Free agents and the salary cap

3 posters

Go down

Free agents and the salary cap Empty Free agents and the salary cap

Post by swish Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm

The free agent issue always gets a lot of play in Celtic land. Since the Salary Cap rules are the major factor in determining a teams limits of participation it can be quite helpful to have at least a little knowledge in certain areas about the "cap". Click onto below
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#73

Go to the index and review numbers 29, 30, 31, 32, 33. In suggesting free agent signings I think that some people are unaware of these rules,

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Free agents and the salary cap Empty Re: Free agents and the salary cap

Post by Sam Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:05 pm

We're also fortunate to have a resident expert. gyso has made a thorough study of the collective bargaining agreement and salary cap regularions. He's like an encyclopedia.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:02 pm

swish,

That is a great site to get information.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that Pierce can opt out, we can sign a max free agent and then resign Pierce to an extension. The chart in #30 shows the error in that plan.

That chart indicates something called the cap hold. In Pierce's case, it is 150%. That number stays on the books until he signs with us, signs with another team or we renounce him. (#32)

We want to keep him, so we don't renounce. I don't see Pierce taking a lot less, certainly not anywere near Rondo's salary level. Maybe he just extends the contract at a somewhat lower number. That leaves us at or over the salary cap with just Pierce, KG, Sheed, Perk, Davis and Rondo. Add Ray a a lower salary and we are near (or over) the penalty.

Crunch all the numbers you want, we can't sign any free agent contract for more than the MLE. We don't have the LLE (Bi-annual) next year because we used it on Daniels.

Our hands are tied. The loopholes are closed. Wyc cannot just open up his checkbook and sign on the dotted line.

That is why I was excited to hear about the Nocioni trade rumor. It was said that he would be expensive for a backup. Perhaps. The fact that he would on the books for a couple more years and may even be starter material for other teams in the league, his value in later years may be in a trade. You have to have someone of value to trade for someone of value.

I could go on and on here, but it is time to eat.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 pm

gyso
Thanks for the response. I have been using this site for about 2 years. I have quoted from it a few times but for the most part I stay away from the Salary Cap issues. Its a issue that most posters seem to neglect and voice their opinion without taking the time to research the subject. I have been very aware of your keen knowledge of the subject for some time. Keep up the good work.
swish

P.S
Add#20 to the list (How the MLE is handled when a team is below the Salary Cap)

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:26 pm

gyso,

I took the liberty of adding that link to the "Links" thread.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:06 am

Sam,

Thanks for grabbing the link. It is a usefull place once you learn how to navigate it.

They got me going on the free agent thing today. I did come up with a scenario that nets us Bosh or someone like him. I layed it all out in the Chris Bosh thread.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 am

swish wrote:gyso
Thanks for the response. I have been using this site for about 2 years. I have quoted from it a few times but for the most part I stay away from the Salary Cap issues. Its a issue that most posters seem to neglect and voice their opinion without taking the time to research the subject. I have been very aware of your keen knowledge of the subject for some time. Keep up the good work.
swish

P.S
Add#20 to the list (How the MLE is handled when a team is below the Salary Cap)

swish

swish,

#20 closes another loop hole. It is for when a team is under the sal cap, but close to it. They can't sign a free agent to bring them right to the limit and then use exceptions, like the MLE or LLE, etc. to sign more players, going over the limit in the process. They are considered to be over the limit already (by adding in the value of their available exceptions to their actual team salary) and thus have to use the exceptions to sign any free agents.

There is a lot of good stuff here.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down