Angeles' style of play, what he learned
from his time in New York and more.

The tendinitis is more prevalent in his left knee, but Gasol began
wearing straps on both knees this season as a preventive measure. The
pounding Gasol's legs took during former coach Mike Brown's lengthy practices may have contributed to the pain's persistence, according to a source with knowledge of Gasol's thinking.

"It's been bothering me for a while, but again, you play through it
and try to keep it under control," Gasol said. "It's a little limiting,
but it is what it is. There's not much I can do about it."

A 12-year veteran, Gasol said that the tendinitis affects his
"explosiveness" as well as his jumping ability, quickness and overall
athleticism. He said he did not believe the condition of his knees would
cause him to miss any games, however.

"It's been under control, more or less," Gasol said. "Hopefully it
won't force me to miss games, unless I feel like my percentage of
performance is way down and I just can't do that to myself or to the
team."

After a successful summer playing for the Spanish national team at
the London Olympics and the sting of being dangled in the failed Chris Paul trade firmly in his rearview mirror, many believed Gasol was in store for a bounceback season in 2012-13.

But that hasn't been the case, as Gasol is putting up career-low
numbers in points per game (13.4) and shooting accuracy (43.4 percent),
while also having his rebounds (10.4 to 9.1), assists (3.6 to 3.4) and
blocks (1.4 to 1.3) per game averages take a dip from last season.

Things came to a head last week when Gasol totaled just eight points
and nine rebounds in a loss to Sacramento, followed by six points and
four rebounds in a loss to Memphis -- a game in which he was benched
during the fourth quarter.

Gasol's conditioning recently was called into question by teammate Kobe Bryant.
New coach Mike D'Antoni also was blunt about Gasol's benching, telling
reporters he left him on the sideline because he wanted to win the game.

Gasol played in 65 of the Lakers' 66 games last season and all 82 games of 2010-11.

The 32-year-old Gasol played better in the Lakers' win over the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday, totaling 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting along with nine rebounds and three assists in just 28 minutes.

"It tells me what I know about him," D'Antoni said. "He's a great
guy. He's a great competitor. He's got a great career -- he's had one
and will have one. I didn't have any doubts.

"It's just a matter of simplifying and getting everybody knowing what
we want as coaches and getting all the frustrations out, and he did ...
I would have been shocked if he responded in any other way."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:By contrast, it now appears that Pau Gasol is dealing with tendonitis in both knees. Doesn't talk much, certainly isn't a clown, but plays a very intelligent game. He has a rep for being "soft", but that's just around the basket, I guess. This is the good part of Kobe rubbing off on him.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol has been playing through tendinitis in both knees, a condition that has influenced the four-time All-Star's performance.

"It was just something that started flaring up in the preseason,"
Gasol told reporters after practice Monday. "I didn't want to stop, and I
don't want to stop now. I just don't have that luxury."

Heard today on ESPN radio Lakers are talking to Toronto about a Gasol for Bargnani and DeRozan deal (edge in that one would go to LA in my opinion) and also mentioned a possible swap with the Knicks of Gasol for Amar'e Stoudemire, a trade of tendinits for brittle knees. D'Antoni loves Amar'e. He'd love him more if he were five years younger and healthy.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni dishes on his relationship with Kobe
Bryant, Steve Nash's health, Los Angeles' style of play, what he learned
from his time in New York and more.

The tendinitis is more prevalent in his left knee, but Gasol began
wearing straps on both knees this season as a preventive measure. The
pounding Gasol's legs took during former coach Mike Brown's lengthy practices may have contributed to the pain's persistence, according to a source with knowledge of Gasol's thinking.

"It's been bothering me for a while, but again, you play through it
and try to keep it under control," Gasol said. "It's a little limiting,
but it is what it is. There's not much I can do about it."

A 12-year veteran, Gasol said that the tendinitis affects his
"explosiveness" as well as his jumping ability, quickness and overall
athleticism. He said he did not believe the condition of his knees would
cause him to miss any games, however.

"It's been under control, more or less," Gasol said. "Hopefully it
won't force me to miss games, unless I feel like my percentage of
performance is way down and I just can't do that to myself or to the
team."

After a successful summer playing for the Spanish national team at
the London Olympics and the sting of being dangled in the failed Chris Paul trade firmly in his rearview mirror, many believed Gasol was in store for a bounceback season in 2012-13.

But that hasn't been the case, as Gasol is putting up career-low
numbers in points per game (13.4) and shooting accuracy (43.4 percent),
while also having his rebounds (10.4 to 9.1), assists (3.6 to 3.4) and
blocks (1.4 to 1.3) per game averages take a dip from last season.

Things came to a head last week when Gasol totaled just eight points
and nine rebounds in a loss to Sacramento, followed by six points and
four rebounds in a loss to Memphis -- a game in which he was benched
during the fourth quarter.

Gasol's conditioning recently was called into question by teammate Kobe Bryant.
New coach Mike D'Antoni also was blunt about Gasol's benching, telling
reporters he left him on the sideline because he wanted to win the game.

Gasol played in 65 of the Lakers' 66 games last season and all 82 games of 2010-11.

The 32-year-old Gasol played better in the Lakers' win over the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday, totaling 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting along with nine rebounds and three assists in just 28 minutes.

"It tells me what I know about him," D'Antoni said. "He's a great
guy. He's a great competitor. He's got a great career -- he's had one
and will have one. I didn't have any doubts.

"It's just a matter of simplifying and getting everybody knowing what
we want as coaches and getting all the frustrations out, and he did ...
I would have been shocked if he responded in any other way."

bob

Heard on ESPN radio just now Lakers and Toronto are discussing a Gasol for Bargnani and DeRozan trade (advantage goes to LA for that one in my opinion), and also mentioned a possibility of a deal with the Knicks of Gasol for Amar'e Stoudemire, a trade of tendinitis for brittle knees. D'Antoni loves Amar'e. Would love him more if he were five years younger and healthy.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:42 pm

steve3344 wrote:Heard on ESPN radio just now Lakers and Toronto are discussing a Gasol for Bargnani and DeRozan trade (advantage goes to LA for that one in my opinion), and also mentioned a possibility of a deal with the Knicks of Gasol for Amar'e Stoudemire, a trade of tendinitis for brittle knees. D'Antoni loves Amar'e. Would love him more if he were five years younger and healthy.
Good heavens, who is source for these rumors? They sound ridiculous to me. The Lakers have made moves to win this year and/or next with the group they have. They made a major coup by acquiring Howard without having to give up Gasol. Why would they now trade Gasol?

Gasol is a far more complete and versatile player than Bargnani and Stoudemire put together. Yes, DeRozan would be a nice addition, but why give up the best (only?) twin towers lineup in Howard and Gasol for a significant downgrade in Bargnani and Gasol? When a quality pair of big guys is what separates the Lakers from every other contender, especially Miami? Bargnani is the definition of BobH's beloved (cough, cough) "stretch four" -- a power forward who accumulates a good scoring average by jacking up threes and shooting a poor overall percentage while underperforming at the defensive end and on the boards. There's Dirk, who actually honed his game, worked on his deficiencies, and became an elite player who led his team to a championship, and then there's all the Dirk wannabes like Bargnani who just do the outside shooting part of Dirk's game and don't do all the other things Dirk does. On the Lakers, Bargnani would just be a taller Metta World War, standing on the perimeter looking for a pass.

Maybe you can tell I'm not all that thrilled with Bargnani.

And Amare? Please. Gasol may be a couple of years older, but I'd wager he has more career left than Amare. And while Gasol is the example of versatility, what is the opposite of versatility? Amaratility?

I see Gasol as the key piece that can put this Lakers team at the championship level and potentially the biggest beneficiary once Nash returns. Howard is limited offensively but is good with the pick and roll (a Nash specialty) and so devastating around the basket that teams are reduced to doubling and fouling him. Kobe will do what Kobe does, which he has been doing very efficiently this season, by the way, and will continue to do with Nash creating and Howard drawing so much attention inside. With that powerful inside-outside threat of Dwight and Kobe, that leaves seams and openings for Pau, who is excellent at exploiting them, has very good hands to receive passes in traffic, and has an array of shots to finish once he receives the ball. Howard may not be the best at getting the ball to Pau, but Kobe is and Nash will be, especially in D'Antoni's system. Plus Pau is a better rebounder than Amare (who has never averaged double-digit rebounds in his career), a FAR better rebounder than Bargnani, and a FAR better defender than either Amare or Bargnani.

So why would the Lakers consider either one of these trades?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Here's my two cents:

No way would LA touch Amare.
If anybody has watched him play, you will notice that he has lost significant athleticism and lift over the years. He was never a good or tough rebounder, but now he is almost a liability on the court.

As for the Bargnani/DeRozan trade idea, that one is intriguing.
Bargnani is a better outside shooter then Pau and that is what LA would be getting him for. He is also 5 years younger then Pau. Every other aspect of their games, Pau is the superior player. DeRozan is an extremely athletic 23 year old who could be the Lakers SF of the future. He is averaging career highs in rebounds and points. DeRozan's athleticism will help with the D'Antoni/Nash somewhat uptempo offense that we will see soon.

I do think the Lakers need to break up Pau into 2 or 3 pieces that give them more depth and athleticism. With the new restrictions on teams who are over the luxury tax line, the Lakers will not be able to participate in any sign and trades next summer. They are also limited because of having no salary cap room to replace Metta who is expected to be amnestied, so moving Pau during this season seems to be the best plan of action. I am not sure this Toronto trade is enough to motivate the Lakers to trade Pau. I would think there will be better packages offered over the next few months.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Why would Toronto give up Bargnani and DeRozan for a player with tendonitis in both knees and is on the downside of his career? If Toronto was one key player away from contention, and Pau was him, then I could understand.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:49 am

Kobe had a very odd triple-double for Lakers tonight in 79-77 home loss to the Pacers - 40 points, 10 rebounds, 10 turnovers. That's one you don't see every day.

Some grotesque stats in the game: Another nightmare free-throw shooting night for Howard - 3 for 12, and the Laker bench contributed just two made field goals (2 for 15 shooting) in 69 total minutes. George Hill made two great shots in the final minute or so with the last one, a driving layup that Gasol committed too soon on and Howard didn't defend quick enough that Hill hit with :00.1 on the clock with the score tied at 77. Dwight and World Peace missed all four of their free throw attempts with 57 seconds to go and the Lakers down by one.

Players not named Kobe Bryant scored a grand total of 37 points and shot 25% going 1 for 17 on three-pointers for LA. Yikes.

I don't think Kobe's going to be singing "I get by with a little help from my friends" tonight. Especially after his tough three pointer tied the game at 77 with 24.5 seconds to play. The man can't do much more. Although he did have those 10 turnovers...

Kobe and Dwight shot a combined 19 for 38 from the field. The rest of the Lakers? 5 for 38.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 am

steve3344 wrote:Kobe had a very odd triple-double for Lakers tonight in 79-77 home loss to the Pacers - 40 points, 10 rebounds, 10 turnovers. That's one you don't see every day.

Some grotesque stats in the game: Another nightmare free-throw shooting night for Howard - 3 for 12, and the Laker bench contributed just two made field goals (2 for 15 shooting) in 69 total minutes. George Hill made two great shots in the final minute or so with the last one, a driving layup that Gasol committed too soon on and Howard didn't defend quick enough that Hill hit with :00.1 on the clock with the score tied at 77. Dwight and World Peace missed all four of their free throw attempts with 57 seconds to go and the Lakers down by one.

Players not named Kobe Bryant scored a grand total of 37 points for LA. Yikes.

Steve,

That was an amazingly horrific shooting game by both teams. With Kobe being sick, I can't imagine what the game would have looked like for LA if he didn't play. After destroying Dallas on the road in their previous game, everyone not named Kobe and Dwight had nightmare games. These losses are not on D'Antoni. He can't make free throws for them. Even Dwight was nothing special.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down