Teams need to sign free agents this summer, many will be max salary players

5 posters

Go down

Teams need to sign free agents this summer, many will be max salary players Empty Teams need to sign free agents this summer, many will be max salary players

Post by tjmakz Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 pm

I saw an interesting tweet about Bradley Beal.
The player is not really relevant, but I think this shows the mentality that teams and GM's will have this summer.
With so many teams with cap space, players who you can't imagine will be getting max or near max deals.
I could see Sullinger getting $12m to $15m from a team that has money they have to spend.

Amin Elhassan, a former front-office executive for the Phoenix Suns and currently a front-office insider for ESPN, spoke to D.C.’s ESPN 980 AM about Beal on Thursday. He was asked if Beal is/will be a max player when free agency opens July 1: “That question is going to be so irrelevant July 1 because there are 20-plus teams that are going to have max space, 20-plus million dollars. It doesn’t matter if you say, ‘Well, I don’t think so.’ You wait long enough. I was talking to a front office executive from a team about a week ago and I said, ‘Oh I can’t wait for July 16.’ He said, ‘What do you mean July 16?’ I said, ‘We know all the good deals will be done in the first couple weeks but July 16 that’s when the lights come on in the club and you’re looking for anything to go home with. These teams are going to be throwing money at whoever has a pulse. Even if you don’t think Bradley Beal is a max deal player, give it a week. I guarantee you he’ll be a max player somewhere.”

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Teams need to sign free agents this summer, many will be max salary players Empty Re: Teams need to sign free agents this summer, many will be max salary players

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:03 am

it is true that almost every team will have a lot of cap space.

But I thought that a "max deal" was always based on a % of the Salary cap.

IF that is correct, then it's all relative first off and secondly $20M will NOT be a max deal next year.

will 20 players gets $20M or more deal...possibly. and maybe that is the correct way to think about it.

a lot of teams will get themselves in trouble by signing players for a lot more than they are worth, just because they happen to be a FA this year and next. At least in my opinion.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Teams need to sign free agents this summer, many will be max salary players Empty Re: Teams need to sign free agents this summer, many will be max salary players

Post by tjmakz Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:06 am

There are three tiers for max salary contracts, based on years of service.
For the 2016-17 season, the amounts will be approximately:
Years 1-6: $21.0m
Years 7-9: $25.3m
Years 10+ : $29.5m

Since all teams will have a salary floor of about $80+m, most teams will be very aggressive trying to sign players to money that seems excessive to what we are accustomed to.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/projecting-2015-2016-max-salary-tiers/
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:09 am

Using Bradley Beal as an example, I do not see giving guys like him max money even if a team has max money available because guys like Beal do not project to be worth max money for the entire length (4? 5? 6? years) of such a contract.

I know that people with money find ways to spend said money, but a guy like Beal getting a long term max deal will potentially kill your salary limitations for many of the years he is under contract.

Some guys will well be worth gambling such a length of the contracts that most guys will get along with their max money. Durant falls into this category, but not Beal or a Beal type player. Durant will be good enough for say three or four years (and possibly longer) to warrant paying him max money for six years. Beal may be only be worth max money for one of the years of his long term contract.

Having money in your pocket for max contracts right now and knowing what you may want to do over a period of years may determine how successful any GM will be successful will be for that six year time period. Even with money to spend some long term thoughts need to be added to a team's logical plans.

Beal, and guys like him, are not going to be worth a max contract, and I certainly hope that Ainge does not go this route for the Cs.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:30 am

wideclyde wrote:Using Bradley Beal as an example, I do not see giving guys like him max money even if a team has max money available because guys like Beal do not project to be worth max money for the entire length (4? 5? 6? years) of such a contract.

I know that people with money find ways to spend said money, but a guy like Beal getting a long term max deal will potentially kill your salary limitations for many of the years he is under contract.

Some guys will well be worth gambling such a length of the contracts that most guys will get along with their max money.  Durant falls into this category, but not Beal or a Beal type player.  Durant will be good enough for say three or four years (and possibly longer) to warrant paying him max money for six years.  Beal may be only be worth max money for one of the years of his long term contract.

Having money in your pocket for max contracts right now and knowing what you may want to do over a period of years may determine how successful any GM will be successful will be for that six year time period.  Even with money to spend some long term thoughts need to be added to a team's logical plans.

Beal, and guys like him, are not going to be worth a max contract, and I certainly hope that Ainge does not go this route for the Cs.

There are no more 6 year contracts.
If a team has a players Bird rights, then can re-sign a player for 5 years.
If a team does not have his Bird rights, they can only offer a 4 year contract.
I believe that Beal and Whiteside will be max salary players that receive 4 year contracts.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:55 am

thanks for the breakdown of max deals next year, per time in league.

so based on that and Hoopshypes' top 20 Free agents, here is the MAX for each player.

1.K. Durant- $25.3M first year
2.L. James- $29.5M
3.A. Drummond- $21.0M
4.D. DeRozen- $25.3M
5.P. Gasol- $29.5M
6.A. Horford- $25.3M
7.B. Beal- $21.0M
8.D. Howard- $29.5M
9.D. Wade- $29.5M
10.M. Conley- $25.3M
11. H. Whiteside- $21.0M
12. H. Barnes- $21.0M
13. C. Parsons- $25.3M
14. D, Nowitzki- $29.5M
15. R. Rondo- $29.5M
16. T. Duncan- $29.5M
17. N. Batum- $25.3M
18. A. Jefferson- $29.5M
19. R. Anderson- $25.3M
20. J. Clarkson- $21.0M

others of note:
21. J. Noah- $25.3M
24. E. Turner- $25.3M
33. J. Sullinger- $21.0M

now I am not saying that each of these payers will get max money, as teams would be very foolish to do that. But you can BET that every agent for EACH of those players listed see that number as the starting point in negotiations.

I see 13 players on that list getting a deal that cost $20M or more in the first year.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Giving max contracts to medium level ability players happens all the time. That is nothing new and the fact that the salary cap will increase won't change it. Usually the teams that do this are stuck with those players, don't have enough cap space to add better players and fail to get to the next level.

A good GM won't fall into that trap. Hopefully Danny Ainge is a good GM.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:23 pm

I know I am probably alone in this thinking, but I've said before that signing Pau Gasol to a 2 year deal could be a good move.

he is playing at a high level and has always been a good teammate. Go-to scorer, rebounder and better defender than many realize. Championship history also.

a 2 year deal would give the team the cap space when many of our current deals are up.

Granted Durant would be the show stopper, but if he has no interest...could Gasol be the next best option?

we are not getting James and Drummond is saying at Detriot.
DeRozen is probably a lock to replace Kobe at LA.

Gasol for two years or Horford or Howard for four at max or near?

makes you think a bit
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:13 pm

kdp,

Pau Gasol at the number above, $29.5M?

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:38 pm

No need to force the issue this year. There will be ample chances over the next 2 or 3 years to obtain the necessary players needed to make a serious run at a championship.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:54 pm

nah, I was thinking more like $20M per.

of course he could command more.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down